Gov. Abbott on constitutional carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gov. Abbott on constitutional carry

Post by mr1337 »

anygunanywhere wrote:Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
Sure, with that attitude it is.

But I agree that decreasing the number of off-limits locations to CHLs is likely the next step before we go to Unlicensed OC.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Salty1 »

AS long as CJ and Kory keep up their antics I would agree that unlicensed OC is a dream. They are both toxic and I doubt that many elected officials are going to vote for unlicensed OC and be viewed as supporting them.....
Salty1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Excaliber wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Wait few years and the law would be "enhanced" once people realize that CC and OC is a none issue, things would advance. The only thing that I do not like and I am against is convicted felons and gang members would carry with no penalty or at least no questions asked. I know that they do now. They will open carry if they want to and if they do carry concealed and they were pulled over how the LEO can decide if they are felons with firearms?
Trust me when I say that an experienced LEO can tell the difference between a CHL holder and a felon most of the time just from body language and the look in the person's eyes when he spots the officer. There are also many reasons to stop someone other than for open carry and bad guys tend to be pretty sloppy about not crossing lines. LEO's figure those things out pretty successfully today, and open carry won't diminish their ability to do so.
:iagree: Experience matters whether you are shooting a Cat III approach or identifying bad guys on the street.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

People seem to not realize gang members and biker outlaws advertise their affiliations openly by their clothing, tats and actions. Cops are familiar with these indicators. If they see someone advertising their outlaw membership while openly carrying, that should warrant contact. Once contract is made, the cop can then better assess the situation.

Besides if they are carrying already, how is a piece of cloth covering the gun going to protect us?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mr1337 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
Sure, with that attitude it is.

But I agree that decreasing the number of off-limits locations to CHLs is likely the next step before we go to Unlicensed OC.
That is not my attitude, that is fact. Does anyone actually think that the antics leading up to this last session will be forgotten by our legiscritters?

Does anyone actually think that the idjits that pretty near torpedoed open carry will stop and let things develop sensibly? I heard CJ on KTRH this morning while driving to pick up my grandson.

Yes, unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.

I doubt there is anyoneanywhere (heh heh) who wanted OC more than me. I am really happy we are where we are, but no doubt some people are going to screw it up, sure as shootin'.

I have pretty much kept my mouth shut on the OC debate for awhile now, and I have my own plan on how I will respectfully deal with the ramifications of carrying openly. I am not out to make any headlines. I just want to mind my own bidness and do my thing.

That said the thing that pretty much drives me nutso is that we can't carry where LEO can. This is the priority.

Thanks!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Reducing prohibited places for CHL is the most important next step. Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
Yes please.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TXBO »

anygunanywhere wrote:
TXBO wrote:Unlicensed OC and licensed CC is a good next step. Criminals just don't open carry or use holsters.
Reducing prohibited places for CHL is the most important next step. Unlicensed OC is a pipe dream.
I don't agree. People that get a threat to their life need a way to legally carry without waiting 30 to 60 days to obtain a license. I wish everybody was proactive with self defense training and a CHL before they ever had a threat to their life but that's just not the case.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
TXBO wrote:Unlicensed OC and licensed CC is a good next step. Criminals just don't open carry or use holsters.
I don't agree. People that get a threat to their life need a way to legally carry without waiting 30 to 60 days to obtain a license. I wish everybody was proactive with self defense training and a CHL before they ever had a threat to their life but that's just not the case.
But after the 30 - 60 days are up and one has a CHL, they can carry a self-defense handgun, but not in off-limits areas so they are defenseless in those areas. That's why I feel that removing all off-limits areas is the most important step we can take for Texas gun owners.

If you mean we should push for unlicensed carry rather than eliminating off-limits areas, then I disagree. As long as OCT and Grisham are polluting the political atmosphere, it's not going to pass. Plus, even if it does, then the off-limits areas will not only still exist, it will be virtually impossible to even reduce their number, much less repeal them in total.

I do think we should repeal some of the current CHL eligibility requirements such as those dealing with deferred adjudications, non-violent offenses, child support and taxes. A person's life and the lives of their families should not be put at risk for such issues. This issue is also one that should be addressed after removing off-limits areas. It's not only a matter of priority, but also a matter of timing. Pushing for legislation out of sequence could result in a current victory that precludes future victories. Bills that would remove off-limits areas have been filed in the last two legislative sessions and they went nowhere. This is the case even though those bills would impact only CHL's with our outstanding track record. Imagine trying to remove off-limits areas after unlicensed-carry were to pass. It would never happen. The proper bill at the proper time is critical to continuing success.

Chas.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
But after the 30 - 60 days are up and one has a CHL, they can carry a self-defense handgun, but not in off-limits areas so they are defenseless in those areas. That's why I feel that removing all off-limits areas is the most important step we can take for Texas gun owners.

Chas.
:iagree:

Since we're on the subject, is there any chance of changes to 30.06? I'm really, really torn on the current model. I respect business and property rights, but I'm also frustrated as heck with every movie theater, gym and hotel with a sign maker posting...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Taypo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Chas.

Since we're on the subject, is there any chance of changes to 30.06? I'm really, really torn on the current model. I respect business and property rights, but I'm also frustrated as heck with every movie theater, gym and hotel with a sign maker posting...
There's no way to improve TPC §30.06 unless we were to prohibit businesses from using it on commercial property. That's what I have advocated, but it isn't going to happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. We also are highly unlikely to make it effective only if one refuses a demand to leave. We took a step in that direction with the reduction of the offense to a Class C misdemeanor for inadvertently entering posted property.

