SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

v7a wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Gov. Abbott will sign both HB910 and SB11, probably at the same time at a public signing.
Public as in "journalists will be present", or "anyone can attend"? If he'll be signing them in Austin I'd love to go and take a picture of the bills being signed.
That will depend upon the venue. If it's at the Capitol in either the House or Senate, then the public can probably attend in the gallery. If it's on private property, then the size of the venue will be a factor. I don't know yet when or where. I hope it will be open to the public, but then the Bloomberg loons can show up too and make it a circus. They have no respect for honesty or decorum. They fought, lied, deceived, and lost, so they'll be mad.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott Farkus wrote:
baldeagle wrote:He was in Dallas today signing transportation bills that benefit north Dallas. I suspect he'll do a similar public signing of the gun bills, probably in Austin.
He should sign SB273 in front of the 30.06 sign at Austin City Hall, HB910 in front of Acevado's office at APD Headquarters, and SB11 on the steps of the UT tower building.

Or would that be spiking the football?
:thumbs2: I would do something like that; he probably won't.

Chas.

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paperchunker »

My take on SB11
I am 64 yrs old, a chl instructor and a full time college student. My wife, daughter and granddaughter are also college students. In 3 yrs attending college, after 45 yrs in the business world, I have found that going to class, studying, writing essay's, and taking exams is the easy part. The hard part is dealing with the bureaucratic nonsense and incompetence of the administration. I have done very well academically, so no sour grapes here.

I have zero confidence the college administrators will even attempt to do the right thing. This law takes effect 8/1/16 for 4 year public university's 5 months before the start of 2017 Legislative session. It takes effect for community colleges 8/1/2017, 2 months after the 2017 Legislative session. There is little chance enough data will be available to justify corrections until at least the 2019 session.

I will wait hopefully and help where I can to make this better for future students and staff. I do not feel we got anywhere near 80% of what we wanted, more like 8%.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 25

Post by ELB »

paperchunker wrote:My take on SB11
I am 64 yrs old, a chl instructor and a full time college student. My wife, daughter and granddaughter are also college students. ..
If you all go to the same school, sounds like you could start your own chapter of SCC! More seriously, if you have the time and inclination, you could help document non-compliance and maybe be a witness in the 2017 legislature. Or even have standing in court if need be.
USAF 1982-2005

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

koine2002 wrote:As a professor, I cannot second your lament of the bureaucratic nonsense that happens at colleges and universities. It used to be that the faculty were the schools and the fundamental governing body. However, the USDE, through requirements hoisted upon the recognized accreditors (to keep their USDE recognition), have placed levels upon levels of non-academic bureaucracy over the last 40 years.

While we, as a guild, are known for being leftists nuts, I can guarantee you that is not the case. It's just they are the loudest. There are plenty of gun loving profs out there. If faculty were still the primary governing body of colleges and universities, I can almost guarantee you that there would be very few GFZs on campuses.

There's actually a bit of a revival of Libertarian type thinking, at least in the non-economic areas, among academics in the US. We are quite alarmed at what is happening in the UK and Canada in terms of government censorship and speech as it has implications for our academic freedom (the freedom to pursue any line of inquiry regardless of where it may lead). It began, ironically, with Mr. Marxist, Noam Chomsky, himself in his protest of fellow academics being jailed in Europe for merely asking the question about the accuracy of Holocaust numbers. Many are now applying their newly acquired libertarianesque thinking to other areas such as self-defense. You won't find this published (as it would be academic suicide at this point), but I've found this in conversations with colleagues all around the country at symposia, society meetings, and other types of "tweed and bow tie" gatherings.
I assume you meant CAN second your lament.

It warms the cockles of my heart to read what you've written. I've been wondering for some time now where the champions of free speech were with all the speech codes and attempted suppression of speech going on these days, especially on college campuses. Maybe there's hope for us yet.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

baldeagle wrote:It warms the cockles of my heart to read what you've written. I've been wondering for some time now where the champions of free speech were with all the speech codes and attempted suppression of speech going on these days, especially on college campuses. Maybe there's hope for us yet.
:iagree: :hurry:
NRA Endowment Member

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by paperchunker »

koine2002 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
koine2002 wrote:As a professor, I cannot second your lament of the bureaucratic nonsense that happens at colleges and universities. It used to be that the faculty were the schools and the fundamental governing body. However, the USDE, through requirements hoisted upon the recognized accreditors (to keep their USDE recognition), have placed levels upon levels of non-academic bureaucracy over the last 40 years.

While we, as a guild, are known for being leftists nuts, I can guarantee you that is not the case. It's just they are the loudest. There are plenty of gun loving profs out there. If faculty were still the primary governing body of colleges and universities, I can almost guarantee you that there would be very few GFZs on campuses.

There's actually a bit of a revival of Libertarian type thinking, at least in the non-economic areas, among academics in the US. We are quite alarmed at what is happening in the UK and Canada in terms of government censorship and speech as it has implications for our academic freedom (the freedom to pursue any line of inquiry regardless of where it may lead). It began, ironically, with Mr. Marxist, Noam Chomsky, himself in his protest of fellow academics being jailed in Europe for merely asking the question about the accuracy of Holocaust numbers. Many are now applying their newly acquired libertarianesque thinking to other areas such as self-defense. You won't find this published (as it would be academic suicide at this point), but I've found this in conversations with colleagues all around the country at symposia, society meetings, and other types of "tweed and bow tie" gatherings.
I assume you meant CAN second your lament.

It warms the cockles of my heart to read what you've written. I've been wondering for some time now where the champions of free speech were with all the speech codes and attempted suppression of speech going on these days, especially on college campuses. Maybe there's hope for us yet.
Yes, I meant "can." Thanks. I fixed it.
Trust me, my comments were aimed at Administrators, Registrars, Finance, Advisers, Deans and Vice-Presidents. I have had no problem with Professor's.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

Is the Maine Governor related to Huffines or Stickland? :smilelol5:
AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday he would not sign a bill that would make it legal for adults older than 21 to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

LePage, in a telephone interview with Ric Tyler and George Hale of radio station WVOM, said he opposes an age restriction added to the bill by the Maine House of Representatives on Monday.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 28

Post by RHenriksen »

'Not sign' <> 'veto'
v7a wrote:Is the Maine Governor related to Huffines or Stickland? :smilelol5:
AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. Paul LePage said Tuesday he would not sign a bill that would make it legal for adults older than 21 to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

LePage, in a telephone interview with Ric Tyler and George Hale of radio station WVOM, said he opposes an age restriction added to the bill by the Maine House of Representatives on Monday.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

viking1000
Posts in topic: 52

Post by viking1000 »

I just got back home I will find it for you ..

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

RHenriksen wrote:'Not sign' <> 'veto'
Sure, but not signing a bill that's 90% of what you wanted is silly.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 28

Post by RHenriksen »

v7a wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:'Not sign' <> 'veto'
Sure, but not signing a bill that's 90% of what you wanted is silly.
He is a major iconoclast to be sure, but one that's been a badly needed breath of fresh air instead of 'business as usual' in government. We always complain about electing new representatives or senators or governors who talk the talk during the campaign, but don't walk the walk once they join the club. Le Page has DEFINITELY not been in that camp. He's not afraid to call a spade a spade, stands up to the tax & spend crowd, etc.

He vetoed an anti-gun bill last session that would have been a big setback for 2A rights. If he doesn't sign the bill, it still becomes law.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”