So what's the new signage going to be?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Re: So what's the new signage going to be?

Post by rotor »

C-dub wrote:
rotor wrote:
jmra wrote:
rotor wrote:So, correct me if I am wrong

on Jan 1, 2016 New 30.06 sign will be needed , one in English and one in Spanish at a single location at a main entrance, 1" block letters, etc.

A 30.07 sign, exact wording, etc. at each entrance.

Possible any combination of above although I doubt they would post a 30.06 but not a 30.07. Stores are going to need a lot of sign space to post all of these things.
Where did "single location at a main entrance" come from? I haven't seen that wording. 30.06 does not require separate signs with one in Spanish and one in English. It does require the wording in both English and Spanish but typically that is all on one sign.
That's why I said correct me if I am wrong. 30.06 sign (one sign in English and Spanish combined) but only required at a single location at main entrance as far as I know. There is no requirement to post 30.06 at every entrance is there? With 30.07 there is. Yes?
The current or new 30.06 sign does not even have to be at an entrance. It only has to be "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."
I stand corrected. And it only has to be "a sign" for a 30.06. Whereas the 30.07 "is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property"

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Back when CHL first passed, there was no 30.06 codicil, and so even if some business owner were anti-gun, he would not have been read up on being able to keep people out with a 30.06 sign. But, 30.06 signs have been in existence for a LONG time now, and the one thing that has kept more of them from being posted is simply that if our guns are out of sight, they are out of the business-owner's mind.

However, things are more politically polarized than ever these days, and the debates over open carry did not occur in a vaccum....... including details such as 30.07 signage since it is part of the law that was passed, unlike with original CHL law and 30.06. I wonder what impact that is going to have on the posting of signage. Will people who are motivated to post 30.07 signs also go the extra trouble to post 30.06 if they haven't already? Will they do nothing until the first time someone carries openly into their business? Will they carry on as before and do nothing?

Inquiring minds want to know. I'm guessing that there will be an initial jump in the rate at which sign postings get reported on texas3006.com (has Russell already claimed texas3007.com?), after which things will calm down. The reason I think this is that the sign postings will likely be in response to new open carriers who are doing it for the novelty of it, and that when the novelty wears off and they decide to prefer (not "eliminate", I mean prefer) CC over OC, they will OC less frequently, resulting in less frequent postings.

However, the "damage" will have been done as, once the signs have been posted, they are not likely to be taken down ever again. So the question that interests me is to what extent business owners will react this way.
I wondered the same thing back when 30.07 was originally discussed. If you already have to pollute the front of your store with a 30.07 sign, is it not common sense to balance it out with a brand new 30.06? I also see this as a novelty and the controversial topic du jour on media for both antis and pro 2A's. The liberal friends I know have grown to accept, even acknowledge the effectiveness of concealed carry, yet loathe the idea of open carry. To change their minds, two things need to happen. First, the whole novelty of open carry needs to wear off. Second, we need to prove wrong the misconception that all open carriers will act like Kory Watkins, criminals (my favorite is the scenario, where an open carrying bank robber stands patiently in line before committing his crime!), or Wyatt Earp. Both of these will take time. Unfortunately, most businesses that post 30.07 signs will likely leave them up.

We can hope that business owners decide to post only 30.07 either out of respect or ignorance of 30.06, but I suspect we will see lots of both signs. While we can choose to take our business elsewhere, our absence does not make a major impact, so the signs are likely to stay.

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

It just crossed my mind that some places have the 3006 text etched into the glass. They're going to be ticked off at having to replace it because of a couple of changed words.
-Ruark

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Post by jmra »

Ruark wrote:It just crossed my mind that some places have the 3006 text etched into the glass. They're going to be ticked off at having to replace it because of a couple of changed words.
I just hope people (even some members of this forum) don't call them up and tell them their sign is wrong. :banghead:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jmra wrote:
Ruark wrote:It just crossed my mind that some places have the 3006 text etched into the glass. They're going to be ticked off at having to replace it because of a couple of changed words.
I just hope people (even some members of this forum) don't call them up and tell them their sign is wrong. :banghead:
No kidding. No gloating and telling them their sign is no longer compliant.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txyaloo »

The new signage requirements are already getting attention from the "opposition". They are taking screenshots of the forum and putting them on twitter noting people are gloating. Be careful what you say.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I start a new job on Monday where they have 30.06 signs on every entrance I've seen so far. I'll have to pay attention and see if they add 30.07 signs and update the 30.06 signs.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

What's the new signage going to be? Big, ugly X 2! :smilelol5: :rolll "rlol"

Seriously, I must admit I never thought I'd see the day when the Legislature would pass a requirement for two signs. I am thrilled to have been wrong. Even the OCT bills that never got a hearing intentionally gutted TPC §30.06, but a lot of work by Alice and Tara pulled it off. Good work ladies.

