Trashing Dan Patrick is providing cover for Speaker Straus

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Trashing Dan Patrick is providing cover for Speaker Straus

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

While a few folks are trying hard to make open-carry the focus of the entire 2015 Texas Legislative Session by attacking Dan Patrick, Speaker Straus is being ignored.

A wiser course is to get back to the job of supporting and promoting all pro-gun bills and defeating the anti-gun bills and keeping a close watch on both legislative bodies.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Trashing Dan Patrick is providing cover for Speaker Stra

Post by mojo84 »

Charles, this is exactly why I started the thread about Straus and the house following suit. From what I've seen, Patrick has done what he can so far. Straus had not.

My post was in no way to heap praise on Patrick as it's too early for that. It was to challenge Straus and put the focus on him and the house.

viewtopic.php?f=133&t=75973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XinTX »

Well my Rep did vote for Strauss. Guess I need to ding him once more and let him know that if Strauss bottles up legislation once more, he'll hear about his support for Strauss during the next primary season.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:...Speaker Straus is being ignored.

A wiser course is to get back to the job of supporting and promoting all pro-gun bills and defeating the anti-gun bills and keeping a close watch on both legislative bodies.

Chas.
Agreed, but doesn't Patrick's quote that the votes aren't there give Straus cover too?

***Edited to add:
I think the bigger issues are still Campus Carry, HB308, and HB226/SB273. Straus can't hide from these.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Rrash wrote:

Chas.
Agreed, but doesn't Patrick's quote that the votes aren't there give Straus cover too?

***Edited to add:
I think the bigger issues are still Campus Carry, HB308, and HB226/SB273. Straus can't hide from these.

I think it let's us know we citizens have more work to do.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Rrash wrote:

Chas.
Sure it does on that one issue, but while some people are focusing on a backyard fire in the Senate, they are ignoring a potential forest fire in the House.
Let's see what which, if either, is actually burning before we call out the fire brigade. This goes back to the divide between those who think the 2015 Legislative Session rises or falls on open-carry alone, and those who want to see gun rights expanded on a much broader scale.

Chas.

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

Thanks for your leadership and quick communication on these topics, Charles.

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Rrash wrote:

Chas.
Sure it does on that one issue, but while some people are focusing on a backyard fire in the Senate, they are ignoring a potential forest fire in the House.
Let's see what which, if either, is actually burning before we call out the fire brigade. This goes back to the divide between those who think the 2015 Legislative Session rises or falls on open-carry alone, and those who want to see gun rights expanded on a much broader scale.

Chas.
Wise counsel, Charles. Count me among the latter. I love that the playing field has expanded and there is much yet to be determined but ultimately we have to get done what we can and live to fight another day on the remainder.

SA-TX

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I ran across this article and remembered this post made by Charles. While it's too early to make any final assessments about how this session had gone, here is an article that gives some insight into how Straus works and how he is able to hide behind and let others do his dirty work.

http://www.wcmessenger.com/2015/news/ge ... kers-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also believe it gives some insight into how and why getting pro gun legislation to the floor and passed isn't a slamdunk even with the majority of both houseus and the governor republican.

ws03

Post by ws03 »

SA-TX wrote:Sure it does on that one issue, but while some people are focusing on a backyard fire in the Senate, they are ignoring a potential forest fire in the House.Let's see what which, if either, is actually burning before we call out the fire brigade. This goes back to the divide between those who think the 2015 Legislative Session rises or falls on open-carry alone, and those who want to see gun rights expanded on a much broader scale.Chas.
I agree it's too early to name the good guys and the bad guys. When it's all over there will be lots of time to deal with the problem children. I can remember things for two years. I am just very thankful that they only get to meet every two years. Maybe we should look at a constitutional amendment to only let them meet every four years. :txflag:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

ws03 wrote:
SA-TX wrote:Sure it does on that one issue, but while some people are focusing on a backyard fire in the Senate, they are ignoring a potential forest fire in the House.Let's see what which, if either, is actually burning before we call out the fire brigade. This goes back to the divide between those who think the 2015 Legislative Session rises or falls on open-carry alone, and those who want to see gun rights expanded on a much broader scale.Chas.
I agree it's too early to name the good guys and the bad guys. When it's all over there will be lots of time to deal with the problem children. I can remember things for two years. I am just very thankful that they only get to meet every two years. Maybe we should look at a constitutional amendment to only let them meet every four years. :txflag:
Do you realize the post you quoted is 3 1/2 months old?

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus yet but trying to make folks aware.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:While a few folks are trying hard to make open-carry the focus of the entire 2015 Texas Legislative Session by attacking Dan Patrick, Speaker Straus is being ignored.

Chas.
Thank you

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Correct. There's a reason why every single Democrat is going to vote for Straus. Straus will be reelected, but the focus on the Speaker's race for the first time in 40 years may well force Straus to act like a Republican. Then again, he may not because this could well be his last session.

Chas.
Let's all hope it's his last session. My rep voted against him, I sent him a quick note of thanks when he did.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I'm locking this thread, not because anyone has violated our Rules, but because I started it in response to a specific problem at the beginning of the legislative session. It's no longer timely, but another thread can be started. I suggest we wait until the session is over before doing so.

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”