HB910/SB17 standoff

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB910/SB17 standoff

Post by jerry_r60 »

Ruark wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote::thewave

Now let's finish this off. Committee in the house on sb 11 and 17 and hopefully a floor vote. Those two hurdles... 308 needs a floor vote in the house and the senate to take it up. Come on... :txflag:
Argghhhh I hope not. We want 910 in the Senate, not 17 in the House. 910 has the additional amendments.
The Senate seemed a bit easier go. There didn't seem to be the same kind of loose cannon we saw in the house during debates.

safety1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by safety1 »

v7a wrote:Next week's State Affairs committee meeting has been scheduled and HB910 is not on the list.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:headscratch I don't get it. Just put it on the calendar guys!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

I know not really, but it seems like our reps want to make an easy job look hard so they can tell us how much they worked for this. Like an auto mechanic keeping the car 3 days and a big bill, when all he did was change the fuel filter.

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by v7a »

Next week's Homeland Security committee meeting has now also been scheduled. SB11 and SB17 are not on the list.

Unless they somehow get added before the meeting occurs, this means that there will be zero action on Open Carry or Campus Carry in either House or Senate next week.

Appearently after some brief excitement this week we're back to a game of chicken:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles, is there anything you can tell us yet about any of this?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baseballguy2001 »

It seems to me, as voters we changed just about every office in Texas except one. The one we have no control over. We were told because of certain (meaningless in my view) events, "this time" lots of Pro2A legislation will get done.

The current speaker has to go.

I'll say it again -- see you in 2017.

By then, this session will be ancient history. Just like in baseball, the terrible year that was last season is forgotten. I have no doubt there will be more democrats in the legislature in 2017, THIS session was the one to get it done.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I don't pretend to understand a whole lot of what goes on in the legislature, but I see a whole lot of people giving up hope for making any significant 2A gains this session.

I've watched this legislative process play out for the last several sessions since I got my CHL (and I still don't understand a lot of it), and I've seen some good stuff come out at the 11th hour.

I'm not going to give up hope until June 2, or until Charles says all hope is lost, whichever comes first.
NRA lifetime member

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

mr1337
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mr1337 »

Love me some Mike Cargill. I try to give him my business whenever I can.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

timtheteacher wrote:HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

NOTICE OF FORMAL MEETING

COMMITTEE: Homeland Security & Public Safety

TIME & DATE: 10:10 AM, Friday, May 08, 2015

PLACE: Agricultural Museum, 1W.14
CHAIR: Rep. Larry Phillips

The committee will meet to consider pending business.

Notice of this meeting was announced from the house floor.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84 ... 810101.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothin about SB17 or SB11. SB179 out of committee. One step closer to qualifying with 22lr instead of .32...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

While we wait for the children to play nice, some legal news from the 6th Circuit:

The Fourth Amendment and open carry of guns (where such open carry is legal)
While open-carry laws may put police officers (and some motorcyclists) in awkward situations from time to time, the Ohio legislature has decided its citizens may be entrusted with firearms on public streets. Ohio Rev. Code §§ 9.68, 2923.125. The Toledo Police Department has no authority to disregard this decision — not to mention the protections of the Fourth Amendment — by detaining every “gunman” who lawfully possesses a firearm. And it has long been clearly established that an officer needs evidence of criminality or dangerousness before he may detain and disarm a law-abiding citizen. We thus affirm the district court’s conclusion that, after reading the factual inferences in the record in Northrup’s favor, Officer Bright could not reasonably suspect that Northrup needed to be disarmed.

safety1
Posts in topic: 15

Post by safety1 »

v7a wrote:While we wait for the children to play nice, some legal news from the 6th Circuit:

The Fourth Amendment and open carry of guns (where such open carry is legal)
While open-carry laws may put police officers (and some motorcyclists) in awkward situations from time to time, the Ohio legislature has decided its citizens may be entrusted with firearms on public streets. Ohio Rev. Code §§ 9.68, 2923.125. The Toledo Police Department has no authority to disregard this decision — not to mention the protections of the Fourth Amendment — by detaining every “gunman” who lawfully possesses a firearm. And it has long been clearly established that an officer needs evidence of criminality or dangerousness before he may detain and disarm a law-abiding citizen. We thus affirm the district court’s conclusion that, after reading the factual inferences in the record in Northrup’s favor, Officer Bright could not reasonably suspect that Northrup needed to be disarmed.
I ashamed right now :roll:
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”