Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxD
Posts in topic: 1

Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Post by TxD »

What a crock.

"According to fiscal analyses drawn up by Texas' higher education systems and obtained by the Houston Chronicle, so-called campus carry would cost the University of Texas and University of Houston systems nearly $47 million combined over six years to update security systems, build gun storage facilities and bolster campus police units."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/ho ... 094445.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Black Rifles Matter

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Campus carry would cost Texas colleges millions

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Build gun storage facilities?

psijac

Post by psijac »

Didn't the last legislative session just give them that same amount of money, for fits and giggles?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Any data on what it cost in other states?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

am i missing something? campus carry would entail students and faculty with CHL's to carry on their person on campus.....why do you need gun storage facilities?
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Resources that would be well justified and spent if true, which I doubt. The biggest question is when did these folks become concerned about spending other peoples money?
III

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

This is nothing more than the anti's attempt to throw everything they can against the wall, hoping something sticks.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

This is so silly. They're conjuring up pictures of tens of thousands of peach-fuzz frat boys walking around armed to the teeth. Most college students aren't even old enough to buy a handgun, much less get a CHL to carry one around. Pure media-driven hysteria.

That being said, I remember being in some graduate seminars on weeknights at the University of Texas and walking half a mile or more through dark sidewalks and vast parking garages. It was pretty scary sometimes. Having a weapon for security would have been a comfort.
-Ruark

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

As an university LEO, the only change I could see is students with CHLs who live on campus either in dorms or apartments being required to buy some sort of lock box to store their firearm when not carrying on their person. Sure policy will change for those students but I think people are freaking out over nothing.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Ruark wrote:This is so silly. They're conjuring up pictures of tens of thousands of peach-fuzz frat boys walking around armed to the teeth. Most college students aren't even old enough to buy a handgun, much less get a CHL to carry one around. Pure media-driven hysteria.
You and I and everyone on the forum knows that, as well as a lot of people in the Texas Legislature. I'd wager the Houston Chronicle knows that. BUT if they printed the FULL story and truth, they would lose their ability to print half-truths to further their agenda, and decrease their ability to sensationalize the news to sell more newspapers. More ubber liberal lies.
:mad5 :grumble

The sad thing is, is that their readers look to them to fully disclose the truth.....which they do not!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

This is a bunch of bull. However, if it was true, it would be just a drop in a bucket compared to their overall budget.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

nightmare69 wrote:As an university LEO, the only change I could see is students with CHLs who live on campus either in dorms or apartments being required to buy some sort of lock box to store their firearm when not carrying on their person. Sure policy will change for those students but I think people are freaking out over nothing.
I would bet that the number of 21 year olds still living on campus is not very big.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nightmare69 wrote:As an university LEO, the only change I could see is students with CHLs who live on campus either in dorms or apartments being required to buy some sort of lock box to store their firearm when not carrying on their person.
Exactly right. It's perfectly legal to carry handguns all over campus now (excluding buildings), so there would be no reason to install any new security equipment or personnel. Schools don't have metal detectors at entrances to buildings now and it is not legal to carry into buildings. If there is no need for them now, why would a school need them when it's legal to carry in buildings?

It's a blatant lie.
Chas.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

And this blatant lie is coming from UT Chancellor Admiral McRaven?

My respect for him continues to go out the window. :mad5

*edit* I can't read the full article so my question is genuine. Is it coming from UT or is someone else spouting this lie?
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

joe817 wrote:
Ruark wrote:This is so silly. They're conjuring up pictures of tens of thousands of peach-fuzz frat boys walking around armed to the teeth. Most college students aren't even old enough to buy a handgun, much less get a CHL to carry one around. Pure media-driven hysteria.
You and I and everyone on the forum knows that, as well as a lot of people in the Texas Legislature. I'd wager the Houston Chronicle knows that. BUT if they printed the FULL story and truth, they would lose their ability to print half-truths to further their agenda, and decrease their ability to sensationalize the news to sell more newspapers. More ubber liberal lies.
:mad5 :grumble

The sad thing is, is that their readers look to them to fully disclose the truth.....which they do not!
The chronicle hasn't a been a real newspaper for several years now. I doubt if they're worried about what both remaining readers think.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”