HB 2445 Introduced. Amends Disorderly Conduct Statute

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

HB 2445 Introduced. Amends Disorderly Conduct Statute

Post by K5GU »

This one caught my attention this week. It would amend the disorderly conduct code (PC 42.01) to strike the following:
"(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;"

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB2445
Life is good.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 2445 Introduced. Amends Disorderly Conduct Statute

Post by G.A. Heath »

Yep, we knew this one was coming. :coolgleamA:
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TresHuevos »

G.A. Heath wrote:Yep, we knew this one was coming. :coolgleamA:
So, does it have a chance?
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

That sounds like something that would be enforced or applied arbitrarily.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

MechAg94 wrote:That sounds like something that would be enforced or applied arbitrarily.
The text he quoted is to be stricken from the current penal code. And it is already abused.
TresHuevos wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Yep, we knew this one was coming. :coolgleamA:
So, does it have a chance?
Charles is the one to ask on that, I personally feel we need to get it passed. Especially if open carry passes.
Last edited by G.A. Heath on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Wouldn't this be necessary if they anticipate open carry in any form passing? Or maybe not necessary, but to help eliminate it being abused even more after the passage of OC.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

It's a good idea, because otherwise it would certainly be abused. This is another route to the protection included in the unlicensed carry bill, HB195, which states that a cop can't detain you for the mere act of carrying a weapon in a peaceful manner. Since HB195 is dead in the water, maybe this will do it. It's probably inevitable that some will raise the objection, "this would allow somebody to go walking around pointing his gun at people."
-Ruark

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

I'm not saying I'm for or against HB 2445, but the words "..in a manner calculated to alarm" is the key in the context of "disorderly conduct", and then If a licensed open carry bill passes, such as SB17 or HB910(as introduced), it will be an offense if the handgun is not in a holster.
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Tip: When you click on the URL link to read the bill, when you see text that has a line through it means that text would be removed from the statute if the bill passed. You probably already know this, but I'm just saying...
Life is good.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

This looks more like a clean up bill fron 2013's legislation.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This bill is necessary 1) in case open-carry passes; and 2) to stop abuse that results from ill-advised long gun demonstrations.

As GA Heath said, this was planned.
Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

K5GU wrote:I'm not saying I'm for or against HB 2445, but the words "..in a manner calculated to alarm" is the key in the context of "disorderly conduct", and then If a licensed open carry bill passes, such as SB17 or HB910(as introduced), it will be an offense if the handgun is not in a holster.

Are you worried about the language you referenced being deleted? :headscratch
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

mojo84 wrote:
K5GU wrote:I'm not saying I'm for or against HB 2445, but the words "..in a manner calculated to alarm" is the key in the context of "disorderly conduct", and then If a licensed open carry bill passes, such as SB17 or HB910(as introduced), it will be an offense if the handgun is not in a holster.

Are you worried about the language you referenced being deleted? :headscratch
Nope. I kinda like the bill. I'm worried that some people might think the amendment would 'allow someone to walk around pointing a gun..'.
And I think Chas. is right. The amendment greases the skids for holstered open carry bills if passed.
Life is good.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”