Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
juno106
Posts in topic: 3

Post by juno106 »

The Texas GOP has abandoned an effort to issue an official statement on the 84th legislative session, divided over a proposed resolution that initially would have accused individual lawmakers of standing in the way of gun rights legislation.

As proposed at the committee level, the resolution would have rebuked four Republican lawmakers...

The legislators named included House Speaker Joe Straus of San Antonio, Rep. Dennis Bonnen of Angleton, Rep. Larry Phillips of Sherman and Sen. Joan Huffman of Houston.

...Lawmakers "need to know they cannot do this and there is no consequence," said Bonnie Lugo, an SREC member from Senate District 13.

...There is a means of doing that which is called the next election."

Say what you want about Stickland, if the House were full of members like him instead of the RINOs, we would now have real campus carry (SB11 unamended) and perhaps constitutional carry, where we wouldn't be having silly arguments over the need for the Dutton/Huffines amendments and whether federal appellate cases from the 4th and 6th, but not the 5th, Circuit Court of Appeals apply the 4th Amendment to LEO with respect to OC.

:txflag:

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have no problems with Stickland's taking a stand on/for his principles, I do have a problem with how he did it. I admire his dedication and at the same time detest his methods. You don't act like a rear end to your peers and expect them to support you, nor do you associate with the likes of Watkins after his stunt in Nevarez's office. I truly doubt we will see any unlicensed carry bills gain traction in 2017, and I will promise that we won't if Stickland is out there championing them. You can still make a principled stand and show people your dedication to a cause without destroying your ability to get a job done. Stickland's actions make me think of a fencing champion that would cut his own strong hand off in protest of a sword being used to deal out punishment for theft in the middle east.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

juno106 wrote:Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP
The Texas GOP has abandoned an effort to issue an official statement on the 84th legislative session, divided over a proposed resolution that initially would have accused individual lawmakers of standing in the way of gun rights legislation.

As proposed at the committee level, the resolution would have rebuked four Republican lawmakers...

The legislators named included House Speaker Joe Straus of San Antonio, Rep. Dennis Bonnen of Angleton, Rep. Larry Phillips of Sherman and Sen. Joan Huffman of Houston.

...Lawmakers "need to know they cannot do this and there is no consequence," said Bonnie Lugo, an SREC member from Senate District 13.

Say what you want about Stickland, if the House were full of members like him instead of the RINOs, we would now have real campus carry (SB11 unamended) and perhaps constitutional carry, where we wouldn't be having silly arguments over the need for the Dutton/Huffines amendments and whether federal appellate cases from the 4th and 6th, but not the 5th, Circuit Court of Appeals apply the 4th Amendment to LEO with respect to OC.

Wow. I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

juno106 wrote: Say what you want about Stickland, if the House were full of members like him instead of the RINOs, we would now have real campus carry (SB11 unamended) and perhaps constitutional carry, where we wouldn't be having silly arguments over the need for the Dutton/Huffines amendments and whether federal appellate cases from the 4th and 6th, but not the 5th, Circuit Court of Appeals apply the 4th Amendment to LEO with respect to OC.
I disagree emphatically. From what I saw and read, Rep. Stickland was part of the problem, not the solution, and his actions made him an embarrassment to his constituents. Even my senator, Kirk Watson, was more effective than Rep. Stickland.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
juno106

Post by juno106 »

And I certainly respect your right to a different opinion.

I would also inquire if this was Stickland, or some others who are not the friends they claim to be of the 2A: Amend Floor Amendment No. 9

jmra wrote:Wow. I don't think I could possibly disagree with you more!

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

Does anyone know speicfically what those 4 representatives did or didn't do?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

MechAg94 wrote:Does anyone know specifically what those 4 representatives did or didn't do?
Some do, some don't, but many refuse to acknowledge that 1) unlicensed open-carry was DOA; 2) licensed open-carry passed because of NRA, TSRA, Chairman Phillips, and Speaker Straus and in spite of OCT, Grisham, Rep. Stickland and Sen. Huffines; 3) OCT, Rep. Stickland, Sen. Huffines were an unmitigated political/legislative disaster.

Note that the ill-advised resolution sought not only to condemn the people who got open-carry passed, it sought to praise to two biggest obstacles to passing HB910, i.e. Rep. Stickland and Sen. Huffines.

