HB 910 (OC) Committee debate - Now

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 15

Re: HB 910 (OC) Committee debate - Now

Post by mojo84 »

joe817 wrote:TAM, is that the mayor of Kermit? :biggrinjester:

Or Odessa? :mrgreen:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
There are two independent questions/issues: 1) is the gun concealed; and if not 2) is the gun in a shoulder or belt holster? The answer to the concealed question will be no different after passage of open-carry than it has been since 1995. (See below.) The shoulder holster question is easy to answer, as is the belt holster question. If it is attached to or secured by the belt in any manner, then it's a belt holster. This means OWB belt holster, IWB holsters (regardless of placement, i.e. appendix, 3 o'clock, etc.) and even drop-leg holsters (God forbid!!) that are attached to a belt. Whether a gun is concealed is not determined by the type of holster used.
So....I could actually use an ankle holster as long as there was a dangle-thingy that attached to my belt, right?.... :headscratch
If that's what you think constitutes a "belt holster," then give it a try and find out.

Chas.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

TexasCajun wrote:
Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
There are two independent questions/issues: 1) is the gun concealed; and if not 2) is the gun in a shoulder or belt holster? The answer to the concealed question will be no different after passage of open-carry than it has been since 1995. (See below.) The shoulder holster question is easy to answer, as is the belt holster question. If it is attached to or secured by the belt in any manner, then it's a belt holster. This means OWB belt holster, IWB holsters (regardless of placement, i.e. appendix, 3 o'clock, etc.) and even drop-leg holsters (God forbid!!) that are attached to a belt. Whether a gun is concealed is not determined by the type of holster used.
So....I could actually use an ankle holster as long as there was a dangle-thingy that attached to my belt, right?.... :headscratch
Why in the world would anyone want to open carry with an ankle holster?
just think of the bling I could use to match my dress :coolgleamA:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jason K wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:
Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Why in the world would anyone want to open carry with an ankle holster?
It's the principle of the thing.....illustrating absurdity through the absurd.
The only absurdity are the ridiculous "examples" that are being thrown out.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

joe817 wrote:Anybody besides me think that this thread has turned into a circular discussion, not to dissimilar to a circular firing squad? :cool: :mrgreen:
Yep! It's starting to remind me of the nursery at church with all of the whining going on. (BTW, I'm not making a joke.)

Chas.

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Jason K »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
If that's what you think constitutes a "belt holster," then give it a try and find out.

Chas.
I'm more concerned with what the Legislature thinks constitutes a "belt holster". With the way things are currently written, it will depend on each LEO that you encounter to make up their own definition....kinda like the "reasonable speed" signs in Montana a few years back.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 56b77.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Jason K »

Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jason K wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I'm more concerned with what the Legislature thinks constitutes a "belt holster". With the way things are currently written, it will depend on each LEO that you encounter to make up their own definition....kinda like the "reasonable speed" signs in Montana a few years back.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 56b77.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you really want every LEO to have their own opinion on what a "reasonable" belt or shoulder holster is?...

The Wall
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Wall »

Nice ankle belt holster TAM!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Anyone who truly cannot accept the fact that a holster that hangs on a belt and an IWB holster that is secured to the belt would fall within the proposed open-carry statute should stick to concealed-carry so you don't have to fret quite so much. This is beyond absurd! :banghead: It makes me question, once again, why we spent so much political capital pushing for open-carry when so many more important bills are not getting the necessary attention to pass.

I didn't want "holster" mentioned either and I suggested that the language be something like "holster or other device to securely hold the handgun" but it didn't fly. The fact that I didn't get what I wanted hasn't led me to argue that we are going to be overrun by Unicorns as a result. I can't recall another gun-related issue that has prompted such extreme and exaggerated claims by pro-gun people.

I can hear it now. We (NRA and TSRA) get open-carry passed in spite of horrendous damage caused by open-carry zealots, only to be faced with complaints that "I have to put that thing in a holster!!!!" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Chas.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScooterSissy »

But... unicorns are FUN.

SawdustBytes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SawdustBytes »

I do not wish to get "off topic", but at the risk of doing so -- What is the current state of HB 910?

Rrash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rrash »

Can we just pull the holster talk into oncoming traffic, leave it there, and move on yet?

joe817
Posts in topic: 14

Post by joe817 »

Rrash wrote:Can we just pull the holster talk into oncoming traffic, leave it there, and move on yet?
:iagree: There's a dedicated sub-forum dedicated to holsters in the Day-To-Day section of the forum. I believe ALL discussions related to holsters should be done there; eliminate the baiting questions, and discuss only items relevant to legislative actions being discussed in this section of the forum.

And I am unanimous in my decision. :rules: (even to the point of asking the Mods to lock this thread if these silly debates continue)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

SawdustBytes wrote:I do not wish to get "off topic", but at the risk of doing so -- What is the current state of HB 910?
:smilelol5:

For those that would like to continue Unicorn/holster discussion...

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=76734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

mr1337
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mr1337 »

SawdustBytes wrote:I do not wish to get "off topic", but at the risk of doing so -- What is the current state of HB 910?
Wouldn't that technically be getting on topic?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was voted out of committee on 3/26.

Action just posted today says: "Comte report filed with Committee Coordinator"

I have no idea what that means.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”