HB2625 CHL renewal fee waiver for instructors.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 3

HB2625 CHL renewal fee waiver for instructors.

Post by K5GU »

Life is good.

Wolverine
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB2625 CHL renewal fee waiver for instructors.

Post by Wolverine »

Granted that the $140 fee makes Texas one of the highest shall issue licenses in the country, but do we really need more special-case discounts for small numbers of people? I'm also concerned time spent on these kind of bills take away from campus carry and other reforms that would make a real difference to a lot more people.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Wolverine wrote:Granted that the $140 fee makes Texas one of the highest shall issue licenses in the country, but do we really need more special-case discounts for small numbers of people? I'm also concerned time spent on these kind of bills take away from campus carry and other reforms that would make a real difference to a lot more people.

:iagree: I think a price reduction for everyone would be better served.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I didn't know this bill was coming, but I do think it is reasonable. No, not because I'm an instructor, but because we have to renew every two years and pay a $100 fee. That's $250 (avg.) over 5 years and we have a background check done 2 to 3 times over the 5 year duration of a CHL, depending upon when our CHL comes due.

Chas.

louisf1

Post by louisf1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I didn't know this bill was coming, but I do think it is reasonable. No, not because I'm an instructor, but because we have to renew every two years and pay a $100 fee. That's $250 (avg.) over 5 years and we have a background check done 2 to 3 times over the 5 year duration of a CHL, depending upon when our CHL comes due.

Chas.
I agree, paying to be an instructor and paying for the normal CHL seems like double jeopardy. You have to be licensed in order to be an instructor so that charge should be included in the instructor certification fee.

apostate

Post by apostate »

louisf1 wrote: I agree, paying to be an instructor and paying for the normal CHL seems like double jeopardy.

I think you may be confused about the meaning of double jeopardy. http://www.heritage.org/constitution/am ... f-property" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

louisf1 wrote: You have to be licensed in order to be an instructor

Since when? I ask in all sincerity because that wasn't a requirement when I became an instructor.

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

apostate wrote:
louisf1 wrote: I agree, paying to be an instructor and paying for the normal CHL seems like double jeopardy.

I think you may be confused about the meaning of double jeopardy. http://www.heritage.org/constitution/am ... f-property" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

louisf1 wrote: You have to be licensed in order to be an instructor

Since when? I ask in all sincerity because that wasn't a requirement when I became an instructor.
I see in HB2909 (Sept. 1997, 75th legislative session) where it says the DPS shall issue a license to carry a concealed handgun..to any person who is certified as a qualified handgun instructor...I think it's in Section 12 where it amends sections 18(c) and (f) of Article 4413(29ee), Revised Statutes.
Life is good.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

This is like saying that we should waive all permitting fees to Electricians because they are Electricians.

0If there was still a course required for renewal I can see waiving the requirements, since clearly they should no the material. Other than than that I disagree with the bill and thinks it creates a special "elite class."
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
K5GU

Post by K5GU »

I'm guessing the DPS would absorb the CHL renewal cost for instructors since the law says they 'shall issue' (means they must issue) it as part of the instructor certification process.
Life is good.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If one pays for a higher level license, why should they have to pay for the lower level license also?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

steveincowtown wrote:This is like saying that we should waive all permitting fees to Electricians because they are Electricians.

0If there was still a course required for renewal I can see waiving the requirements, since clearly they should no the material. Other than than that I disagree with the bill and thinks it creates a special "elite class."
I don't think you understand. All this would do is allow the instructor renewal to renew our CHL. Instructor renewal cost us $100 every two years, and we have to go through a class every other renewal, so we pay an average of $250 over the 5 years AND take a class vs the $70 for your standard CHL renewal with no class required.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Keith B wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:This is like saying that we should waive all permitting fees to Electricians because they are Electricians.

I don't think you understand. All this would do is allow the instructor renewal to renew our CHL. Instructor renewal cost us $100 every two years, and we have to go through a class every other renewal, so we pay an average of $250 over the 5 years AND take a class vs the $70 for your standard CHL renewal with no class required.

You are correct, I did not understand completely. :tiphat:
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

tlt

Post by tlt »

Just playing devils advocate here. Don't most CHL Instructors charge for their services? So why would they be entitled to a discount on a profit making venture?

It does seem like Texas has a fair list of ways to get your CHL at a discount, hardship, veteran, etc. but that's for your personal use, not for profit.
Last edited by tlt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

tlt wrote:Just playing devils advocate here. Don't most CHL Instructors charge for their services?
What's the devil's point?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

tlt wrote:Just playing devils advocate here. Don't most CHL Instructors charge for their services? So why would they be entitled to a discount on a profit making venture?

It does seem like Texas has a fair list of ways to get your CHL at a discount, hardship, veteran, etc. but that's for your personal use, not for profit.
Not getting a discount on the instructor certification. Like I stated, we pay $250 over the 5 years ($100 every two years) for just the instructor certification, as well as another $70 for renewing our CHL. Just having an instructor certification does not automatically give you a CHL. You can actually have an instructors certificate and no CHL (think LEO instructor).

All this does is say if I have an active instructor certification, then I can renew my CHL for no EXTRA charge.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”