SCR 1

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 3

SCR 1

Post by joe817 »

This has been placed on the Senate Intent Calendar for 04/13/2015. Phew. It's a powerful statement to the federal government, and worth a read. Makes me proud to be a Texan. :txflag:

"Claiming sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the U.S. Constitution, serving notice to the federal government to halt and reverse certain mandates, and providing that certain federal legislation be prohibited or repealed."

Analysis of the bill:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00001I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SCR 1

Post by TresHuevos »

Amen! :txflag: :patriot:
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm not a native, but I got here as soon as I could. Makes me proud to be a Texan.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm not a native, but I got here as soon as I could. Makes me proud to be a Texan.
:iagree:

LeftHandGun

Post by LeftHandGun »

Nice sentiment.

The problem is, of course, the Feds control a lot of things via the power of the purse.

After confiscating our money via various federal taxes and fees, they can simply elect to withhold re-distribution of said funds back to the states if they don't comply with the mandates.

So, the states have been bought lock, stock, and barrel - effectively gutting any 10th amendment assertions they might want to make.

We'll see how this sentiment holds up when the Feds threaten to put the squeeze on the redistributions.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

LeftHandGun wrote:Nice sentiment. The problem is, of course, the Feds control a lot of things via the power of the purse.

After confiscating our money via various federal taxes and fees, they can simply elect to withhold re-distribution of said funds back to the states if they don't comply with the mandates. So, the states have been bought lock, stock, and barrel - effectively gutting any 10th amendment assertions they might want to make.

We'll see how this sentiment holds up when the Feds threaten to put the squeeze on the redistributions.
That's a wild assertion you make, my friend. I do not wish to insult you, but I perceive you as someone who doesn't live here, or has not been here very long, if you do live here.

You are apparently not aware of the significant independence we Texans wield. Our natural resource wealth, which is considerable. What state produces more raw petroleum(read that to be gasoline, etc), natural gas(read that to mean heating houses, building and industry OUTSIDE Texas)? How many electrical power grids are there in the United States? Answer: 3.

The eastern interconnection, the western interconnection, and the Texas interconnection. Yes, Texas has its own power grid. Why? Because Texas has the natural resources to produce its own electrical power without the help of any other state or entity, and doesn't need it. The ONLY state in the Union that can make that claim.

Our efforts to secure our southern border, despite the inactions of the federal government, as stated in the Constitution to do so, we Texans take it upon ourselves to do just that. Did you know that there are at least 5 bills under consideration in this current Legislature to correct those inactions of the federal government? And WE will if the federal government does not.

Those are but a few examples of why I support this bill, and pray to our Lord that it passes and the word sent to the Congress of the United States, that, under this administration, and the attempts of that administration to subrogate the powers of the United States Constitution, to its own perverted ends, will not be tolerated.

Yes, I am anxious to see what happens when "the Feds threaten to put the squeeze on the redistributions" as you put it.

God Bless Texas! :txflag:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

joe817 wrote:
LeftHandGun wrote:Nice sentiment. The problem is, of course, the Feds control a lot of things via the power of the purse.

After confiscating our money via various federal taxes and fees, they can simply elect to withhold re-distribution of said funds back to the states if they don't comply with the mandates. So, the states have been bought lock, stock, and barrel - effectively gutting any 10th amendment assertions they might want to make.

That's a wild assertion you make, my friend. I do not wish to insult you, but I perceive you as someone who doesn't live here, or has not been here very long, if you do live here.

You are apparently not aware of the significant independence we Texans wield. Our natural resource wealth, which is considerable. What state produces more raw petroleum(read that to be gasoline, etc), natural gas(read that to mean heating houses, building and industry OUTSIDE Texas)? How many electrical power grids are there in the United States? Answer: 3.

The eastern interconnection, the western interconnection, and the Texas interconnection. Yes, Texas has its own power grid. Why? Because Texas has the natural resources to produce its own electrical power without the help of any other state or entity, and doesn't need it. The ONLY state in the Union that can make that claim.

Our efforts to secure our southern border, despite the inactions of the federal government, as stated in the Constitution to do so, we Texans take it upon ourselves to do just that. Did you know that there are at least 5 bills under consideration in this current Legislature to correct those inactions of the federal government? And WE will if the federal government does not.

Those are but a few examples of why I support this bill, and pray to our Lord that it passes and the word sent to the Congress of the United States, that, under this administration, and the attempts of that administration to subrogate the powers of the United States Constitution, to its own perverted ends, will not be tolerated.

Yes, I am anxious to see what happens when "the Feds threaten to put the squeeze on the redistributions" as you put it.

:clapping: :tiphat: :iagree:
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

joe817 wrote:

:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

joe817 wrote:
That's a wild assertion you make, my friend . . . . Yes, I am anxious to see what happens when "the Feds threaten to put the squeeze on the redistributions" as you put it.

Those are not such wild assertions. The Feds take a lot of money out of Texas and (currently) send a lot back. If they were to stop returning money, it would make a big difference. It would be noticed.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

gward

Post by gward »

joe817 wrote:

Yep, me to :iagree: :txflag:

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I'm with joe817.
I wonder what the feds would do if 35 States stopped sending any taxes (payroll included) or revenue collected outside their borders except to the other participating 35 States.
Seems like Washington would have very little to redistribute. I think Texas would be a good first State to start the ball rolling.

The 10th Amendment is gaining ground and it should be wielded like a sword to the bitter end...

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

joe817 wrote:

You are apparently not aware of the significant independence we Texans wield.
Well, I guess I have not been here very long either, just since 1979. But it is long enough to remember when Texas had a 19 year old drinking age. And remember it was changed to 21 when the feds passed a law saying we lose some of those highway funds if we did not change it.

While I appreciate our independent attitude, I also recognize how the government acts in reality.
Steve Rothstein

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Right2Carry »

srothstein wrote:
joe817 wrote:

You are apparently not aware of the significant independence we Texans wield.
Well, I guess I have not been here very long either, just since 1979. But it is long enough to remember when Texas had a 19 year old drinking age. And remember it was changed to 21 when the feds passed a law saying we lose some of those highway funds if we did not change it.

While I appreciate our independent attitude, I also recognize how the government acts in reality.

They did the same thing with the 55 MPH speed limit.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

The House of Representatives received from the Senate SCR 1 yesterday, 04/14/2015.

This will be interesting to see how far this goes.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”