Chas.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

If you mean we should push for unlicensed carry rather than eliminating off-limits areas, then I disagree. As long as OCT and Grisham are polluting the political atmosphere, it's not going to pass. Plus, even if it does, then the off-limits areas will not only still exist, it will be virtually impossible to even reduce their number, much less repeal them in total.

I do think we should repeal some of the current CHL eligibility requirements such as those dealing with deferred adjudications, non-violent offenses, child support and taxes. A person's life and the lives of their families should not be put at risk for such issues. This issue is also one that should be addressed after removing off-limits areas. It's not only a matter of priority, but also a matter of timing. Pushing for legislation out of sequence could result in a current victory that precludes future victories. Bills that would remove off-limits areas have been filed in the last two legislative sessions and they went nowhere. This is the case even though those bills would impact only CHL's with our outstanding track record. Imagine trying to remove off-limits areas after unlicensed-carry were to pass. It would never happen. The proper bill at the proper time is critical to continuing success.

Chas.
Currently, IIRC, the Texas CHL community has a better criminal record than Texas LE. I wonder how much lightening up on the eligibility requirements would effect that?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Snip

I do think we should repeal some of the current CHL eligibility requirements such as those dealing with deferred adjudications, non-violent offenses, child support and taxes. A person's life and the lives of their families should not be put at risk for such issues.
Chas.

Agree, to an extent. I agree that once a person has successfully completed a DA, and was never officially convicted, then it should not DQ someone for 10 years. Maybe 1-2 after it is completely dismissed, but not 10. I see why they did the child support thing, but I agree it needs to go away... it has nothing to do with defending yourself outside the home.

Can't carry within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution...? What the crap is that...

Places we can't carry should be correctional facilities, courtrooms, and on commercial flights. Basically, if they don't have a metal detector right now, it should not be illegal to carry there... because if it does not have a metal detector, a criminal can carry there, so why not the good guys?
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

AJSully421 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Snip

I do think we should repeal some of the current CHL eligibility requirements such as those dealing with deferred adjudications, non-violent offenses, child support and taxes. A person's life and the lives of their families should not be put at risk for such issues.
Chas.

Agree, to an extent. I agree that once a person has successfully completed a DA, and was never officially convicted, then it should not DQ someone for 10 years. Maybe 1-2 after it is completely dismissed, but not 10. I see why they did the child support thing, but I agree it needs to go away... it has nothing to do with defending yourself outside the home.

Can't carry within 1,000 feet of a place of execution on the day of an execution...? What the crap is that...

Places we can't carry should be correctional facilities, courtrooms, and on commercial flights. Basically, if they don't have a metal detector right now, it should not be illegal to carry there... because if it does not have a metal detector, a criminal can carry there, so why not the good guys?
and I extend that to Federal. If a post office and its parking lot is a "sensitive Place" there should be a guard at every entrance. And why is 1000 feet within a school property sensitive to an out of state licensed holder but no an in state licensed holder? It just and arbitrary anit-gun Federal ruling.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Taypo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Chas.

There's no way to improve TPC §30.06 unless we were to prohibit businesses from using it on commercial property. That's what I have advocated, but it isn't going to happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. We also are highly unlikely to make it effective only if one refuses a demand to leave. We took a step in that direction with the reduction of the offense to a Class C misdemeanor for inadvertently entering posted property.

Chas.
I was arguing with a liberal over whether the Oregon baker having to cough up $135,000 (I think their donations exceeded that so they made bank) was violating the lesbian couples rights, and not simply causing them an inconvenience to find a different baker. Using that as an analogy, I asked him why should a state be able to force this (he used the following word, as opposed to "private") "public" business must sever them irregardless of the owner's 1st amendment religious freedoms, right of association, property rights? Why could this baker not have the right to inconvenience this couple but have the right to inconvenience CHL holders wanting to exercise their 2nd amendment right? His argument came down to "because gays are a "protected class." Yeah, I'd like to know why they (still) are. Seems to me you have to show the "class" is somehow being harmed. If not being able to marry is a harm it was the state governments doing it and not broad-based private (I mean public) businesses. Now if every baker in the town/state was refusing service to gays they have a valid argument that it's more than an inconvenience.

So I have mixed opinions on doing away with the 30.06s. While I'd like the ability of not having to be vigilant about violating a business owner's anti-gun policies and be able to carry in any dang business I want, I have to weigh that desire against the owner's rights (no matter how wrong headed I think he is). So I've had this question in the back of my mind: when does an excess of 30.06 signs become so numerous that the state steps in to protect its CHL holder's 2nd amendment right to self defense, and should they?

Maybe CHLers should petition for protected class status ;-)

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: There's no way to improve TPC §30.06 unless we were to prohibit businesses from using it on commercial property. That's what I have advocated, but it isn't going to happen, at least not in the foreseeable future. We also are highly unlikely to make it effective only if one refuses a demand to leave. We took a step in that direction with the reduction of the offense to a Class C misdemeanor for inadvertently entering posted property.

Chas.
I like the approach of making it a crime only if the individual is asked to leave and refuses. If we go that route, we can eliminate the 30.06 & 30.07 signage altogether along with the offense of "trespass by a license holder." This is the model used successfully by many other states. I agree that we are unlikely to achieve that all at once, but we can chip away at it like we did this session.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”