Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Davis' First TV Ad

Post by SQLGeek »

I saw this on TV the other day.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like Davis is going for the scare the women vote. The clip also has an analysis (which is probably a bit charitable to Davis) of the truthfulness of the ad.
Psalm 91:2

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Davis' First TV Ad

Post by BigGuy »

SQLGeek wrote:I saw this on TV the other day.

Looks like Davis is going for the scare the women vote. The clip also has an analysis (which is probably a bit charitable to Davis) of the truthfulness of the ad.
I think your characterization the clip is also charitable. It states that the ad is "mostly true." They base that on the fact that there was a woman raped by a vacuum cleaner salesman and that she sued the company. But that is not what the ad is about. It is about Greg Abbot siding with the company against the victim. It seems to me that on that issue, the ad is completely false. His decision "left intact the liability against the offender and his employer." He did correctly rule that the guy with the big pockets (Kirby) was not the employer. So on the only point the ad was trying to make, it is completely wrong.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

BigGuy wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:I saw this on TV the other day.

I think your characterization the clip is also charitable. It states that the ad is "mostly true." They base that on the fact that there was a woman raped by a vacuum cleaner salesman and that she sued the company. But that is not what the ad is about. It is about Greg Abbot siding with the company against the victim. It seems to me that on that issue, the ad is completely false. His decision "left intact the liability against the offender and his employer." He did correctly rule that the guy with the big pockets (Kirby) was not the employer. So on the only point the ad was trying to make, it is completely wrong.
It also tries to make you think all of the Justices except Abbot voted in favor of Kirby being liable. The add states '6 Judges, Democrat and Republican' voted in favor, but Greg Abbott didn't. The fact is 3 of the 9, including Abbott didn't vote in favor of the parent company Kirby being liable, but tried to the lower court ruling that teh dsitributor was liable, not the parent company.

These are the typical slants with plays on how you say something that sway the weak minded into voting with their heart and not their head. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Davis is a liar plain and simple. Abbott and two other justices correctly felt that Kirby was not responsible for the actions of an employee of a distributor over whom it had no control. As Keith noted, the ad makes it appear that only Abbott was on the dissenting side which is a lie by omission. Nine justices sit on the Texas Supreme Court. The ad also makes it appear that Abbott's opinion would have meant the rape victim would not have been able to recover from the distributor and this too is a blatant lie.

Wendy Davis is a terrible liar; terrible because she lies about so many things that can easily be disputed.

Chas.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Davis and her minions are dirtbags. If she is elected I'm going to curl up in the fetal position.

Topic author
SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The news this morning was saying that there has been a positive reaction to this ad and that Abbott's lead is down to 8 points.

I'd be surprised if closing the gap by 4 points was in response to this one ad but the media sure seems to be pushing it.
Psalm 91:2

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

Typical of political radio or TV ads. I don't believe any of them because they all have an element of truth but never tell the whole story in 30 seconds. The analogy in this case would be if a car salesman took a woman for a test drive and raped her, then the victim sued Ford instead of the dealership. Abbott said Ford (Kirby) was not liable but rather the distributor.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Davis campaign is certainly spending money on it. The ad seems plastered everywhere, every time I turn on the television. Can't remember seeing it on Fox News, however. Hm...

It's staggering to think there are so many low-information voters to make an ad like this worthwhile for Davis' campaign. I mean, don't people understand the function of the Texas Supreme Court? The implications in the ad are blatant, misleading, and absolutely false.

Every time this ad appears, I come closer and closer to throwing something at the TV. :???:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

Skiprr wrote:The Davis campaign is certainly spending money on it. The ad seems plastered everywhere, every time I turn on the television. Can't remember seeing it on Fox News, however. Hm...

It's staggering to think there are so many low-information voters to make an ad like this worthwhile for Davis' campaign. I mean, don't people understand the function of the Texas Supreme Court? The implications in the ad are blatant, misleading, and absolutely false.

Every time this ad appears, I come closer and closer to throwing something at the TV. :???:
I would suspect that a large percentage of the Texas population doesn't know that Texas has a Supreme Court.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

SQLGeek wrote:The news this morning was saying that there has been a positive reaction to this ad and that Abbott's lead is down to 8 points.

I'd be surprised if closing the gap by 4 points was in response to this one ad but the media sure seems to be pushing it.
I don't even buy that he's down to 8 points. The media uses polls to push their agenda and they will lie on behalf of their candidate...Davis.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

VMI77 wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:The news this morning was saying that there has been a positive reaction to this ad and that Abbott's lead is down to 8 points.

I don't even buy that he's down to 8 points. The media uses polls to push their agenda and they will lie on behalf of their candidate...Davis.
I don't either.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Frankly I don't buy that 8% of the Texas populace even knows who Wendy Davis is. I'd proffer knowledge of who Greg Abbott is, is only slightly higher.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Why isn't Abbott countering this? This is the sum total of Davis's campaign and it can be shot down easier than a clay pigeon at 10 yards with a 12 gauge.

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

The polls show Abortion Barbie is even behind in the women's vote.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

III

Return to “2014 Elections”