HB 910 & 937 Scheduled for Hearing

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Srnewby
Posts in topic: 2

HB 910 & 937 Scheduled for Hearing

Post by Srnewby »

According to the Texas Legislature Online site, HB 910 (companion to SB 17) and HB 937 (companion to SB 11) are scheduled for a hearing before the House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee next Tuesday, March 17. It's good to see some movement on these bills in the House.

mojo84

Re: HB 910 & 937 Scheduled for Hearing

Post by mojo84 »

Thanks for the heads up. I am anxious to see how this goes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

mojo84 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I am anxious to see how this goes.
Same here. Yes, tnx Srnewby. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Great to hear that it's moving quickly through both chambers!
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

This one should be interesting. If the same witnesses from the Senate hearing are asked to testify, it would be interesting to compare their statements.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

HB937 passed out of committee this am on a party line vote. :hurry:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

joe817

Post by joe817 »

RHenriksen wrote:HB937 passed out of committee this am on a party line vote. :hurry:
Excellent news! Tnx! :thumbs2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by v7a »

I wonder what changed? Last week the Committee Chair said they were going to wait to get SB11 assigned and vote that out of committee instead of the House Bill.

CJD

Post by CJD »

v7a wrote:I wonder what changed? Last week the Committee Chair said they were going to wait to get SB11 assigned and vote that out of committee instead of the House Bill.
Word on the street is they want to get the House versions through Calendars while waiting on the Senate versions to get assigned to Homeland Security Committee, and substitute the Senate versions on the House floor. This way saves time.

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

CJD wrote:Word on the street is they want to get the House versions through Calendars while waiting on the Senate versions to get assigned to Homeland Security Committee, and substitute the Senate versions on the House floor. This way saves time.
Yes, but that doesn't explain why they took that route last week for only SB17 and not SB11 and then this week they changed their mind. Last week they apparently had a reason to wait specifically for SB11 (but not SB17) that is no longer valid this week.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

"The lower chamber's Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee voted 6-3 along party lines on Tuesday to send House Bill 937 by state Rep. Allen Fletcher, R-Cypress, to the full House. "

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/31/ ... use-floor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

With respect to campus carry, the Texas Tribune has run this bit of news a couple times:
Meanwhile, Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp has said he isn't concerned about allowing guns on campus because he trusts teachers and students "to work and live responsibly under the same laws at the university as they do at home."
I have hope that campus carry will pass this legislature, but if not, it would be an interesting development indeed if Texas A&M would go ahead and choose, as the current law allows, to permit CHL carry on A&M premises throughout the system, so that teachers and students could in fact work and live under the same laws on campus as they do off.
USAF 1982-2005

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

ELB wrote:With respect to campus carry, the Texas Tribune has run this bit of news a couple times:
Meanwhile, Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp has said he isn't concerned about allowing guns on campus because he trusts teachers and students "to work and live responsibly under the same laws at the university as they do at home."
I have hope that campus carry will pass this legislature, but if not, it would be an interesting development indeed if Texas A&M would go ahead and choose, as the current law allows, to permit CHL carry on A&M premises throughout the system, so that teachers and students could in fact work and live under the same laws on campus as they do off.
I'm thinking if it doesn't pass they won't allow it. It's different when the government allows it than when the school allows it. I think maybe the liability would be different. Not sure actually. It sounded good when I typed it. :lol: I guess I'll call it my common sense intuition.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

The Wall wrote:
ELB wrote:With respect to campus carry, the Texas Tribune has run this bit of news a couple times:
I'm thinking if it doesn't pass they won't allow it. It's different when the government allows it than when the school allows it. I think maybe the liability would be different. Not sure actually. It sounded good when I typed it. :lol: I guess I'll call it my common sense intuition.
There's no liability issue for the school. Since day one, schools have had the option to allow chl carry in the buildings. To this date, not one university has done so. And none are likely to allow it unless forced to do so.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Gun control group to air anti-campus carry ads in Texas
AUSTIN - Two gun control advocacy groups will air ads in multiple cities across the state, including Houston and San Antonio, urging Texans to tell their lawmakers to oppose campus carry legislation.

Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund and the Texas chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America on Wednesday will release the ad entitled "Texas is Better than This." The buy will total around $80,000 and will include TV and digital ads on Facebook and Twitter in Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.
Btw, if you see these ads on Facebook or Twitter, make sure to click on them as it will cost them money.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”