sb11/hb910 filibusters

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

sb11/hb910 filibusters

Post by canvasbck »

I figured this topic deserves it's own thread. The other threads are getting long and this topic can generate plenty of speculation on its own.

So, I'll start the speculation. IMO, a filibuster on two different bills would be a pretty tall task for dems, especially if HB910 hits the Senate tonight or even early in the session tomorrow. I sincerely believe that they will do what they can to kill both measures, but will face the political reality that they can only kill one of them.

SB11 is unfortunately the more vulnerable since it may not reach a vote until Sunday. Even if they hit the Senate floor at the same time, if Dems had to choose one of them to kill, it would be SB11 because "OMG drunk teenagers will be shooting up the dorms!"
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: sb11/hb910 filibusters

Post by v7a »

Like you say HB910 will come up either tonight or early tomorrow - so there won't be a filibuster.

I'm rather optimistic about SB11. If the House appoints their conferees before noon today, the conference committee should be able to wrap up before 4pm. So SB11 should be eligible for vote late on Saturday.

I agree that the Democrats will put up more of a fight against SB11 than HB910.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

canvasbck wrote:I figured this topic deserves it's own thread. The other threads are getting long and this topic can generate plenty of speculation on its own.

So, I'll start the speculation. IMO, a filibuster on two different bills would be a pretty tall task for dems, especially if HB910 hits the Senate tonight or even early in the session tomorrow. I sincerely believe that they will do what they can to kill both measures, but will face the political reality that they can only kill one of them.

SB11 is unfortunately the more vulnerable since it may not reach a vote until Sunday. Even if they hit the Senate floor at the same time, if Dems had to choose one of them to kill, it would be SB11 because "OMG drunk teenagers will be shooting up the dorms!"
"rlol"
I got tweeted last evening that i could "quit lobbying, it's all done but the signing, there's plenty of time" by what seemed to be a fairly impartial reporter who was very familiar with covering Texas legislature, ... I just replied that that was what David Dewhurst thought last session.

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CrimsonSoul »

What are the chances that hb910 will actually be heard late tonight or early tomorrow in the house and Senate?
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

CrimsonSoul wrote:What are the chances that hb910 will actually be heard late tonight or early tomorrow in the house and Senate?
IMO, if it's not, it would be because the leadership of that chamber is letting it die.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

jmra

Post by jmra »

canvasbck wrote:
CrimsonSoul wrote:What are the chances that hb910 will actually be heard late tonight or early tomorrow in the house and Senate?
IMO, if it's not, it would be because the leadership of that chamber is letting it die.
Done deal. On its way to Governors desk.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

jmra wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
HB 910 opencarry is done, to gov who said in a tweet minutes ago he will sign it
----
SB11 Protecting yourself inside a campus building as well as outside of one,... not done yet

jmra

Post by jmra »

NotRPB wrote:
jmra wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
HB 910 opencarry is done, to gov who said in a tweet minutes ago he will sign it
----
SB11 Protecting yourself inside a campus building as well as outside of one,... not done yet
True, SB 11 is not done yet - my post was in direct response to a question about HB 910.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

https://twitter.com/christensen2023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seth W. Christensen
@christensen2023

Attorney. Policy Advisor to TX Governor @GregAbbott_TX -
@christensen2023 3 minutes ago

.@GregAbbott_TX - I’m ready to send the #OpenCarry Bill your way! #txgov #txlege #tcot

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”