Although the resolution uses the broad term gun rights, it focuses solely on unlicensed open-carry. What complete garbage!

Chas.
Failed resolution wrote:Resolved, That the Republican Party of Texas hereby commends Representative James White,
Representative Jonathan Stickland, and Senator Don Huffines for their efforts to carry forward
the legislative priority of the Delegates of the 2014 State Convention of the Republican Party of
Texas;

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

juno106 wrote:Failed Attempt to Rebuke Lawmakers Riles Texas GOP

If the House were full of Sticklands, it would look like the Louisiana legislature. No thanks!! It's interesting that RINO used to mean "Republican in Name Only," but now it is used to mean "Didn't Vote Like I Wanted on One Issue." Organizations like OCT will always be powerless because this is precisely their approach.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Here's an interesting and insightful quote from the article:
  • "Referring to the original resolution, Texas GOP spokesman Aaron Whitehead said Saturday it was clear many members were uncomfortable with the 'SREC being used as a device for someone else's agenda, essentially.'"
Now, I wonder who could be trying to use the committee to promote their personal political aspirations? :headscratch

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Here's an interesting and insightful quote from the article:
  • "Referring to the original resolution, Texas GOP spokesman Aaron Whitehead said Saturday it was clear many members were uncomfortable with the 'SREC being used as a device for someone else's agenda, essentially.'"
Now, I wonder who could be trying to use the committee to promote their personal political aspirations? :headscratch

Chas.
I won't name him, but his initials are "Senator Huffines".

Hope that helps. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

G.A. Heath wrote:I have no problems with Stickland's taking a stand on/for his principles, I do have a problem with how he did it. I admire his dedication and at the same time detest his methods. You don't act like a rear end to your peers and expect them to support you, nor do you associate with the likes of Watkins after his stunt in Nevarez's office. I truly doubt we will see any unlicensed carry bills gain traction in 2017, and I will promise that we won't if Stickland is out there championing them. You can still make a principled stand and show people your dedication to a cause without destroying your ability to get a job done. Stickland's actions make me think of a fencing champion that would cut his own strong hand off in protest of a sword being used to deal out punishment for theft in the middle east.
I am in full agreement with your post, personally I think we were very lucky to get anything passed and thank the NRA & TSRA for sticking with it. They very well could have walked away and let the blame fall on others.
Salty1

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

What's astonishing is that C.J. and the OCT people say that Charles, the NRA, TSRA, et. al. "have no concept of how the legislature works." Like, listen to the experts, eh? :roll:
-Ruark

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

One comment often seen on the OCT sites is that "representatives from the NRA and TSRA were seen in the halls urging legislators to REMOVE the Dutton amendment!" What's the straight scoop on that perception?
-Ruark

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Ruark wrote:One comment often seen on the OCT sites is that "representatives from the NRA and TSRA were seen in the halls urging legislators to REMOVE the Dutton amendment!" What's the straight scoop on that perception?
That strikes me as likely to be true, given that the bill would have died if the amendment was not removed. It only reflects badly on the NRA to people who are too dumb to understand why the NRA did what they did. The legislative "strategy" (if you can call it that) of the OCT mental midgets is "give me a perfect bill or give me nothing!".

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Salty1 wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:I have no problems with Stickland's taking a stand on/for his principles, I do have a problem with how he did it. I admire his dedication and at the same time detest his methods. You don't act like a rear end to your peers and expect them to support you, nor do you associate with the likes of Watkins after his stunt in Nevarez's office. I truly doubt we will see any unlicensed carry bills gain traction in 2017, and I will promise that we won't if Stickland is out there championing them. You can still make a principled stand and show people your dedication to a cause without destroying your ability to get a job done. Stickland's actions make me think of a fencing champion that would cut his own strong hand off in protest of a sword being used to deal out punishment for theft in the middle east.
I am in full agreement with your post, personally I think we were very lucky to get anything passed and thank the NRA & TSRA for sticking with it. They very well could have walked away and let the blame fall on others.
:iagree:

Looking at the bills Stickland authored or co-authored, I would be curious to know if any of them went anywhere, not just 2A bills either.
If I get some time I may research this
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”