Police, lawyers decry 'unknowns' of open carry law

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

denwego
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Police, lawyers decry 'unknowns' of open carry law

Post by denwego »

Jumping Frog wrote:I will open carry regularly in Houston.

I used to open carry regularly before moving to Texas. Never had any problems. Don't expect them here either.
My verbatim response!

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E.Marquez »

Every time I read one of these stories or a post that mentioned them I keep thinking.. What changed?
On the last day of one month the safest, most law abiding demographic in Texas have a legally obtained carried on the inside of a lightweight summer shirt. the next day, that shirt will be tucked in.. SAME most law abiding demographic in Texas.. same gun, heck for me it will be the same holster as I mostly carry OWB now.

How does shirt tucked in vs not tucked in change the danger to police? to the average Texan?
(Yes I know, it does not, and most here understand that...)
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

E.Marquez wrote:Every time I read one of these stories or a post that mentioned them I keep thinking.. What changed?
On the last day of one month the safest, most law abiding demographic in Texas have a legally obtained carried on the inside of a lightweight summer shirt. the next day, that shirt will be tucked in.. SAME most law abiding demographic in Texas.. same gun, heck for me it will be the same holster as I mostly carry OWB now.

How does shirt tucked in vs not tucked in change the danger to police? to the average Texan?
Maybe it's more of a "what people don't know won't hurt them" mentality.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

E.Marquez wrote:Every time I read one of these stories or a post that mentioned them I keep thinking.. What changed?

Good point.

Here I am carrying three different ways. Which one creates the most danger to the public?

By the way, the left picture where my shirt is bloused over the handgun was my favorite way of carrying. Still discreet, but WAY WAY WAY faster to draw compared to having to rip the tucked-in shirttail out of the way on the fully concealed right picture.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:

Good point.

Here I am carrying three different ways. Which one creates the most danger to the public?

[ Image ]

By the way, the left picture where my shirt is bloused over the handgun was my favorite way of carrying. Still discreet, but WAY WAY WAY faster to draw compared to having to rip the tucked-in shirttail out of the way on the fully concealed right picture.
I think most people would be totally oblivious to either one of the "OC" methods displayed in the photo. If I were to chose to OC it would look something like that. I hope people don't use OC as a tool to draw attention to themselves. Doing so can not help the cause.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Exactly!! I do not expect to OC (I have learned, never say never). I personally think that anyone OC'n will make themselves more of a target for the bad guy than the guy CC'n. However, I think that percentage will almost be negligible.
Looking at the link provided by the OP, it states that "Texas is not Oklahoma". I think the more accurate statement in belief, unfortunately, would be "Austin is not Texas".
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I'm kind of jealous of OK. All their countries voted red

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... county.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

What I find fascinating is that in New Hampshire, they have been having the exact opposite debate. In the past in NH, you could openly carry a handgun but needed a license to conceal it. One of my managers (while I was still working) carried a handgun while he was hunting and decided to get a CCW so that he wasn't illegal if his coat accidentally covered it.

Some of the PDs there have said that things will be more dangerous because of CC. Some of the chiefs apparently would prefer citizens have their guns visible. I do understand that this discussion involves unlicensed CC where Texas is about licensed OC. But is certainly ironic that Texas chiefs are on a different side of the same coin than the chiefs in NH.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/new ... id/635823/

Of course, Vermont next door has had the same laws for a long time that NH was trying to pass. Somehow, people become more dangerous when they cross that State line. :evil2:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

chasfm11 wrote:What I find fascinating is that in New Hampshire, they have been having the exact opposite debate. In the past in NH, you could openly carry a handgun but needed a license to conceal it. One of my managers (while I was still working) carried a handgun while he was hunting and decided to get a CCW so that he wasn't illegal if his coat accidentally covered it.

Some of the PDs there have said that things will be more dangerous because of CC. Some of the chiefs apparently would prefer citizens have their guns visible. I do understand that this discussion involves unlicensed CC where Texas is about licensed OC. But is certainly ironic that Texas chiefs are on a different side of the same coin than the chiefs in NH.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/new ... id/635823/

Of course, Vermont next door has had the same laws for a long time that NH was trying to pass. Somehow, people become more dangerous when they cross that State line. :evil2:
:iagree:

That's me when I lived in Virginia. Open carried all the time until there were a few incidents in the news about accidental CC and police problems, so got my CHPS to ensure that I was covered anyway I chose to carry. Here it will be sort of the same, but will likely carry CC nearly all the time, but won't worry if my shirt comes up.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

big454

Post by big454 »

One point I would like to bring up relating to law enforcements' worry of open carry.If that was the case why is a Texas commissioned security officer required to have his weapon in plain view? Why doesn't that scare them? Both chl holders and security go through the same background checks.
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Badges and uniforms take all the threat out of it...

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

cb1000rider wrote:Badges, I assume...
And uniforms... Those nice black military style duds make it easier to know who the good guys are.

juno106

Do you really expect any different in TX?

Post by juno106 »

I think this is "old news" (June 1, 2015), but bears repeating:
According to the court documents, the legality of open carry in the state was never in question, only if law enforcement had the authority to detain an individual simply because they were open carrying a firearm.

U.S. District Judge Janet Neff determined that yes, officers do have that authority.

Federal court says police can stop open carriers

Love the photo of the law abiding OC'er down on the ground, eating concrete, apparently handcuffed, and apparently having LEO pointing a pistol at him.

You can read the entire decision here

Anyone wanna bet on how Art in Austin is reacting to this Federal court decision?

cb1000rider

Re: Do you really expect any different in TX?

Post by cb1000rider »

AGain, I read that as they can detain, but only after a valid MWAG call is made. That's different (in my head) than declaring open season.
Austin may very well declare open season.

Honestly, I'm a big enough coward or financial conservative (take your pick) to do nothing come January and let this all get sorted out in the courts.....

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”