HB 3496

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jasday
Posts in topic: 1

HB 3496

Post by jasday »

Been a long time lurker around here, just found something that really caught my interest. What are your thoughts on this bill that was introduced into the house? I know that one was introduced last session that allowed for concealed carry by first responders in rural counties. I'm not sure if it passed or not as it didn't apply to me and I lost track of it. The county I work for far bypassed the population requirement. It required that the county population be under ???? With a certain number of law enforcement officers in the county. This will allow any first responder, with a CHL in the state to conceal carry. As a paramedic, I know that there are strong opinions for and against this, what is the general persons thoughts and opinions?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB3496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jasday

howdy

Re: HB 3496

Post by howdy »

I know as a 911 Paramedic I am all for this bill that will allow carry for first responders. We have people in our department (Chief) that think this is a terrible idea and would work hard to not allow it in our department. He is a paper pusher that has not run a call in years. As the OP knows, it can get real scary out there on the street. Ask a Police Officer if he/she would go out there un-armed and they would say "no". I know they do some scarier stuff than we do, but ours gets scary too.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

This bill was only filed last Thursday, 3/12/2015. It has not been assigned to a committee yet. It's in its infancy stages. Give it some time.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

My partner was violently attacked by a prisoner trying to escape during a transfer from the jail to the hospital last week. My best friend earned the department's highest valor award last year for wining in a hand to hand struggle over a .357 revolver a husband of a patient pulled on 7 responders in a bedroom attempting to revive his wife in cardiac arrest. I have had guns pulled on me, been in riots, assaulted, had a crack whore try to obtain my narcotics with a scapel, you name it it happens frequently. We have had pregnant medics intentionally kicked in the belly, a guy even tried to strangle me in an alley way 4 years ago. We are often onscene of donestic violence and assault calls even murders before the cops no matter how hard we try to avoid it simply due to the nature of the bussiness.

We get assaulted every day and mostly we win or get lucky. We are at much higher risk than the public and often the cops. What can we do about it? Nothing. Departments universally almost prohibit any tool for self defense except a ballitic vest (issued) much less a lethal weapon. I'm not sure who lobbied for this but I for one would be eternally grateful if the TSRA would support this bill and our first responders who do not get the choice of where they go and what they have to do.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

There is a bill that's been filed, HB353 that addresses this issue:

"HB353 (King, Ken) Relating to the application of certain weapons laws to certain volunteer emergency services personnel licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
Impact: Makes TPC §30.06 inapplicable to volunteer emergency service providers answering calls and it removes all off-limits areas for such persons.
Position on Bill: Oppose.
Status: Referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee 2/12/15; public hearing 3/10/15.
Analysis & Comment: This Bill does two things; it makes TPC §30.06 inapplicable to volunteer emergency service personnel answering calls; and it removes off-limits locations found in TPC §46.035(b)&(c). These apply only to counties with population under 50,000. Rendering TPC §30.06 inapplicable to emergency service personnel answering calls is a very good provision and it should be applicable regardless of a county's population. However, there should not be any preferential treatment of any subset of CHLs; it is time to remove all off-limits locations for all CHLs. If Section 3 of the Bill exempting emergency personnel from TPC §46.035(b)&(c) is removed, then this Bill should be supported."
( https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

It's still pending in committee, as of 03/10/2015. I hope this new bill corrects that.

I totally agree with the above posters. They go in harm's way every day to render aid to the injured. It's time to let them defend themselves, when defense is needed.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”