Close to end of session, feeling blue - are you also??

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

safety1
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Close to end of session, feeling blue - are you also??

Post by safety1 »

baseballguy2001 wrote:Nice work compiling all that data.

Confirms what I've been thinking all session long -- see you in 2017.
What are you thinking? :confused5
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

safety1 wrote:

I'm thinking that Strauss is going to succeed again in stuffing gun bills he doesn't like, and the voters be hanged.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

safety1

Post by safety1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
safety1 wrote:

I'm thinking that Strauss is going to succeed again in stuffing gun bills he doesn't like, and the voters be hanged.
SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes
to the floor for a vote...correct? How is Strauss going to stop that? Maybe I don't know how the process works, but NO WAY one
man is going to hold up the entire show when BOTH chambers already had favorable votes on these bills. Gotta be more to it than that.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

safety1 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
safety1 wrote:

SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes
to the floor for a vote...correct? How is Strauss going to stop that? Maybe I don't know how the process works, but NO WAY one
man is going to hold up the entire show when BOTH chambers already had favorable votes on these bills. Gotta be more to it than that.
HB910 (House version of SB17) passed the house and was sent to the Senate and has been sent to Committee there so that one is out of the control of the House Calendars committee now however it's still stuck.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K5GU »

safety1 wrote:

I'll wait 'till after this session ends to articulate what I think about the inefficient practices of this legislature. Considering the 6000 + bills still on file this session, and assuming maybe 20% of those bills have enough teeth to be considered, with 14 days or so left, they'd have to process approx. 90 bills per day before the deadline. Good luck with that!
Life is good.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

safety1 wrote:SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes
SB11 and SB17 made it to the House in late March. After that they have to be sent to committee (hasn't happened yet), then to Calendars (controlled by Strauss) and then to the floor for a vote. That path is not likely to happen at this point.

HB910 was passed by the House and was received by the Senate on 4/21 (nearly a month after the House received the Senate versions of the bills). It has been referred to the State Affairs Committee where it is sitting currently. From there it has to pass out of committee, to a floor vote and then either back to the House for consent (not through Calendars) if there are changes to the bill, or onto the Governor if it passes as is. This is the more likely path.

Yes, time is running out, but as it is frequently said, if it weren't for the last minute nothing would get done. There is still some hope. I'm not giving up yet.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

K5GU wrote: I'll wait 'till after this session ends to articulate what I think about the inefficient practices of this legislature. Considering the 6000 + bills still on file this session, and assuming maybe 20% of those bills have enough teeth to be considered, with 14 days or so left, they'd have to process approx. 90 bills per day before the deadline. Good luck with that!
If you look at the number of items that wind up on the Local Calendar (or Local Consent) which seems to be reserved for the least contentious bills, A LOT will get pushed through in pretty short order. It is many of the contentious bills that will take a bit more time and have more floor attention in both chambers.

Frankly, I'm glad to some extent, that the founders of Texas set up our Constitution to make it hard for the Legislature to do much.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

Papa_Tiger wrote:SB11 and SB17 made it to the House in late March. After that they have to be sent to committee (hasn't happened yet), then to Calendars (controlled by Strauss) and then to the floor for a vote. That path is not likely to happen at this point.
Both SB 11 and SB 17 were assigned to the House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety, one week ago today.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Ruark »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I'm thinking that Strauss is going to succeed again in stuffing gun bills he doesn't like, and the voters be hanged.
When just ONE person can control legislation like that, particularly on a bill with broad support and that has sailed through the committees and both legislative bodies, it's a blatant corruption and disregard of the concept of "democracy."
-Ruark

Ruark
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Ruark »

jerry_r60 wrote: HB910 (House version of SB17) passed the house and was sent to the Senate and has been sent to Committee there so that one is out of the control of the House Calendars committee now however it's still stuck.
Why is it stuck? What's the problem?
-Ruark

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Ruark wrote:
jerry_r60 wrote: HB910 (House version of SB17) passed the house and was sent to the Senate and has been sent to Committee there so that one is out of the control of the House Calendars committee now however it's still stuck.
Why is it stuck? What's the problem?
I don't think anyone not plugged into the "inside" of congress knows that answer.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
safety1 wrote:SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes
SB11 and SB17 made it to the House in late March. After that they have to be sent to committee (hasn't happened yet), then to Calendars (controlled by Strauss) and then to the floor for a vote. That path is not likely to happen at this point.

