Statement from Dan Patrick on Campus Carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Statement from Dan Patrick on Campus Carry

Post by G.A. Heath »

Earlier today I saw on twitter a statement from our Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Campus Carry. He also mentions OC in the statement but you can view it for yourself at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8ePCADCAAAI8w2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I refuse to hotlink any image).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Statement from Dan Patrick on Campus Carry

Post by Beiruty »

flip-flopping again. OCT members were on the phone and email. I heard both were shut down due to the high volume of traffic (rumor or not, I am not sure).
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

I guess panic buttons were a greater priority.

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I fail to see a flip, a flop, or even a flip flop. He said he doesn't think there are the votes for OC are there, he didn't say that he was giving up on it. Additionally his statement that he didn't think that the votes for OC were there focuses the attention of OC radicals, such as Watkins and OCTC, on him and it may keep them from doing more damage to OC with other legislators.

I am also willing to bet he has a panic button himself, although his panic button is probably quite loud and dangerous when pressed...
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jmra

Post by jmra »

I don't see a flip flop here either. One of the lawmakers needs to grab hold of the idea that OCT does not want licensed OC and sell it as a way to stick it to the OCT people (as someone on here suggested earlier). Maybe that will garnish the support that is currently lacking.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

I believe it is very important for us pro gun citizens to be rational and level headed when assessing what is being said by those directly involved rather than just emotionally jumping to negative conclusions. We need to make sure we maintain as much separation between us and the overeager idiot zealots.

Just my thoughts.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

While OCTC has taken OCT poor tactics to a new extreme, OCT and CATI have already attacked two hugely pro-gun Senators alleging that they do not support unlicensed open-carry. This claim is based upon their filing and/or cosponsoring licensed open-carry bills. I have been advising folks that their demonstrations and "all or nothing" approach was taking a toll on the open-carry issue in Austin, but the warnings fell on deaf ears. They were convinced they had massive support in Austin. When NRA and TSRA lobbyists worked hard to bring open-carry back to the realm of possibility, OCTC/Kory Watkins strike again with the media stunt in Pancho's office. To think that the OCT/OCTC antics, the "all or nothing" attitude and the false allegations against staunchly pro-gun elected officials does not have a negative impact on the issue proves they have no grip on political reality.

I too do not know if Gov. Patrick is backing away from the open-carry issue or if he's just stating the facts. There could well be a good number of Senators who will not fall on their political swords for a gaggle of goons. It is sad that a few thousand Texans "joined" those organizations with the best of intentions, only to see the leadership launch a scorched earth policy that made the organization and their members look like unreasonable, irresponsible political neophytes.

What will be far more telling to me is how the many other pro-gun bills fare in the Senate this session. None have been the victim of the counterproductive tactics used to support open-carry.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles, I take it by your comments, you do not perceive the legislators are "tying" all the pro-gun bills to the idiots, just the unlicensed open carry bills?

I would be OK with licensed open carry passing this session if anything just to spite the idiot zealots.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:Charles, I take it by your comments, you do not perceive the legislators are "tying" all the pro-gun bills to the idiots, just the unlicensed open carry bills
You are absolutely correct. The other pro-gun bills have nothing to do with open-carry and, in my view, most are far more important than open-carry. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, who can carry and where we can carry is far more important than how we can carry.

Chas.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

jmra wrote:*snip*One of the lawmakers needs to grab hold of the idea that OCT does not want licensed OC and sell it as a way to stick it to the OCT people (as someone on here suggested earlier). *snip*
Though I share your sentiment, theses representatives represent everyone...me...you...Korey Wilkins...their integrity is on the line when they decide to legislatively 'stick it' to anyone in Texas.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Charles, I take it by your comments, you do not perceive the legislators are "tying" all the pro-gun bills to the idiots, just the unlicensed open carry bills
You are absolutely correct. The other pro-gun bills have nothing to do with open-carry and, in my view, most are far more important than open-carry. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, who can carry and where we can carry is far more important than how we can carry.

Chas.

I'm thankful they are able to make the distinction. I say let's get what we can this session and keep fighting for more progress.

CJD

Post by CJD »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Just pointing out that Constitutional carry legislation would open up who can carry dozens of times over.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CJD wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Just pointing out that Constitutional carry legislation would open up who can carry dozens of times over.
So would repeal of Chp. 46 of the Texas Penal Code, but neither has any chance of passage.

Chas.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

I'm thankful they are able to make the distinction. I say let's get what we can this session and keep fighting for more progress.
But yet they fail to make the distinction between OCTC and the rest of us, so yes lets be grateful for the crumbs our rulers leave us with. Does that sum it up?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

suthdj wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

But yet they fail to make the distinction between OCTC and the rest of us, so yes lets be grateful for the crumbs our rulers leave us with. Does that sum it up?

From a myopic cynical point of view, yes. However, we are dealing with the situation as it is currently, not what we want it to be.

Are wars won by winning the war or winning battles along the way as part of the overall objective of winning the war?

Do we really want to come across as this lunatic does? http://www.mediaite.com/online/time-to- ... th-lt-gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”