SB11 brief update

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

SB11 brief update

Post by J.R.@A&M »

“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 8

Re: SB11 brief update

Post by mr1337 »

Thanks for the update, I was wondering why it wasn't brought up for debate yesterday.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Talking about it now.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 9

Post by AJSully421 »

joe817 wrote:Talking about it now.

Here we go...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Does this current discussion on a 30.06 that is campus wide take away the parking lot gains we got last time?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

jerry_r60 wrote:Does this current discussion on a 30.06 that is campus wide take away the parking lot gains we got last time?
Based on what they are discussing about Huffmans amendment, it may take away parking lots on private college grounds, not just premises. Let's wait for her amendment.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Who is it, Senator Watson, trying to derail the floor debate by putting up 3 objections regarding wording to the bill. This is not as smooth sailing as I thought it would be.
Last edited by joe817 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TVGuy »

AJSully421 wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote:Does this current discussion on a 30.06 that is campus wide take away the parking lot gains we got last time?
Based on what they are discussing about Huffmans amendment, it may take away parking lots on private college grounds, not just premises. Let's wait for her amendment.
It would only prevent open carry in such places, not CC.
(a-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally or knowingly displays the handgun in plain view of another person:

(1) on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education; or

(2) on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by v7a »

I don't understand how there could be a loophole (as Senator Watson claims) with regards to non-enforcement of people who violate 30.06 on private campuses. Wouldn't that be covered by the existing 30.06 language that's already in existing law?

I was expecting Birdwell to shut him down on that but it seemed like he acknowledged that there may (or may not) be a need to amend some language.

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 3

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I really, really appreciate Sen. Birdwell's articulate and reasonable way of defending this bill.

*Edited: especially in response to Sen. Ellis.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Nice answer to what campus leaders think about this bill. "We will not delegate this authority."

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Ellis, who is now debating with Birdwell, made an interesting statement about 5 min. ago: "I know you have the votes for this bill's passage, but I think we need to debate this issue anyway." -----or words to that effect. Interesting.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

BeanCounter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BeanCounter »

The loophole seemed to be that a person commits an offense if you bring a laundry list of weapons on campus unless you have a CHL.
I think the question is does this new wording exempt a CHL holder from all the other listed prohibited items??
Hard to follow politicians thinking..
TSRA Life Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

TVGuy wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
It would only prevent open carry in such places, not CC.
(a-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally or knowingly displays the handgun in plain view of another person:

(1) on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education; or

(2) on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education.
With the amendment to SB17 oon the 16th, I think that you are right. But he did specifically say that his intent is to exclude the campus of private universities. I hope he mis-spoke.

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CJD »

BeanCounter wrote:The loophole seemed to be that a person commits an offense if you bring a laundry list of weapons on campus unless you have a CHL.
I think the question is does this new wording exempt a CHL holder from all the other listed prohibited items??
Hard to follow politicians thinking..
I don't believe so:
"(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed
handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H,
Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this
section applies
, on the premises of an institution of higher
education or private or independent institution of higher
education, on any grounds or building on which an activity
sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger
transportation vehicle of the institution;

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”