HB2625 CHL renewal fee waiver for instructors.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tlt
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB2625 CHL renewal fee waiver for instructors.

Post by tlt »

I guess if it makes sense for you. Do you generate any revenue with that instructor license? Does having this license prevent you from taking advantage of the current discounts available to other CHL holders?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

tlt wrote:I guess if it makes sense for you. Do you generate any revenue with that instructor license? Does having this license prevent you from taking advantage of the current discounts available to other CHL holders?
Yes, most instructors charge a fee for their time for the class. But just having the certificate does not mean you make money. And yes, there are discounts available on the regular CHL that if you qualify for them you get. However, I don't qualify for any discount.

Bottom line, if you can teach the CHL course, why wouldn't your certification be good for your renewal? It will still cost a CHL instructor at least $180 more over a 5 year period than what the regular CHL holder will have to pay for their license to be renewed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

steveincowtown wrote:This is like saying that we should waive all permitting fees to Electricians because they are Electricians.

0If there was still a course required for renewal I can see waiving the requirements, since clearly they should no the material. Other than than that I disagree with the bill and thinks it creates a special "elite class."
This is as good a starting point as any.

Why shouldn't we waive all permitting fees to Electricians (or CHL Instructors) because they are Electricians (or CHL Instructors)? The argument seems to be "the state screws electricians out of some bucks so let's do the same to CHL instructors."

So the real question is: "Why should CHL Instructors (or CHL'ers in general) pay a fee at all?"

In fact, I think imposing fees on CHL holders and CHL Instructors is far more double-plus ungood than it is for electricians or beauticians or what-have-you, because it is imposing a fee, a burden, on the enumerated right to bear arms. "Constitutional/unlicensed Carry" has been soundly torpedoed for the foreseeable future, so we will be dealing with a licensing scheme for some years. We should remove as many burdens, requirements, state-controlled choke points, and other obstacles as we can within that scheme until we can ditch it altogether.

Lowering the fees for instructors in no way creates an "elite" class, it is not at all like giving DAs or judges special powers to carry that Joe Citizen can't get. Instructors are required by the law, a fee is required by the law, and all the instructors pay it. As long as we have to have CHLs, we should do all we can to reduce the burden on instructors, so there will be more of them to benefit those Texans who want a CHL.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tlt wrote:I guess if it makes sense for you. Do you generate any revenue with that instructor license? Does having this license prevent you from taking advantage of the current discounts available to other CHL holders?
There would be some merit to your argument if DPS had to do additional work to issue a CHL to a CHL Instructor. However, that's not the case. As noted more than once, we pay $250 over 5 years and have 2 to 3 background checks performed, so all DPS has to do is manufacture the plastic CHL and mail it. I have thought about drafting a bill that would require the issuance of a new 5 year CHL to every instructor when we renew every two years.

HB2625 doesn't grant any special status to instructors, it simply stops charging us for something that we've already paid for 2 1/2 times.

Chas.

tlt

Post by tlt »

It makes more sense explained that way.

cw3van
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cw3van »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
There would be some merit to your argument if DPS had to do additional work to issue a CHL to a CHL Instructor. However, that's not the case. As noted more than once, we pay $250 over 5 years and have 2 to 3 background checks performed, so all DPS has to do is manufacture the plastic CHL and mail it. I have thought about drafting a bill that would require the issuance of a new 5 year CHL to every instructor when we renew every two years.

HB2625 doesn't grant any special status to instructors, it simply stops charging us for something that we've already paid for 2 1/2 times.

Chas.
:iagree: Well said sir.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”