SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by oohrah »

I have to echo what koine2002 said. I too am a professor, and at a private university. The administration has made it pretty clear that they want to opt out of campus carry. While a number of faculty signed a petition on 2013 opposing CC, I have found a number of faculty like myself who have a CHL or support CHL.

But besides the minority of vocal antis on faculty, and the non-vocal CHLers (fear of repercussions if outed?), I have also found a lot of ignorance, just as we saw in some of the testimonies in the lege, and in letters to the editor.

In a summary of our faculty senate's recent action last semester, my Senator listed a discussion of the possible passage of CC, and noted that the Faculty Senate was "unanimously opposed" to CC. When I confronted him, it turns out there was no actual vote, he was just assuming because no one spoke in favor. He was even ignorant of current university policy allowing CHLers to keep their guns locked in their car in a university parking lot.

I think until good evidence exists after 9/1/2016 of responsible carry on campuses around the state, that this ignorance will persist because of close-mindedness.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

That's troubling oohrah. When I was in college back in the stone age, when there was a highly charged issue our profs would challenge us to go research the topic and take the emotion out of it. I think Charles Cook wrote about the "blood in the streets" claim and pretty much debunked it. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/41 ... un-streets One would hope people in an institute of "higher learning" might be able to do a bit of research and dig up some fact prior to forming an opinion instead of forming an opinion then looking for the facts only if challenged.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

That's a great aricle, XinTX. I'm archivng it for future debates.

Some people put professors on a pedestal, but they can be just as narrow-minded and political as anyone else.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 10

Post by suthdj »

so why do community colleges have to wait until 2017?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

oohrah wrote:That's a great aricle, XinTX. I'm archivng it for future debates.

Some people put professors on a pedestal, but they can be just as narrow-minded and political as anyone else.
They can become narrow minded, perhaps more so once they gain tenure. And there are some who don't mind using their classrooms and departments as a tool of indoctrination. I think the result of using schools for indoctrination rather than education can be seen in how so few are willing to challenge the entire "blood in the streets" mantra. Despite all the evidence to the contrary.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

poppo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by poppo »

suthdj wrote:so why do community colleges have to wait until 2017?
Because apparently there are some community colleges that also have high school students attending some classes. So they wanted the extra time to figure out how to deal with it. I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that it has something to do with the GFSZA.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

suthdj
Posts in topic: 10

Post by suthdj »

poppo wrote:
Because apparently there are some community colleges that also have high school students attending some classes. So they wanted the extra time to figure out how to deal with it. I'm assuming (but could be wrong) that it has something to do with the GFSZA.
My co-worker had his 16-17yo son attending UTD for final 2 years of HS, living in a dorm and attending classes, getting his HS degree and earning credit towards college so how is that any different?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

poppo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by poppo »

suthdj wrote:
poppo wrote:
My co-worker had his 16-17yo son attending UTD for final 2 years of HS, living in a dorm and attending classes, getting his HS degree and earning credit towards college so how is that any different?
I really don't know. That was just my understanding of the delay for community colleges.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

JollyHappyDad
Posts in topic: 27

Post by JollyHappyDad »

suthdj wrote:
poppo wrote:
Speculating here, but I believe its because guns not allowed on preK thru 12 "campuses", & they think having HS students on their campus makes them a quasi HS. Oh the danger to the children.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ScooterSissy »

v7a wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:'Not sign' <> 'veto'
Sure, but not signing a bill that's 90% of what you wanted is silly.
Unfortunately, sometimes when the folks "pushing" get "90% of what they want", nothing further gets done. That leaves the 10% out in the cold.

If I was in that 18-21 year old group, I would be be applauding the actions of the governor. I suspect that there won't be a major push to go back and readdress this for that small of a group.

nobius
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nobius »

Got the below from the Chancellor of one of the junior colleges I teach at:
Senate Bill 11 on campus concealed carry passed with many changes from the original bill. The final bill allows the CEO of a community college (after consulting with students, faculty, and staff) to create reasonable rules and/or regulations regarding the carrying of concealed weapons on a college campus. These rules cannot generally prohibit or have the effect of generally prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons on a college campus. The rules and regulations developed must be approved by the Board of Trustees by a 2/3 vote, published on the college’s website, communicated to the College community, and submitted to the Legislature. The implementation of the bill does not take effect until August 1, 2017 for community colleges (August 1, 2016 for universities).

i. I anticipate that [college name] will begin our consultation period with students, faculty, staff, and other constituents during the fall 2015 and spring 2016 semesters. More details will follow later in this calendar year.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baldeagle »

XinTX wrote:That's troubling oohrah. When I was in college back in the stone age, when there was a highly charged issue our profs would challenge us to go research the topic and take the emotion out of it. I think Charles Cook wrote about the "blood in the streets" claim and pretty much debunked it. http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/41 ... un-streets One would hope people in an institute of "higher learning" might be able to do a bit of research and dig up some fact prior to forming an opinion instead of forming an opinion then looking for the facts only if challenged.
That would be a vain hope. Look at global warming. Has academic rigor been the norm or the exception? Look at studies on the impact on children living in same-sex marriages. Has academic rigor been the exception or the norm? Look at studies on "gun violence". Has academic rigor been the norm or the exception? What about the Vietnam War history? Has academic rigor been the norm or the exception?

In issue after issue after issue many academics have proven themselves unable to be objective and dispassionate. Their liberal leanings have influenced them to the point that the results of their studies bear no relationship to reality.

This is not to say that this is the case with every academic. There are some academics who are excellent researchers and can separate their political leanings from their research. The problem is they are the exception, not the norm.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

So when will HB910 be signed?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”