HB910 was passed by the House and was received by the Senate on 4/21 (nearly a month after the House received the Senate versions of the bills). It has been referred to the State Affairs Committee where it is sitting currently. From there it has to pass out of committee, to a floor vote and then either back to the House for consent (not through Calendars) if there are changes to the bill, or onto the Governor if it passes as is. This is the more likely path.

Yes, time is running out, but as it is frequently said, if it weren't for the last minute nothing would get done. There is still some hope. I'm not giving up yet.
This is the path I was referring to that bypasses Strauss....and I agree the most likely. Maybe our guys (House-Rs) don't like it, because it don't have the amendments HB910 does, and trying to add them would kill it. I'd take it and run....a win is a win is a win. If more places (businesses) prohibited carry over it, I'll find other places to do business. (correction, I apologize. I stated the wrong bills. I should have said HB910 was already to Committee not SB17 & 11.
Last edited by safety1 on Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA - Life Member

K5GU
Posts in topic: 5

Post by K5GU »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
K5GU wrote: I'll wait 'till after this session ends to articulate what I think about the inefficient practices of this legislature. Considering the 6000 + bills still on file this session, and assuming maybe 20% of those bills have enough teeth to be considered, with 14 days or so left, they'd have to process approx. 90 bills per day before the deadline. Good luck with that!
If you look at the number of items that wind up on the Local Calendar (or Local Consent) which seems to be reserved for the least contentious bills, A LOT will get pushed through in pretty short order. It is many of the contentious bills that will take a bit more time and have more floor attention in both chambers.

Frankly, I'm glad to some extent, that the founders of Texas set up our Constitution to make it hard for the Legislature to do much.
They better hurry. The Local and Consent Calendars deadlines begin tomorrow.
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/dates/dates% ... terest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

safety1 wrote:SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes to the floor for a vote...correct? How is Strauss going to stop that? Maybe I don't know how the process works, but NO WAY one man is going to hold up the entire show when BOTH chambers already had favorable votes on these bills. Gotta be more to it than that.
Both SB 11 & SB 17 were referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee on 05/05/15, a week ago today. And as far as I can tell, they have not scheduled hearing the 2 bills this week. In fact, they have only 1 scheduled meeting this week, which was today, according to TLO's schedule of hearings for this week.

I've tried very hard to learn about the legislative process this session, and the more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know. :???:

To me, it's a puzzle, wrapped in an enigma, encased in a puzzle, all inside a dichotomy....if that makes sense. :grumble
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

joe817 wrote:
safety1 wrote:SB11 & SB17 already made it to committee? Which should be a Pro 2A committee right? .....if it goes out of committee it goes to the floor for a vote...correct? How is Strauss going to stop that? Maybe I don't know how the process works, but NO WAY one man is going to hold up the entire show when BOTH chambers already had favorable votes on these bills. Gotta be more to it than that.
Both SB 11 & SB 17 were referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee on 05/05/15, a week ago today. And as far as I can tell, they have not scheduled hearing the 2 bills this week. In fact, they have only 1 scheduled meeting this week, which was today, according to TLO's schedule of hearings for this week.

I've tried very hard to learn about the legislative process this session, and the more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know. :???:

To me, it's a puzzle, wrapped in an enigma, encased in a puzzle, all inside a dichotomy....if that makes sense. :grumble
The House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety already held hearings on the House companions to SB 11 and SB 17, so the committee won't hold hearings on SB 11 or SB 17. They just have to vote the bills out of committee, and such votes aren't publicly scheduled.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”