HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 58

HB910 on House Calendar for 3rd Reading

Post by K5GU »

HB910 is on the 04-20-2015 House calendar for 3rd Reading and final passage to the Senate.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 150420.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by K5GU on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life is good.

Busykngt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB910 On Apr. 14 House Calendar for 2nd Reading

Post by Busykngt »

Excellent(!)... progress is being made!

Kolamer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kolamer »

It's nice to see some progress on one of the bills! So question.. Since HB910 was reported favorably as substituted and is now on the house floor for second reading, does that mean that HB910 will be dropped and SB17 will be entered in it's place since SB17 has already cleared the Senate? I don't really understand the substitution process.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Good (I guess) but I really hope the focus is on campus carry which would potentially impact many more CHL holders.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 35

Post by TVGuy »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:Good (I guess) but I really hope the focus is on campus carry which would potentially impact many more CHL holders.
How does campus carry impact more CHL holders? SB 17 impacts all CHL holders and 11 impacts teachers and students.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

TVGuy wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:Good (I guess) but I really hope the focus is on campus carry which would potentially impact many more CHL holders.
How does campus carry impact more CHL holders? SB 17 impacts all CHL holders and 11 impacts teachers and students.
11 impacts far more people who would use it.

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MadMonkey »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Cite?
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

thechl
Posts in topic: 8

Post by thechl »

And speaking of guessing, my guess is that teachers will be prohibited from carrying into the classroom as a condition of employment. I see nothing in the bill that stops a university from having a policy that states employees may not carry a handgun to work. Indeed, I live under such an employment policy now, even though I'm perfectly legal carring into my building as a customer.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

MadMonkey wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Cite?
Cite what? This will will allow legally licensed CHLers to carry in buildings on campus, thus potentially preventing a mass murder on campus as has occurred in the past.

The OC provision is relevant to far less people because very few people will use OC.

The OC bill is fine but more capital should be focused on a bill more people will use.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Cite?
Cite what? This will will allow legally licensed CHLers to carry in buildings on campus, thus potentially preventing a mass murder on campus as has occurred in the past.

The OC provision is relevant to far less people because very few people will use OC.

The OC bill is fine but more capital should be focused on a bill more people will use.
How do you figure? Got any numbers or data to back up your assumptions?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mojo84 wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Cite?

Assumptions that there will be more students et al legally carrying vs. OCers?
I know at my old alma mater there definitely will be many more. At the time I went I'd put maybe a third of the night students were armed, regardless of the law. I know my boy wants to as soon as he's of sufficient age and thats one more than any people In know would OC pistol carry.

Inversely, you have any numbers?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 75

Post by mojo84 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
MadMonkey wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
Cite?

Assumptions that there will be more students et al legally carrying vs. OCers?
I know at my old alma mater there definitely will be many more. At the time I went I'd put maybe a third of the night students were armed, regardless of the law. I know my boy wants to as soon as he's of sufficient age and thats one more than any people In know would OC pistol carry.

Inversely, you have any numbers?
Nope! I don't know how many will take advantage of either. I do know that OC will be available to all 800,000+ CHLs where ever it's legal if they so choose to open carry. I'm pretty confident not all 800,000+ CHLs spend time on college campuses.

You seem to think I am disputing you. I just asked a question. ;-)
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pawpaw »

I won't be OCing any time soon.

What I will do is CC when I go to the dentist at Baylor College of Dentistry. Don't let the name fool you... It's run by Texas A&M. :mrgreen:

http://bcd.tamhsc.edu/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bladed
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Bladed »

thechl wrote:And speaking of guessing, my guess is that teachers will be prohibited from carrying into the classroom as a condition of employment. I see nothing in the bill that stops a university from having a policy that states employees may not carry a handgun to work. Indeed, I live under such an employment policy now, even though I'm perfectly legal carring into my building as a customer.
Why do you think this provision is included in the bill?
[A]n institution of higher education...in this state may not adopt any rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution.
The fact that universities wouldn't be able to prohibit faculty, staff, or students from carrying is the very reason the legislation is so controversial.

Srnewby
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Srnewby »

Kolamer wrote:It's nice to see some progress on one of the bills! So question.. Since HB910 was reported favorably as substituted and is now on the house floor for second reading, does that mean that HB910 will be dropped and SB17 will be entered in it's place since SB17 has already cleared the Senate? I don't really understand the substitution process.
SB17 cannot be substituted for HB910 unless it (SB17) has received a first reading in the House and been approved by the House committee it is assigned to (most likely the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee). All of that has to occur before HB910 is called up for second reading on Tuesday. Unless something changed today, SB17 has not gotten a first reading in the House as of today so my opinion is that HB910 will probably be the bill voted on on Tuesday. If HB910 passes, it goes to the Senate where it has to go through the same steps there (i.e., first reading and assignment to Senate Committee (I'm guessing Senate State Affairs Committee since that is the committee that SB17 went through), hearing by the Senate committee and favorable report by said committee, placement on the Senate Intent Calendar, floor debate and approval by the entire Senate. Only then can OC go to the Governor for signature. I am fairly optimistic that HB910 will get through the Senate process in a timely manner given that Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is an OC supporter (assuming that HB910 passes the House next week).

It will be an interesting several weeks!

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”