Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by v7a »

thechl
Posts in topic: 9

Post by thechl »

TheCytochromeC wrote:An exerpt from and e-mail from the University of Texas at Arlington students:
Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Message Regarding Texas Senate Bill 11

Dear members of the UTA community:

You are no doubt aware that the Texas State Legislature this weekend passed and sent to the governor for consideration Senate Bill 11, informally known as “campus carry,” allowing guns to be brought on to university property. While the broad implications of the bill are known, the details of implementation, including mechanisms for gathering input and processes to conform to the new requirements, still have to be worked out. We are conferring with the UT System and the Board of Regents on these. As we proceed, we will reach out to all members of our community for input.

In the event that you have not seen Chancellor William McRaven’s statement to the UT community in response to the passage of SB 11, it is posted below in its entirety.

Please know that the safety and security of our UTA family as well as all those who visit our campus is of the utmost importance and always foremost in our planning and actions.

Thank you for your continued support of The University of Texas at Arlington.

Sincerely,

Vistasp Karbhari
President

Statement from Chancellor William McRaven:

AUSTIN – Today, the Texas Legislature reached a decision on the issue of campus carry. While it is not what we had hoped for, I respect the Legislature’s decision. I also appreciate legislators for recognizing the very specific safety considerations that are unique to campus environments.

It is helpful that the bill was amended to allow our campus presidents to consult with students, faculty and staff to develop rules and regulations that will govern the carrying of concealed handguns on campuses. I look forward to working with our presidents as they craft these policies and bring them to our Board of Regents for review.

I pledge to our students, faculty, staff, patients and their families and to all those who may visit a UT institution that, as UT System leaders, we will do everything in our power to maintain safe and secure campuses.
I'm rather content we didn't get "what we had hoped for".
It seems to me that if a persuasive person were to sit down with these university presidents and chancellors and explain to them what we have today, and that the legislative intent is to open that door further, it would go some way toward swaying their upcoming policies in our direction.

Unfortunately, I suspect their planners/briefers will more likely be 'yes men' who will only subvert the legislative intent as far left as they think the boss wants.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 63

Post by mojo84 »

thechl wrote:
TheCytochromeC wrote:An exerpt from and e-mail from the University of Texas at Arlington students:
Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Message Regarding Texas Senate Bill 11

Dear members of the UTA community:

You are no doubt aware that the Texas State Legislature this weekend passed and sent to the governor for consideration Senate Bill 11, informally known as “campus carry,” allowing guns to be brought on to university property. While the broad implications of the bill are known, the details of implementation, including mechanisms for gathering input and processes to conform to the new requirements, still have to be worked out. We are conferring with the UT System and the Board of Regents on these. As we proceed, we will reach out to all members of our community for input.

In the event that you have not seen Chancellor William McRaven’s statement to the UT community in response to the passage of SB 11, it is posted below in its entirety.

Please know that the safety and security of our UTA family as well as all those who visit our campus is of the utmost importance and always foremost in our planning and actions.

Thank you for your continued support of The University of Texas at Arlington.

Sincerely,

Vistasp Karbhari
President

Statement from Chancellor William McRaven:

AUSTIN – Today, the Texas Legislature reached a decision on the issue of campus carry. While it is not what we had hoped for, I respect the Legislature’s decision. I also appreciate legislators for recognizing the very specific safety considerations that are unique to campus environments.

It is helpful that the bill was amended to allow our campus presidents to consult with students, faculty and staff to develop rules and regulations that will govern the carrying of concealed handguns on campuses. I look forward to working with our presidents as they craft these policies and bring them to our Board of Regents for review.

I pledge to our students, faculty, staff, patients and their families and to all those who may visit a UT institution that, as UT System leaders, we will do everything in our power to maintain safe and secure campuses.
I'm rather content we didn't get "what we had hoped for".
It seems to me that if a persuasive person were to sit down with these university presidents and chancellors and explain to them what we have today, and that the legislative intent is to open that door further, it would go some way toward swaying their upcoming policies in our direction.

Unfortunately, I suspect their planners/briefers will more likely be 'yes men' who will only subvert the legislative intent as far left as they think the boss wants.
I think they have too much invested as far as their public position now to change their minds even if they were presented with strong persuasive argument. Folks at that level have huge egos and will seldom change their minds unless they are forced to do so. It would be a sign of being wrong and weakness for them to back off any now. It's unfortunate because their reasoning is misguided.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

thechl

Post by thechl »

I say that because it appears to me, from everything I'm reading, that they have no idea what the current law says!

But I take your point, too.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

thechl wrote:I say that because it appears to me, from everything I'm reading, that they have no idea what the current law says!

