SB 718 Introduced. Relating to firearm purchase permit.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 17

Re: SB 718 Introduced. Relating to firearm purchase permit.

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
K5GU wrote:Right. I don't think we need registration, which can develop into an expensive and mismanaged administrative nightmare. But I do think the purchase of any firearm or lethal weapon needs at least a criminal background check. I would also like to see more (enhanced) firearm management education for firearm owners to attempt to lower the chance of accidental discharges, but I guess that's for another thread?
Bull! Making things more and more inconvenient for law abiding citizens has never worked and never will. Making me go through a background check will have exactly zero effect on a criminal getting a gun. It won't even slow him down, but he might laugh as more and more money is wasted on such stupid efforts.
Okay. So you don't believe there should be a background check when you purchase and then carry a handgun?
Of course I don't believe that law abiding citizens should have to undergo background checks. Why should I?
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens?
We are innocent until proven guilty. We as law abiding citizens shouldn't have to prove anything in order to exercise our God given right.
Your post came after my last edit/quote. But educate me please. How is it determined by an FFL or anyone else, that we are law abiding if there's not some recorded data somewhere??
Life is good.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
K5GU wrote:Right. I don't think we need registration, which can develop into an expensive and mismanaged administrative nightmare. But I do think the purchase of any firearm or lethal weapon needs at least a criminal background check. I would also like to see more (enhanced) firearm management education for firearm owners to attempt to lower the chance of accidental discharges, but I guess that's for another thread?
Bull! Making things more and more inconvenient for law abiding citizens has never worked and never will. Making me go through a background check will have exactly zero effect on a criminal getting a gun. It won't even slow him down, but he might laugh as more and more money is wasted on such stupid efforts.
Okay. So you don't believe there should be a background check when you purchase and then carry a handgun?
Of course I don't believe that law abiding citizens should have to undergo background checks. Why should I?
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens? This of course is in the context of a legitimate purchase from a federally regulated FFL, which is in place today.
Papers! Let me see your papers, subject!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jmra
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens?
We are innocent until proven guilty. We as law abiding citizens shouldn't have to prove anything in order to exercise our God given right.
Your post came after my last edit/quote. But educate me please. How is it determined by an FFL or anyone else, that we are law abiding if there's not some recorded data somewhere??
We shouldn't have to. That's the point. The requirement shouldn't exist.
Last edited by jmra on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

"rlol"
anygunanywhere wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Maybe I'm dumber than I should be and with all due respect, what other method could there be to determine if we are law-abiding citizens? This of course is in the context of a legitimate purchase from a federally regulated FFL, which is in place today.
Life is good.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

K5GU wrote:"rlol"
anygunanywhere wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
"rlol"
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
"rlol"
Unfortunately it's not a laughing matter.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
K5GU wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
"rlol"
Unfortunately it's not a laughing matter.
Sorry. I thought "anygunanywhere"'s quote was funny. When I was a youngster our town had a guy who walked around downtown holding a sheet of paper which he said was his proof he wasn't crazy. Caused a flashback.
So what do you all think about SB 718?
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:So what do you all think about SB 718?
I think that anyone who supports such a bill either hasn't read the constitution, has read it but doesn't understand it, or has read it and understands it but are intentionally trying to undermine it.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This bill will not pass. Ironically, it was filed because of constituents who want to bypass the NICS checks without getting a CHL. That's the goal of the bill. Unfortunately, it will be used as a vehicle in the future to require everyone to get such a permit to buy a firearm, must like the FOID card is required in Illinois.

Intentions were good, but the bill is a problem.
Chas.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

jmra wrote:
I think that anyone who supports such a bill either hasn't read the constitution, has read it but doesn't understand it, or has read it and understands it but are intentionally trying to undermine it.
I've read it a couple of times and can't find anywhere in the bill that says a permit is required to legally purchase a firearm, so I'm not sure about the intent of Senator Hall. Maybe Charles has some knowledge regarding this and has a post forthcoming related to SB 718.
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This bill will not pass. Ironically, it was filed because of constituents who want to bypass the NICS checks without getting a CHL. That's the goal of the bill. Unfortunately, it will be used as a vehicle in the future to require everyone to get such a permit to buy a firearm, must like the FOID card is required in Illinois.

Chas.
I read it as a requirement for purchasing a firearm. I'm glad that was not the intention.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
jmra wrote:
I've read it a couple of times and can't find anywhere in the bill that says a permit is required to legally purchase a firearm, so I'm not sure about the intent of Senator Hall. Maybe Charles has some knowledge regarding this and has a post forthcoming related to SB 718.
Ya'll must have posted at the same time. See Mr. Cotton's post above.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This bill will not pass. Ironically, it was filed because of constituents who want to bypass the NICS checks without getting a CHL. That's the goal of the bill. Unfortunately, it will be used as a vehicle in the future to require everyone to get such a permit to buy a firearm, must like the FOID card is required in Illinois.

Chas.
When I read it I get the feeling that if passed as introduced, will be a redundant duplicate of some of the requirements for a CHL. Committee discussion will be interesting. I don't think CHL requirements will be going away any time soon.
Life is good.

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hillfighter »

Pawpaw wrote:From the founding of this country until 198-something, there were no restrictions AT ALL to buying a weapon. Background checks have done nothing to enhance security or safety in all the decades they have been law.
Your estimate is off by 50 years if we're talking about military-style weapons and 20 years for hunting weapons. However, you're 100% correct that requiring a background check to purchase a firearm does nothing to enhance security or reduce crime, same as requiring a license to carry a handgun.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr1337 »

K5GU wrote: The State Affairs meeting and discussion on this one should be 'entertaining' at least. I'm not sure what the intent of a new 'firearms purchaser's permit' for a handgun is other than maybe in the unlikely case an unlicensed carry bill gets enacted the permit would act similar to showing the FFL your CHL license, which currently speeds up the purchase process.
If unlicensed carry passes, the CHL process will still exist for a few reasons. These include the protection of license holders carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of a school and reciprocity with other states.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”