OC & campus carry penalties under 30.06

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cprems
Posts in topic: 3

OC & campus carry penalties under 30.06

Post by cprems »

So when does the Class C misdemeanor kick in? Where is it applicable?

What does it mean to the current 30.06 and these new bills (if campus carry passes)?

If I understand correctly, the campus carry is a class A IF carried in an area deemed off limits but notice has to be given. And a felony in other situations. Will there be a list of areas off limits?

I'm confused. Anyone shed some light on the new bills?
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: OC & campus carry penalties under 30.06

Post by jmra »

Looks to me like any place other than a campus violating a 30.06 sign is a class C with a max $200 fine unless you are told personally to leave and refuse then it is a class A.
On campus off limit areas would be posted with 30.06 signs. Walking past the sign is a class A in some cases and a felony in others...I think.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
cprems

Post by cprems »

jmra wrote:Looks to me like any place other than a campus violating a 30.06 sign is a class C with a max $200 fine unless you are told personally to leave and refuse then it is a class A.
On campus off limit areas would be posted with 30.06 signs. Walking past the sign is a class A in some cases and a felony in others...I think.
JMRA,

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing but really needed clarification on this.

So currently, we can still be on campus in public places but not buildings, correct. When the law changes (both in time and areas restricted) we will be able to carry into unrestricted buildings etc. All these new time frames make it hard to fathom out.

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

cprems wrote:
jmra wrote:Looks to me like any place other than a campus violating a 30.06 sign is a class C with a max $200 fine unless you are told personally to leave and refuse then it is a class A.
JMRA,

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing but really needed clarification on this.

So currently, we can still be on campus in public places but not buildings, correct. When the law changes (both in time and areas restricted) we will be able to carry into unrestricted buildings etc. All these new time frames make it hard to fathom out.
Yes. Of course it will interesting to see how administration implements the rules. Hopefully they hold to the intent of the legislature.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

poppo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by poppo »

jmra wrote:Looks to me like any place other than a campus violating a 30.06 sign is a class C with a max $200 fine unless you are told personally to leave and refuse then it is a class A
I've seen this $200 fine mentioned several times. Is that limit specifically stated in the bill, because I thought a class C had a $500 max fine.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

poppo wrote:I've seen this $200 fine mentioned several times. Is that limit specifically stated in the bill, because I thought a class C had a $500 max fine.
Yes, it's in the bill:
An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

cprems wrote:So when does the Class C misdemeanor kick in? Where is it applicable?

What does it mean to the current 30.06 and these new bills (if campus carry passes)?

If I understand correctly, the campus carry is a class A IF carried in an area deemed off limits but notice has to be given. And a felony in other situations. Will there be a list of areas off limits?

I'm confused. Anyone shed some light on the new bills?
If you have a CHL, it will be a Class A misdemeanor to carry past an enforceable 30.06 sign on a college campus. Everywhere else on campus, concealed carry will be legal.

cowhow
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cowhow »

As I read this thread a question came to mind and could someone clarify this for me. Either inadvertently or intentionally I walk past a 30.06 sign. Someone "in authority" determines I am armed (concealed). What then? Do I meekly stand there waiting on an officer to come write me up, or do I have opportunity to exit the premises...no harm, no foul? Excuse me for :deadhorse: It's just something that's never crossed my mind until now. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Topic author
cprems

Post by cprems »

An interesting question. I would presume that if it's posted and well posted, an intentional violation isn't going to be a class C. I would never suggest ignoring the law.

I believe that this is correct. Hopefully someone can put this to rest.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

cowhow wrote:As I read this thread a question came to mind and could someone clarify this for me. Either inadvertently or intentionally I walk past a 30.06 sign. Someone "in authority" determines I am armed (concealed). What then? Do I meekly stand there waiting on an officer to come write me up, or do I have opportunity to exit the premises...no harm, no foul? Excuse me for... It's just something that's never crossed my mind until now. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.
IANAL, but do you pull off to the side of the road every time you are violating the speed limit? How about flag down an officer for jay-walking? Most importantly, the law states that it is a Class A if you are given oral notice and failed to depart. So by sticking around, it seems your simple Class C just got you a year in jail.
cprems wrote:An interesting question. I would presume that if it's posted and well posted, an intentional violation isn't going to be a class C. I would never suggest ignoring the law.
I believe that this is correct. Hopefully someone can put this to rest.
Sure:
(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor
punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is
a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense
that, after entering the property, the license holder was
personally given the notice by oral communication described by
Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.
The law doesn't specify whether you intentionally or accidently walked past a valid sign. It is only when you are given oral notice and failed to depart that can be charged with a Class A.

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

casp625 wrote: Most importantly, the law states that it is a Class A if you are given oral notice and failed to depart. So by sticking around, it seems your simple Class C just got you a year in jail.
That's the meat of my question...and to also be clear I am not advocating breaking the law either. But, if I find myself beyond an enforceable 30.06 sign I am not necessarily at that point being handed a Class C and $200 fine. As I understand that portion of the bill it's only after oral notice is given that I either depart or suffer the consequences, Class A, loss of CHL, jail time, etc. Am I understanding correctly?

casp625

Post by casp625 »

cowhow wrote:
casp625 wrote: Most importantly, the law states that it is a Class A if you are given oral notice and failed to depart. So by sticking around, it seems your simple Class C just got you a year in jail.
That's the meat of my question...and to also be clear I am not advocating breaking the law either. But, if I find myself beyond an enforceable 30.06 sign I am not necessarily at that point being handed a Class C and $200 fine. As I understand that portion of the bill it's only after oral notice is given that I either depart or suffer the consequences, Class A, loss of CHL, jail time, etc. Am I understanding correctly?
Most people won't even know you are carrying. Here would be a more realistic scenario: You walk into an establishment that is 30.06 posted. For whatever reason, your shirt rides up and the employee sees you are carrying. If they call the cops and you are confronted, LEO can write you up to a $200 ticket for violating 30.06 (assuming it's Jan 1, 2016 or later). If you refuse to leave the premises, then you are going to get charged with a Class A.
Since most won't even notice you are carrying, you will probably be on your way without any encounter.

CJD

Post by CJD »

casp625 wrote:
cowhow wrote:
Most people won't even know you are carrying. Here would be a more realistic scenario: You walk into an establishment that is 30.06 posted. For whatever reason, your shirt rides up and the employee sees you are carrying. If they call the cops and you are confronted, LEO can write you up to a $200 ticket for violating 30.06 (assuming it's Jan 1, 2016 or later). If you refuse to leave the premises, then you are going to get charged with a Class A.
Since most won't even notice you are carrying, you will probably be on your way without any encounter.
If they had 30.07 posted also in this scenario, could you get charged with both?

bigity

Post by bigity »

I went into the Post Office the other day carrying :/ First time I've screwed up. Nobody noticed how white I had turned when I walked out of the line though :)

Luckily I very rarely ever have to go into one.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Local, county, and state police probably would not be patrolling the post office. Thankfully.
They may not even be interested in calling a Fed to come get you.

Seems there is more worry about post offices on the forums than real life warrants.
You may have the last word.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”