So what's the deal with knives now?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So what's the deal with knives now?

Post by txyaloo »

CleverNickname wrote:
Roger Howard wrote:I have read the sections on illegal knife and on Switchblade knives. I do not see where it iis illegal to carry a switchblade knife as long as the blade is under 5 1\2 inches.

Am I reading this correctly that I can carry my loved Gerber 06 tactical knife?
Technically it would be classified as a switchblade.
Since Sep 1 2013, there has been no restriction on how a knife opens, just on the blade length/style.
Just to point out, they're still illegal Federally so you can be arrested for possessing/carrying one if you are stopped by federal LE.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

txyaloo wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
Roger Howard wrote:I have read the sections on illegal knife and on Switchblade knives. I do not see where it iis illegal to carry a switchblade knife as long as the blade is under 5 1\2 inches.

Am I reading this correctly that I can carry my loved Gerber 06 tactical knife?
Technically it would be classified as a switchblade.
Since Sep 1 2013, there has been no restriction on how a knife opens, just on the blade length/style.
Just to point out, they're still illegal Federally so you can be arrested for possessing/carrying one if you are stopped by federal LE.
You're incorrect. The Federal Switchblade Act of 1958 (15 USC 29) regulates manufacture, sale, and possession of switchblades, but the regulation of possession is only applicable to US territories and certain Indian reservations. It does not regulate switchblade possession in the 50 states or Washington DC. Read this for a more lengthy description: http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/federal-switchblade-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18 USC 930 also regulates carrying weapons in certain federal facilities, but even then it doesn't single out switchblades. In fact, doesn't even mention them. It also specifically exempts knives with blades under 2.5".

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The one thing that irks me about Texas knife laws is that word "bowie", with a lowercase b. That means anything that is like a Bowie knife, or can be construed as being like a Bowie knife, uppercase B. Its why I won't carry my Baby K-Bar, even though it passes all the other criteria, including length. I just wish they'd capitalize that b and then it would narrow the definition to actual Bowie knives, which are like a small sword.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”