Any new bills to fix Disorderly conduct by D. Firearm?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Any new bills to fix Disorderly conduct by D. Firearm?

Post by Beiruty »

Are there any new bills to fix Disorderly Conduct by Displaying a Firearm in a manner calculated to alarm?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K5GU

Re: Any new bills to fix Disorderly conduct by D. Firearm?

Post by K5GU »

Beiruty wrote:Are there any new bills to fix Disorderly Conduct by Displaying a Firearm in a manner calculated to alarm?
The only introduced bill I know of that directly amends PC 42.01 (Disorderly Conduct) is HB2445 introduced on 3/5/15 and considered in committee on 4/21/15.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 02445I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Charles Cotton's 2015 Bills section: "HB2445 (White, James): Relating to conduct that constitutes the offense of displaying a firearm in a public place.
Impact: Repeals Tex. Penal Code §42.01(a)(8) that creates an offence for displaying a firearm in a certain manner.
This provision has been abused.
Position on Bill: Support
Life is good.

jmra

Post by jmra »

K5GU wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Are there any new bills to fix Disorderly Conduct by Displaying a Firearm in a manner calculated to alarm?
The only introduced bill I know of that directly amends PC 42.01 (Disorderly Conduct) is HB2445 introduced on 3/5/15 and considered in committee on 4/21/15.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 02445I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Charles Cotton's 2015 Bills section: "HB2445 (White, James): Relating to conduct that constitutes the offense of displaying a firearm in a public place.
Impact: Repeals Tex. Penal Code §42.01(a)(8) that creates an offence for displaying a firearm in a certain manner.
This provision has been abused.
Position on Bill: Support
I heard the witnesses and the committee comments on this bill the other day. The he committee wants to see changes to the wording of the bill before it will give serious consideration to the bill.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bolton Strid
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bolton Strid »

Holy moley, that's lame, HB2445 isn't much of a bill. All it does is strike out section 8 of 42.01 of the penal code. What is needed is a reform of the concept of disorderly conduct, and that ain't it. The legislature is going to have to tangibly clarify that mere open carry possession of a firearm doesn't constitute disorderly conduct. Something else that may need to be amended to by the legislature is 38.03 of the penal code to allow for there to be a defense to prosecution against unlawful search or arrest. Just passing OC on through without accompanying reforms in other statutes is only doing the job half baked and setting the stage for future problems.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

Bolton Strid wrote:Something else that may need to be amended to by the legislature is 38.03 of the penal code to allow for there to be a defense to prosecution against unlawful search or arrest. Just passing OC on through without accompanying reforms in other statutes is only doing the job half baked and setting the stage for future problems.
HB1168/SB1795 sought to do that, but they were killed.

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

Any updated information concerning reforming what constitutes disorderly conduct & defense for illegal search/seizure??

Hullo??
Smoke Rings in the Dark

CJD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CJD »

Bolton Strid wrote:Any updated information concerning reforming what constitutes disorderly conduct & defense for illegal search/seizure??

Hullo??
Both died.

Bolton Strid

Post by Bolton Strid »

CJD wrote:Both died.
Oooo - deal breaker for me. There are states that have had open carry since dirt began and people were still getting hauled in over legally questionable incidents until those issues were reformed. Folks who are in the market for the latest-greatest retention holster may want to budget in some set aside money for bail.
Smoke Rings in the Dark

amaly23

Post by amaly23 »

Here's the easiest fix that legislators should do in 2017.
St̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶s are deletions in the penal code, u̲n̲d̲e̲r̲l̲i̲n̲e̲s̲ are additions.

Amend Penal Code Sec. 42.01. (8) (Disorderly conduct) like this:
A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
8. displays a firearm o̶r̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶ in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm, b̲u̲t̲ ̲t̲h̲e̲ ̲m̲e̲r̲e̲ ̲c̲a̲r̲r̲y̲i̲n̲g̲ ̲o̲r̲ ̲p̲o̲s̲s̲e̲s̲s̲i̲o̲n̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲a̲n̲y̲ ̲f̲i̲r̲e̲a̲r̲m̲ ̲o̲r̲ ̲w̲e̲a̲p̲o̲n̲ ̲s̲h̲a̲l̲l̲ ̲n̲o̲t̲ ̲b̲e̲ ̲c̲o̲n̲s̲i̲d̲e̲r̲e̲d̲ ̲d̲i̲s̲o̲r̲d̲e̲r̲l̲y̲ ̲c̲o̲n̲d̲u̲c̲t.

Would largely prevent law enforcement harassment if there is any towards open carry of handguns. What are your thoughts on this? This same model has been used in other states such as Utah.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”