2015 Session - What Was Sent to the Governor?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gljjt
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gljjt »

First, thanks to Chas., the TSRA, the NRA and our Representatives and Senators who drove these important measures through. Thanks!

I thought it was a successful session, difficult measures passed and very well positioned for great refinement in 2017. So, what did we get? I see the biggies as:

* Campus Carry - not as comprehensive as we would wish, but appears well positioned for great improvement in 2017.

* Licensed Open Carry - I was hopeful but really thought this was dead due to crazy antics of some overzealous activists. More important to me is the reduction in the offense for inadvertantly passing a 30.06 sign. Although I don't plan to OC for my regular carry, I am pleased this passed.

* Governmental accountability for posting unenforceable 30.06 signs.

*What else?

The biggie we didn't get is expanded CC locations. With CC and OC now on the books, perhaps the location issues can be reduced and CC/OC statutes tweaked in 2017. Seems to me 2017 may be able to be more narrowly focussed. I really believe we lost political capital because of OC over-activism. If they can tone it down, 2017 can be fantastic!

Thoughts???
Last edited by gljjt on Sun May 31, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
gljjt

Re: 2015 Session - What Was Sent to He Governor?

Post by gljjt »

***Topic Typo Fixed***

Topic should say:

Last edited by gljjt on Sun May 31, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

gljjt wrote:Topic should say:

You can edit the title.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

jmra wrote:

You can edit the title.
I guess I'm slow... I don't see how.

jmra

Post by jmra »

gljjt wrote:
jmra wrote:

You can edit the title.
Go to your original post and hit edit. Move cursor to the title line and change it.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

jmra wrote:
gljjt wrote:
jmra wrote:

You can edit the title.
Go to your original post and hit edit. Move cursor to the title line and change it.
Thanks. I never associated the edit capability of the title with the first post. Duh.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2015 Session - What Was Sent to the Governor?

Post by joe817 »

HB905 - The knife preemption passed. That was an important bill. Now I can go to San Antonio, or Dallas, or Houston, or any of a number of Texas cities without worrying that my EDC knife would get me arrested.

I pretty much agree with everything else you posted gljjt. Time to let what victories we saw this legislative session mature a little bit then come back in 2017 and get the refinements those bills deserve. :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

joe817 wrote:HB905 - The knife preemption passed. That was an important bill. Now I can go to San Antonio, or Dallas, or Houston, or any of a number of Texas cities without worrying that my EDC knife would get me arrested.

I pretty much agree with everything else you posted gljjt. Time to let what victories we saw this legislative session mature a little bit then come back in 2017 and get the refinements those bills deserve. :txflag:
Thanks, I forgot about that one. My wife and did the riverwalk thing last month for our anniversary and I had to leave my knife in the hotel room, but could carry a handgun. Go figure.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Here are the ones I've been keeping track of:

Signed by Governor:

SB473 - Makes the lack of NFA registration or designation as a "curio" an element of the crime, rather than a defense to prosecution. You can currently be tried for owning a suppressor, and you must present proof of NFA registration in court as a defense.

Sent to Governor (or soon to be sent to governor):

SB273 - This bill seeks to provide a civil penalty for municipalities that post un-enforceable 30.06 signs. 30.06 signs posted on state or local government property are un-enforceable unless already an otherwise prohibited place.

HB554 - Creates a defense to prosecution and a prohibition on arrest if a CHL inadvertently carries a handgun into the security area of an airport. Police cannot arrest a person unless they advise them of their ability to leave the security area and the CHL fails to do so. (Please still don't do this, you still face fines from the TSA.)

HB905 - Preempts local knife laws in Texas, removing the patchwork of local knife ordinances across the state.

HB910 - Licensed open carry. Texas will have licensed open carry on Jan 1, 2016, being the 46th state to adopt open carry legislation.

SB11 - Campus carry bill
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

mr1337 wrote:Here are the ones I've been keeping track of:

Signed by Governor:

SB473 - Makes the lack of NFA registration or designation as a "curio" an element of the crime, rather than a defense to prosecution. You can currently be tried for owning a suppressor, and you must present proof of NFA registration in court as a defense.

SB273 - This bill seeks to provide a civil penalty for municipalities that post un-enforceable 30.06 signs. 30.06 signs posted on state or local government property are un-enforceable unless already an otherwise prohibited place.

HB554 - Creates a defense to prosecution and a prohibition on arrest if a CHL inadvertently carries a handgun into the security area of an airport. Police cannot arrest a person unless they advise them of their ability to leave the security area and the CHL fails to do so. (Please still don't do this, you still face fines from the TSA.)

HB905 - Preempts local knife laws in Texas, removing the patchwork of local knife ordinances across the state.

HB910 - Licensed open carry. Texas will have licensed open carry on Jan 1, 2016, being the 46th state to adopt open carry legislation.

SB11 - Campus carry bill
S473 as written says knuckles are unlawful. I think they left off brass before knuckles. Otherwise we all have to have surgery before September!

Topic author
gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Signed by Governor:

SB11 - Campus carry bill
Thanks, this is helpful. I think it was a successful session. Good results and good foundation to begin the 2017 session.

jmra

Post by jmra »

gljjt wrote:

Signed by Governor:

SB11 - Campus carry bill
S473 as written says knuckles are unlawful. I think they left off brass before knuckles. Otherwise we all have to have surgery before September!
Done by the Dems...their knuckles are worn down from dragging them on the ground so they want everyone else to be knuckle less too. :mrgreen:
Of course Dems have an extra set of knuckles on their heads.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Treetop
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Treetop »

Thanks gljjt, for this new legislation summary in regular layman's language!

I have a question pertaining to SB 273:

I can only think of two "otherwise prohibited places":

1) State or local government buildings that house a jail,
and
2) State or local government buildings that house courts of law.

Are there any others? Thanks, Treetop
Life Member NRA
PSC member 1984-2015
Texas CHL holder since 1998
Sgt. USMC 1968-1971

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Where does NFA CLEO must sign stand??
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

FL450 wrote:Where does NFA CLEO must sign stand??
Did not pass. It died because of infighting between the House and Senate on a totally unrelated issue/item.

Chas.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”