Chas.

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasGal »

I am just hoping everyone who is super eager to carry openly exercise a little sensitivity or we may well see a lot of new signage. Too many people have been led by the media to think we are all the same as OCT and the like. It was videos of those wanna be's that were put on the screen just about every time open carry was covered. Let's try our best to "look" and behave a lot better than that to people who seriously may feel afraid or offended at first. Heck, I already have a friend asking me where he can get 30.07 signs for his business. He has a CHL and is not opposed to the open carry law but he is opposed to having to deal with his customer's views on it.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:What's the new signage going to be? Big, ugly X 2! :smilelol5: :rolll "rlol"

Seriously, I must admit I never thought I'd see the day when the Legislature would pass a requirement for two signs. I am thrilled to have been wrong. Even the OCT bills that never got a hearing intentionally gutted TPC §30.06, but a lot of work by Alice and Tara pulled it off. Good work ladies.

Chas.
:iagree:
Thank you TSRA and NRA!
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

TexasGal wrote:I am just hoping everyone who is super eager to carry openly exercise a little sensitivity or we may well see a lot of new signage. Too many people have been led by the media to think we are all the same as OCT and the like. It was videos of those wanna be's that were put on the screen just about every time open carry was covered. Let's try our best to "look" and behave a lot better than that to people who seriously may feel afraid or offended at first. Heck, I already have a friend asking me where he can get 30.07 signs for his business. He has a CHL and is not opposed to the open carry law but he is opposed to having to deal with his customer's views on it.
:iagree:
One thing that people must remember though is the only OC people have been exposed to thus far is the OCT idiots carrying AR15s. IMHO, OC of handguns will not be nearly as alarming or as in your face as long gun OC. In fact, done correctly most people should not even notice handgun OC. This is one of the reasons that on the rare occasions that I do OC I will avoid the temptation to carry pearl gripped shinny 1911s with fancy leather and instead will carry a rig that draws as little attention as possible. I'll save the fancy getup for BBQs.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

TexasGal wrote:I am just hoping everyone who is super eager to carry openly exercise a little sensitivity or we may well see a lot of new signage. Too many people have been led by the media to think we are all the same as OCT and the like. It was videos of those wanna be's that were put on the screen just about every time open carry was covered. Let's try our best to "look" and behave a lot better than that to people who seriously may feel afraid or offended at first. Heck, I already have a friend asking me where he can get 30.07 signs for his business. He has a CHL and is not opposed to the open carry law but he is opposed to having to deal with his customer's views on it.
Rather than be in a panic mode your friend should wait and see if his customers actually say anything about somebody open carrying. Saying that he has a CHL and is not opposed to the OC law and he is looking for a 30.07 sign is a bit hypocritical. I hope he realizes that the sign will also offend the CC crowd and cost him business as well..... Although I doubt that I will ever OC, I will not support any business that posts 30.07 signs the same way as I do 30.06, to me they both want to ban firearms and the people who carry them legally........

His business his choice, my money my choice!!!!!
Salty1

jmra

Post by jmra »

Salty1 wrote:
Rather than be in a panic mode your friend should wait and see if his customers actually say anything about somebody open carrying. Saying that he has a CHL and is not opposed to the OC law and he is looking for a 30.07 sign is a bit hypocritical. I hope he realizes that the sign will also offend the CC crowd and cost him business as well..... Although I doubt that I will ever OC, I will not support any business that posts 30.07 signs the same way as I do 30.06, to me they both want to ban firearms and the people who carry them legally........

His business his choice, my money my choice!!!!!
I would not withhold my patronage over a 30.07 sign like I would a 30.06 sign. A 30.06 sign restricts my ability to defend myself - a 30.07 sign does not. I doubt a 30.07 sign would have much if any negative financial impact.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

casp625

Post by casp625 »

So... If I am wearing OWB with a really thin shirt and come across a 30.07 sign, will pulling my shirt over and having extreme printing be considered OC or CC? Technically, that could be considered partially visible/wholly visible since anyone would be able to tell there is a holster handgun underneath the shirt. I guess an owner could always just verbally tell me to leave otherwise.

jmra

Post by jmra »

casp625 wrote:So... If I am wearing OWB with a really thin shirt and come across a 30.07 sign, will pulling my shirt over and having extreme printing be considered OC or CC? Technically, that could be considered partially visible/wholly visible since anyone would be able to tell there is a holster handgun underneath the shirt. I guess an owner could always just verbally tell me to leave otherwise.
It would be concealed carry. There is no "printing" law.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”