Here we go again

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Here we go again

Post by Rex B »

"The weekly kumbaya breakfast between the big three Texas lawmakers broke down today into a round-robin of recriminations that concluded with Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick declaring he was tired of Governor Greg Abbott and Speaker Joe Straus “picking on me.” "

http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-blog/ ... fast-blows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Here we go again

Post by mojo84 »

I'm sick of the egos and petty disagreements. This is the kind of stuff that helps the progressives advance their agendas. They need to stop the childishness.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I honestly expected more adult behavior out of Texas republicans. Plus, Stauss has GOT to go.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

I'd take this blogger with a grain of salt. This quote was attributed to Paul Burka after the elections:
"The big winners from the primary runoff were Dan Patrick and the tea party. The big loser was the state of Texas, which sailed into unknown territory. The tea party, collectively, is in total control of the state, and the consequences are going to be staggering. All state services are in peril, in particular, the public schools. It’s the revenge of the know-nothings."

I wouldn't believe a word that came out of this guys mouth. He obviously has an agenda against the right.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gljjt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gljjt »

jmra wrote:I'd take this blogger with a grain of salt. This quote was attributed to Paul Burka after the elections:
"The big winners from the primary runoff were Dan Patrick and the tea party. The big loser was the state of Texas, which sailed into unknown territory. The tea party, collectively, is in total control of the state, and the consequences are going to be staggering. All state services are in peril, in particular, the public schools. It’s the revenge of the know-nothings."

I wouldn't believe a word that came out of this guys mouth. He obviously has an agenda against the right.
Agree. Two words: Texas Monthly. Other than BBQ and other food reviews, this rag is worthless. And sometimes even then.

Topic author
Rex B

Post by Rex B »

The fact that Patrick and the Senate are butting heads with Straus is a matter of record. As much as I agree with Patrick's agenda, he is a confrontational individual. I am OK with that - we need more of it at all levels - but it is not always the best way to advance a worthwhile agenda.
But the bottom line is we did not get rid of Strauss - again.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jmra

Post by jmra »

Rex B wrote:The fact that Patrick and the Senate are butting heads with Straus is a matter of record. As much as I agree with Patrick's agenda, he is a confrontational individual. I am OK with that - we need more of it at all levels - but it is not always the best way to advance a worthwhile agenda.
But the bottom line is we did not get rid of Strauss - again.
I think we've all known that Straus has been a problem for a while. But I believe that the blogger is creating or at least exaggerating a situation between Abbott and Patrick to serve his own agenda.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Anyone who didn't see petty bickering coming from Patrick isn't paying attention. Jerry Patterson should be our Lt. Gov., but I only got to vote once :banghead:

Srnewby

Post by Srnewby »

There was an article in the Denton paper today that seemed to indicate that some progress is being made in the ongoing "competition" (my term) between the House and the Senate and that we should start to see issues being resolved between the two houses of the legislature. I certainly hope that is the case. The only major gun legislation that appears to have much of a chance of passing is open carry and it is one of the issues that is caught in the crossfire. I saw that on Thursday the Senate had first reading and committee assignment for a number of House bills. Unfortunately, HB 910 was not one of the bills sent to a Senate Committee. If there is anything that those in the know can share, it would be good to have an update. If not, I guess we have no choice but to continue to be patient.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

This is really frustrating for me. I thought we had a pretty decent chance for campus carry to pass, but alas, we will still have tons special zones in our state for criminals to do as they please, and law abiding citizens to be disarmed. I also thought open carry would pass, but good lord these buffoons might just screw any pro-gun legislation up while they try to see whose is bigger.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I wouldn't believe anything written in Texas Monthly. It's been a leftist rag for decades now. Texas Tribune is the same.
TSRA Life Memeber

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

The title of this post seems to fit.

I've been quiet most of this session, waiting to see what our reps in Austin would come up with. Oh, I've sent a few emails about open carry and a couple other things. The same old power struggles seem to rule, and guess who is standing in the way? Our old friend, Joe Strauss. Again. Campus carry appears to be getting nowhere, and Licensed open carry is teetering on a death slope of history. I'm for licensed open carry, if this late amendment killed open carry, I think that is a serious underwhelming argument. Can LEO's pull over any driver at any time just to see if they have a license? No, it's a good addition to good legislation to try and cut down on harassment.

As voters, we changed the Governor and Lt. Governor, some of us strongly suggested the Speaker needed to be replaced too, but things would be different this time we were told.

See you in two years. Anybody have any good ideas for Open Carry 2017 t-shirts?
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

A-R

Post by A-R »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Anybody have any good ideas for Open Carry 2017 t-shirts?

Yes. Don't make nor wear one at all. Open carry is ultimate red herring and wedge issue within the pro-gun crowd. No one can really articulate a reason why it is so necessary or important (other than "because: rights" or "because other states have it".

I say kick open carry to the curb. The raving lunatics on the issue have poisoned it. Move on to the vastly more important battles like removing statutory gun-free zones and reducing 30.06 to a ticketable-only Class C Misdemeanor.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Hey A-R -- Totally agree, the knuckle heads that can't get CHL's are the problem. I'd like to have the option to carry openly (licensed) on those (hot) days it's very difficult to add another layer to keep everything hidden, and out of view. We were told it would be different this time, it's shaping up to the be the same old thing in my view.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

A-R wrote:
baseballguy2001 wrote: Anybody have any good ideas for Open Carry 2017 t-shirts?

Yes. Don't make nor wear one at all. Open carry is ultimate red herring and wedge issue within the pro-gun crowd. No one can really articulate a reason why it is so necessary or important (other than "because: rights" or "because other states have it".

I say kick open carry to the curb. The raving lunatics on the issue have poisoned it. Move on to the vastly more important battles like removing statutory gun-free zones and reducing 30.06 to a ticketable-only Class C Misdemeanor.
Unfortunately, if you do that, the aforementioned raving lunatics will not go away. Instead, they're going to continue poisoning the water for everyone, and the politicians in Austin (at least the entrenched ones with established power structures, reliable donors, and good-ol'-boy networks) will shy further and further away from the issue. Absent a -complete- leadership change, if it's not accomplished, and soon, it will -never- be, and the rabble-rousers will start affecting other, accompanying issues with their cheery dispositions.

There is one solution that will work. Pass Open Carry, and take the issue away from the idiots. After all, while their tactics are idiotic, they do have a point. Other states have OC, unlicensed OC, even unlicenced carry in general, and there's no blood in the streets, making the Texas ban on open carry a demonstrable malum prohibum law instead of malum in se, and therefore one that should not exist. The argument of "why should we allow this" should be dismissed, and replaced with the argument of "why is this not allowed?"

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”