HB 910 Conference Committee

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

juno106
Posts in topic: 9

Re: HB 910 Conference Committee

Post by juno106 »

Or...

perhaps the blind bank account owner with the atm card is sitting in the passenger seat directly behind the driver...

or...

the blind college student is meeting another student on a certain floor of the parking garage...

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txyaloo »

nobius wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
RetNavy wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The Wall wrote:What if the person entering the premises is blind? Shouldn't these signs also be in Braille?
Now there's an idea for 2017! The MOMS will be going crazy, crazier than they are, that is.

Chas.
I'm pro 2A, obviously, and really don't want to discriminate against anyone ... but a blind shooter?? C'mon...

I remember laughing hard when I saw an elevator that had the federally mandated braille numbers and wording on it's signage. It was funny because it was a parking garage elevator; but hey, rules is rules...

cant be any different than the braille keypads on drive thru atm's
That is something that has always puzzled me.
Braille on drive through ATMs are a prime example of the link between political correctness and stupid governments.
I personally think it's not about blind drivers. It's just easier for the ATM button makers to make all the buttons the same way. Kind of like how all Coke bottles have imperial and metric units on them so they don't have to change the labels for shipping to Canada.
Ding ding ding! I work for a major ATM manufacturer and can confirm. Other things like headphone ports on drive-thru ATMs are due to ADA, but generally drive-thru ATMs are the same as lobby ATMs but just in a different outer shell.

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

As a visually impaired CHLer who will soon be legally blind, I'm glad my right to self defense is not in jeopardy and would hope you all support my rights just as vigorously as your own.

It's about personal responsibility. You have to know which shots are within your capability and not take the ones that are beyond your ability. It's the same standard I'd expect for all responsible shooters.

:patriot:
Native Texian

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

fickman wrote:As a visually impaired CHLer who will soon be legally blind, I'm glad my right to self defense is not in jeopardy and would hope you all support my rights just as vigorously as your own.

It's about personal responsibility. You have to know which shots are within your capability and not take the ones that are beyond your ability. It's the same standard I'd expect for all responsible shooters.

:patriot:
:txflag:
Carry on!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
The Wall wrote:What if the person entering the premises is blind? Shouldn't these signs also be in Braille?
Now there's an idea for 2017! The MOMS will be going crazy, crazier than they are, that is.

Chas.
I'm pro 2A, obviously, and really don't want to discriminate against anyone ... but a blind shooter?? C'mon...

I remember laughing hard when I saw an elevator that had the federally mandated braille numbers and wording on it's signage. It was funny because it was a parking garage elevator; but hey, rules is rules...
A close friend of mine for many years was blind since birth, and I took her shooting several times - she did quite well all considering.

Also let her drive my car a couple of times, on an abandoned airstrip. :cool:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
RetNavy wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Braille on drive through ATMs are a prime example of the link between political correctness and stupid governments.
I'm guessing it's probably less expensive and more convenient for ATM manufacturers to make/use one model of ATM keypad than make two models, one for drive-up ATMs and one for walk-up. It's not significantly more difficult or expensive to put a few little bumps on a plastic injection molded part than to leave them off. I guess if a blind person was in the car's back seat behind the driver they could use a drive-up ATM from inside a car, too.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AJSully421 »

juno106 wrote:In all seriousness, there is at least one totally blind individual with a TX CHL.

New provisions to require oral notification are an interesting twist as to how 30.06 / 30.07 notice can be provided.

This is a real issue.

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

Nice. Under the guise of the ADA... force any place that wishes to opt for 30.06 to have an audio recording playing of the exact text of 30.06, both in understandable english and spanish, to be repeated in a constant loop so that both warnings are read in 30 seconds each at a decibel rating at least 20 db above the average ambient noise level of that location as measured by a state certified & calibrated DB measuring device placed at the location for 365 consecutive days to obtain that average. Require it to be a solid state, weatherproof device that has a 96 hour battery backup in case of a power failure. Without this device in proper operation, any sign is null and void.

Also, make it so that any location that posts 30.06 or 30.07 is not allowed to have a door.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

CleverNickname wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
RetNavy wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

I'm guessing it's probably less expensive and more convenient for ATM manufacturers to make/use one model of ATM keypad than make two models, one for drive-up ATMs and one for walk-up. It's not significantly more difficult or expensive to put a few little bumps on a plastic injection molded part than to leave them off. I guess if a blind person was in the car's back seat behind the driver they could use a drive-up ATM from inside a car, too.
Sure there are a few. Given the number of people around you can undoubtedly find someone somewhere to make an exception to any rule of law written. That doesn't mean we must legislate laws around it and implement fines for non-compliance as well as develop a whole way of speaking and acting to avoid hurt feelings.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
I was kidding folks.

Chas.

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Charles,

First off, a big thanks to all you've done during this session, and previous ones! I really appreciate it and can't wait to read your dissertations.

I'd like to know which House and Senate representatives were the most supportive overall of passing HB910.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Yep required by the Americans with Disabilities Act
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

AJSully421 wrote:
Nice. Under the guise of the ADA... force any place that wishes to opt for 30.06 to have an audio recording playing of the exact text of 30.06, both in understandable english and spanish, to be repeated in a constant loop so that both warnings are read in 30 seconds each at a decibel rating at least 20 db above the average ambient noise level of that location as measured by a state certified & calibrated DB measuring device placed at the location for 365 consecutive days to obtain that average. Require it to be a solid state, weatherproof device that has a 96 hour battery backup in case of a power failure. Without this device in proper operation, any sign is null and void.

Also, make it so that any location that posts 30.06 or 30.07 is not allowed to have a door.
Do you work for the government??? :smilelol5: "rlol"
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

hovercat

Post by hovercat »

Side note, The book Kidnapped has a blind character, with a concealed pistol. Was a robber and known as a good shot.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 16

Post by ScooterSissy »

Vol Texan wrote:
RetNavy wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.

I suggest you all read this posting about a blind lady with a CHL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77580&p=981812
Truly amazing and impressive.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Glockster »

TrueFlog wrote:
fickman wrote: 2) I hope the big box and chain businesses will focus on 30.07 to avoid visible firearms in their establishment and choose to forego the 30.06 signs. They only have so much real estate at entrances and its a valuable marketing and branding location. How great would it be for them to turn it into an either/or decision instead of a both/and?
I expect that most big box stores will not be posting signage of any kind. Wal-mart has a company-wide policy of not banning guns at any of their stores - whatever local laws allow for, Wal-mart allows and does not add any additional restrictions. Keep in mind also that a few years ago, the Brady Campaign put alot of pressure on Starbucks to forbid open carry at their stores in Seattle. Starbucks stood firm and refused to give in. If a company based in a liberal town like Seattle stood up to the Bradys and refuse to outlaw open carry, I'm optimistic that other companies will be unlikely to prohibit open carry. And, of course, we haven't seen a rash of no-gun signs in other states (like Oklahoma), so I don't expect it to be an issue here.
Unless something has changed with Starbucks that I'm not aware of, I disagree with saying that they didn't give in. While they make it clear that they claim to not be anti gun or anti 2A, they have said that they do not want guns in any Starbucks:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... z/2829937/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"After months of wrangling over the highly emotional issue, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz on Wednesday announced that guns are no longer permitted in Starbucks stores — or in Starbucks outdoor seating areas."
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”