SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Post by K5GU »

While in committee, Senator Zaffirini said she was working on an amendment for "External ID" for open carry folks to wear. I suppose this is to help LEO's, etc., to identify licensed open carry individuals? How would this be enforceable?
Life is good.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB 17 about to go to the Senate Floor - Amendments?

Post by CoffeeNut »

I guess it would be enforceable by an LEO not seeing a visual indicator as to your ability to carry legally. Obviously the legislature would have to define what a visual indicator for legal OC is and how it should be displayed for it to ever work. I don't see this amendment having a chance because it is really dumb and will lead to a lot of people mistaking an open carrier for an LEO or whatever. I'm not a cop so I won't wear a badge and I'm not going to wear my CHL on my sleeve so everyone can see where my guns are located.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Winchster

Post by Winchster »

This statement needs a sarcasm font:

Won't the gun give it away?
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by v7a »

If the idea is that LEOs would simply notice/observe this "external ID" from a distance, then it's useless because criminals could simply carry a fake ID. Unless the LEO is up close they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a real and fake ID.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Zaffarini is throwing amendments in an attempt to stall and potentially kill the bill. That is the only reason.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:Zaffarini is throwing amendments in an attempt to stall and potentially kill the bill. That is the only reason.
So we are not going to get badges??? :smilelol5:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

jimlongley wrote:
Keith B wrote:Zaffarini is throwing amendments in an attempt to stall and potentially kill the bill. That is the only reason.
Maybe an OC Sash in hot pink.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jimlongley wrote:
[video][/video]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

I think she said she has 12 amendments during the hearing. She probably came up with more since then.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 21

Post by joe817 »

mojo84 wrote:I think she said she has 12 amendments during the hiring. She probably came up with more since then.
I think you're right. And that gives credence to Keith's statement. Stalling for time, hoping to to time out the bill. :mad5

But I'm an optimist. I think there is strength in this bill and that may carry it through the Senate. :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

howdy

Post by howdy »

I have seen a few (very few) LEO's open carrying while in civilian clothes. They always have a badge showing. Is this required or do they just do it to avoid the hassle and public concern? I would not give the liberal politicians any ideas about the pink sash. :???:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I believe any amendment which has any kind of external ID requirement should have the words "VOTE REPUBLICAN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS" clearly visible on the ID mechanism. see if the amendment passes with that.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

joe817

Post by joe817 »

G.A. Heath wrote:I believe any amendment which has any kind of external ID requirement should have the words "VOTE REPUBLICAN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS" clearly visible on the ID mechanism. see if the amendment passes with that.
"rlol" :smilelol5: :lol: :woohoo
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

When does this go for a vote?

And I really hope they change "belt or shoulder holster" to "holster" and no retention requirement, since there is no standard for that.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

locke_n_load wrote:When does this go for a vote?

And I really hope they change "belt or shoulder holster" to "holster" and no retention requirement, since there is no standard for that.
I just learned something very interesting, while poking around the web. Found this from the Texas Observer:

"....The chair of the Senate Committee on State Affairs, state Sen. Joan Huffman (R-Houston), seemed eager to get the two bills out of her committee—it’s unusual to vote on a bill on the day of its first hearing, but that’s what happened.

Was that because Huffman loved the bills, or because she wanted to wash her hands of them? Either way, the bills can’t be considered on the floor until the 60th day of the session—which falls on March 13—unless Gov. Greg Abbott declares the gun bills an emergency priority. So there’s not a clear reason for the rush.

Full text of the article:

http://www.texasobserver.org/open-carry ... irst-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, we at least know(according to Texas Observer) when we can expect that SB11 & SB17 can first be brought up for debate in the Senate. About a month from now. :totap: [patiently waiting]
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”