HB308

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cowhow
Posts in topic: 10

Re: HB308

Post by cowhow »

Didn't the original bill reduce 30.06 to a Class C?

CJD
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CJD »

cowhow wrote:Didn't the original bill reduce 30.06 to a Class C?
No that's 910

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

Yeah, that's right. To many numbers for this cob web brain of mine! :confused5

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 21

Post by RoyGBiv »

CJD wrote:
No that's 910
Actually, HB308 original version makes 46.035 violation a class C as well.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84 ... 00308I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See section 4
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

CJD
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CJD »

RoyGBiv wrote:
CJD wrote:
No that's 910

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84 ... 00308I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See section 4
Yes but he asked about 30.06!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

CJD wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
CJD wrote:
No that's 910

See section 4
Yes but he asked about 30.06!
I see... yes.. private property 30.06 violation would remain class A under HB 308 as originally proposed.

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

I'm anxious to hear Charles' assessment as you know there's bound to be committee substitutions and compromises. But its good to see movement because I was afraid it was going to die in committee. Give a little...get a little.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Correct. The committee substitute will be significantly different, but again, I can't comment until I'm sure the substitute is what I was given. If so, then we will not be exempt from §46.03.

Chas.
As in, licensed carry within governmental buildings (in this case institutions of higher education) would still be prohibited?

I'm still watching for updates to the status of HB308 and new text...
I might be reading your question wrong, but you do know that governmental buildings are not off limits unless certain circumstances are met, right? And although schools are governmental buildings, they are mentioned specifically as being off limits. You probably know this, but I just wanted to make sure. Other states prohibit concealed carriers from carrying in government buildings.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yes, I know that certain government buildings are allowed and others are prohibited for carry. I'm lookin for where 308 would/wouldn't allow carry on campuses. It was a busy day at work and I didn't get to read all of the text of the bill, so I am more than likely simply confused at this point. Sounds like SB11 was referred to committee today so it may end up being a moot point. I'm going to try and sit down and read through the introduced text start to end this evening.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Yes, I know that certain government buildings are allowed and others are prohibited for carry. I'm lookin for where 308 would/wouldn't allow carry on campuses. It was a busy day at work and I didn't get to read all of the text of the bill, so I am more than likely simply confused at this point. Sounds like SB11 was referred to committee today so it may end up being a moot point. I'm going to try and sit down and read through the introduced text start to end this evening.
Cool.

From earlier posts, the current text with the committee substitute may not be available yet.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

C-dub wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:Yes, I know that certain government buildings are allowed and others are prohibited for carry. I'm lookin for where 308 would/wouldn't allow carry on campuses. It was a busy day at work and I didn't get to read all of the text of the bill, so I am more than likely simply confused at this point. Sounds like SB11 was referred to committee today so it may end up being a moot point. I'm going to try and sit down and read through the introduced text start to end this evening.
Cool.

From earlier posts, the current text with the committee substitute may not be available yet.
Still not available as of this post. Image

:mrgreen:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Still no new text posted online...
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have any news on what's changed in the committee substitute? :bigear:

tornado
Posts in topic: 8

Post by tornado »

I haven't read it, but the new text is up. http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: I've read it. Highlights:
  • Class C unless oral warning and didn't leave, then Class A
  • Clarifies being around a field trip (but allow carry in schools unless the school allows it in written regulations or written authorization)
  • removes the hospital, amusement park, religious center, and judge/DA sections that were already defense to prosecution
  • adds resident retired federal judges
This is not the HB308 I knew and loved. I like the class reduction, but making it all go away would have been so much better.
Last edited by tornado on Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

From what I can figure out on first reading of the committee substitute, we get a reduction of violating a 30.06 sign from Class A misdemeanor to Class C, and.... I really can't see anything else of significance.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

joelamosobadiah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joelamosobadiah »

From what I see it clears up a lot of uncertainty around schools, particularly field trips, it clears up the confusion having hospitals, churches, and amusement parks listed even though they have to post 30.06 anyway, and reduces the penalty.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”