But I take your point, too.
I agree with your point as well. I doubt they have a true complete understanding of the law and it's implications.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Ruark »

mojo84 wrote: Unfortunately, I suspect their planners/briefers will more likely be 'yes men' who will only subvert the legislative intent as far left as they think the boss wants.
I think they have too much invested as far as their public position now to change their minds even if they were presented with strong persuasive argument. Folks at that level have huge egos and will seldom change their minds unless they are forced to do so. It would be a sign of being wrong and weakness for them to back off any now. It's unfortunate because their reasoning is misguided.
Yes. Trust me. I worked for the State for 37 years. State agency (and this includes UT) administration is ALL about power and ego, and has virtually nothing to do with knowledge or competence. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people on these boards who think SB11 allows drunk freshmen to run around with full-auto Uzis and twirl them on their fingers during class. But whatever they say is true. If they say the sky is green and 2+4=5, then the sky is green and 2+4=5, and those who don't nod and smile in agreement tend to not get invited to the socially correct backyard barbeques, their emails lost and their phone calls not returned. My hopes for SB11 sank like the Titanic when I learned that parameters for its implementation would be decided by these brainless, bureaucratic blobs of protoplasm and their subservient minions. I know; I've spent a considerable portion of my life sitting across conference tables from them.
-Ruark

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Ruark wrote:
mojo84 wrote: Unfortunately, I suspect their planners/briefers will more likely be 'yes men' who will only subvert the legislative intent as far left as they think the boss wants.
Yes. Trust me. I worked for the State for 37 years. State agency (and this includes UT) administration is ALL about power and ego, and has virtually nothing to do with knowledge or competence. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people on these boards who think SB11 allows drunk freshmen to run around with full-auto Uzis and twirl them on their fingers during class. But whatever they say is true. If they say the sky is green and 2+4=5, then the sky is green and 2+4=5, and those who don't nod and smile in agreement tend to not get invited to the socially correct backyard barbeques, their emails lost and their phone calls not returned. My hopes for SB11 sank like the Titanic when I learned that parameters for its implementation would be decided by these brainless, bureaucratic blobs of protoplasm and their subservient minions. I know; I've spent a considerable portion of my life sitting across conference tables from them.
That first sentence that I bolded above is not part of my comments and should not be attributed to me.

nobius
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nobius »

HB 910 Last Action: 06/01/2015 E Sent to the Governor
SB 11 Last Action: 06/01/2015 E Sent to the Governor

I wanted to know if the Governor has ten days or twenty days to sign these bills? Reading How a Bill Becomes A Law that someone linked me earlier in this thread (emphasis below is mine)...
Upon receiving a bill, the governor has 10 days in which to sign the bill, veto it, or allow it to become law without a signature. If the governor vetoes the bill and the legislature is still in session, the bill is returned to the house in which it originated with an explanation of the governor's objections. A two-thirds majority in each house is required to override the veto. If the governor neither vetoes nor signs the bill within 10 days, the bill becomes a law. If a bill is sent to the governor within 10 days of final adjournment, the governor has until 20 days after final adjournment to sign the bill, veto it, or allow it to become law without a signature.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Ruark »

mojo84 wrote: That first sentence that I bolded above is not part of my comments and should not be attributed to me.
Sorry, Mojo - sometimes it's hard to keep track when there's half a dozen layers of nested quotes!
-Ruark

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 29

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Sent to UNT today. They all sound like the same letter just spun around differently:

June 2, 2015

Dear UNT community members,

As you know, Texas’ Legislature has passed new legislation that will allow licensed gun owners to carry concealed handguns on campus.

This new legislation includes the benefit of exercising local control, and we will use that control to continue to do everything we can to provide a safe and secure environment for our students, faculty, staff and visitors.

While passage of the law is not what we had hoped for, we are now reviewing the legislation thoroughly to ensure that we fully understand our latitude in developing regulations for carrying concealed handguns on campus.

We will spend our time prior to Fall 2016 planning our implementation response, and consulting with all faculty, staff and students who have interest in or have raised concerns about this legislation.

I also will consult extensively with other campus leaders and police groups in Texas to better understand the additional costs and training associated with this bill. And, I will ask our police department and other units on campus to provide training and guidance to our community to help them understand how to personally respond in this new environment.

In the coming year, we will conduct a thorough and thoughtful process, and I assure all of our students and their families, faculty and staff members, and visitors that we remain committed to providing the best educational experience in Texas in a safe campus community.

UNT Proud,
Neal Smatresk
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

PBS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBS »

Is there any information on when Governor Abbott will sign HB 910 or SB 11? Also, is there any need to call his office and express our support in him signing this legislation? I'd hate for it to get derailed by his office being flooded with calls form MDAC or other anti second amendment folks.
Thanks
PBS

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

PBS wrote:Is there any information on when Governor Abbott will sign HB 910 or SB 11? Also, is there any need to call his office and express our support in him signing this legislation? I'd hate for it to get derailed by his office being flooded with calls form MDAC or other anti second amendment folks.
Thanks
PBS
He has publicly stated he will sign open carry. AFAIK we have no reason to suspect a veto of campus carry. I suspect it would be a massive political loss and against his stated objectives. Patience!

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 78

Post by v7a »

Based on what he said on a radio show this morning, SB11 will become law (though not sure if he intends to sign or let it become law without signature).

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Scott Farkus »

Can't imagine he won't sign these but if he doesn't, it becomes law after 10 days, I believe. Only way to stop it now is a veto, and I'd be beyond stunned if he did that.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Gov. Abbott will sign both HB910 and SB11, probably at the same time at a public signing.

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”