Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PaJ
Posts in topic: 15

Re: Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Post by PaJ »

KD5NRH wrote:
PaJ wrote:Please note: I believe campus police receive the same training and are as good as other LEO's.
Apparently that was the local campus police chief's argument against it. He never would explain just what magic powers the regular PD would use to handle the exact same situation at HEB that he claimed his officers couldn't deal with in a classroom.
I could be wrong. Or this chief could be lazy. But all other on campus first responders are trained to work on campus or off (EMT, clinic providers, etc). Where does one go to the Police Academy Lite so they can only work on college campuses. His comments don't make sense to me.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

PaJ wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
PaJ wrote:Please note: I believe campus police receive the same training and are as good as other LEO's.
Apparently that was the local campus police chief's argument against it. He never would explain just what magic powers the regular PD would use to handle the exact same situation at HEB that he claimed his officers couldn't deal with in a classroom.
I could be wrong. Or this chief could be lazy. But all other on campus first responders are trained to work on campus or off (EMT, clinic providers, etc). Where does one go to the Police Academy Lite so they can only work on college campuses. His comments don't make sense to me.
Your information couldn't be further from the truth. My department sends me to more training then city or county LEOs. My buddies who work for local departments always complain that when they put in for training their dept always has the same excuses of "we don't have the man power to cover your shift and we lack funds." My college dept however sends me to whatever I want. I've been through advanced rifle and handgun training and may go to a sniper class this summer. I wanna go to a week long SWAT certification class also.

We go through the same academy and hold the same peace officers license from TCOLE as any other LEO in Texas, we are real police officers despite what you or others think.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

An op-ed from Students for Concealed Carry, in the UT-A student paper: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RogueUSMC »

nightmare69 wrote:
PaJ wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
Your information couldn't be further from the truth. My department sends me to more training then city or county LEOs. My buddies who work for local departments always complain that when they put in for training their dept always has the same excuses of "we don't have the man power to cover your shift and we lack funds." My college dept however sends me to whatever I want. I've been through advanced rifle and handgun training and may go to a sniper class this summer. I wanna go to a week long SWAT certification class also.

We go through the same academy and hold the same peace officers license from TCOLE as any other LEO in Texas, we are real police officers despite what you or others think.
That's what he was saying...campus PDs train at least to the level of other departments.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

RogueUSMC wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
PaJ wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:

That's what he was saying...campus PDs train at least to the level of other departments.
And as such, allowing chl in the buildings shouldn't require any additional training.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

PaJ
Posts in topic: 15

Post by PaJ »

nightmare69 wrote:
PaJ wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:

Nm,

we are on the same page. My apologies if there was a misunderstanding. My point was that campus police are fully trained, 100% police, so I don't understand where the chief mentioned in the article is coming from.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

PaJ,

I knew we were on the same page. For some reason peoe think that ISD and university police are not 'real' police. Some of our students believed that if they make it off campus we had to disengage pursuit, wrong.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

nightmare69 wrote:PaJ,

I knew we were on the same page. For some reason peoe think that ISD and university police are not 'real' police. Some of our students believed that if they make it off campus we had to disengage pursuit, wrong.
So, just outta curiousity, what is y'all's jurisdictional radius...before ya gotta get 'the real police' involved? ( say that in jest because that's prolly how the students see ya...lol)
- Napoleon Bonaparte

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Or can y'all go all 'Buford T. Justice' and cross four states?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RogueUSMC wrote:Or can y'all go all 'Buford T. Justice' and cross four states?
If its outside our campus I'll get involved and stay till local LE arrives, let them take the report. I can assist them too but I try to stay within a few miles of campus.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Makes sense. Don't do anything in their sandbox that you wouldn't appreciate them doing in yours I guess.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

nightmare69 wrote:PaJ,

They used to think that when I was in college also. We all heard it wasn't true then too. I do recall lots of TV shows when I was a kid where cops would supposedly have to turn around at the county line or something. I think Dukes of Hazard had that a lot.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigGuy »

MechAg94 wrote: They used to think that when I was in college also. We all heard it wasn't true then too. I do recall lots of TV shows when I was a kid where cops would supposedly have to turn around at the county line or something. I think Dukes of Hazard had that a lot.
This movie from 1974 probably had a lot to do with it also. Macon County Line. It was popular my senior year. IIRC, the plot ( that's a generous term ) involved outrunning a corrupt sherif to the county line.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”