Possible shooting at UCLA

Post reports of crimes on campus in this forum. This is a temporary forum and posts will be transferred to the Crime Blotter at the close of the 2015 Texas Legislative Session.

Moderator: carlson1

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Possible shooting at UCLA

Post by philip964 »

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Drove from Minneapolis to LA to commit suicide. Murdered a woman there before he left. He was 38.

Accused the professor of stealing his code. Had been writing bad things about the professor on social media for some time.

Seems like professors are defenseless against nut job students and former students.

A psychiatrist once told me when I had a problem with a psychotic employee that I did not want to become his "fixation". Something to remember.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

It appears this guy had already graduated, Ph.D.

This is no different than a hitman going to "push a button" on a guy. Nothing whatsoever to do with campus carry.

Besides, he violated a whole slew of California and Los Angeles laws besides murder. No laws would have stopped this.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

JALLEN wrote:It appears this guy had already graduated, Ph.D.

This is no different than a hitman going to "push a button" on a guy. Nothing whatsoever to do with campus carry.

Besides, he violated a whole slew of California and Los Angeles laws besides murder. No laws would have stopped this.
The least of which is California's prohibition against firearms on campus, licensed or otherwise.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

I wonder if this man was religious in any way. I read that he did his undergrad in Kharagpur India. Certainly, India is predominantly Hindu. Kharagpur is in the West Bengal state, which is on the Eastern side of India. It so happens to be about 100 miles from the Bangladesh border. Bangladesh, by the way, is 90% muslim. I'm curious if this man was Hindu, muslim, or something else. I am not saying that religion was a factor in this murder spree. It seems unlikely based on the currently reporting. However, there are lots of gaps in the current reporting. I'm sure that the investigation will look into which religious circles that this man has associated in, if any. But I doubt that the results of that investigating will even be reported.

I know followers of Islam and have friends who practice that faith. So I apologize to them at I am asking about this man's faith. I was only interested because I once met a Christian teacher who shared a last name with the UCLA killer. The last name was Sarkar (Hindu origins I believe). The Christian teacher was a Bangladeshi convert from Islam.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

allisji wrote:I wonder if this man was religious in any way. I read that he did his undergrad in Kharagpur India. Certainly, India is predominantly Hindu. Kharagpur is in the West Bengal state, which is on the Eastern side of India. It so happens to be about 100 miles from the Bangladesh border. Bangladesh, by the way, is 90% muslim. I'm curious if this man was Hindu, muslim, or something else. I am not saying that religion was a factor in this murder spree. It seems unlikely based on the currently reporting. However, there are lots of gaps in the current reporting. I'm sure that the investigation will look into which religious circles that this man has associated in, if any. But I doubt that the results of that investigating will even be reported.

I know followers of Islam and have friends who practice that faith. So I apologize to them at I am asking about this man's faith. I was only interested because I once met a Christian teacher who shared a last name with the UCLA killer. The last name was Sarkar (Hindu origins I believe). The Christian teacher was a Bangladeshi convert from Islam.
I don't believe that religion had any bearing on the murders and can not imagine how it would be relevant.
It sounds like the man had severe mental problems and the breakup with his girlfriend was the trigger that lead to her murder and that of the professor. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

allisji

Post by allisji »

WildBill wrote:
allisji wrote:I wonder if this man was religious in any way. I read that he did his undergrad in Kharagpur India. Certainly, India is predominantly Hindu. Kharagpur is in the West Bengal state, which is on the Eastern side of India. It so happens to be about 100 miles from the Bangladesh border. Bangladesh, by the way, is 90% muslim. I'm curious if this man was Hindu, muslim, or something else. I am not saying that religion was a factor in this murder spree. It seems unlikely based on the currently reporting. However, there are lots of gaps in the current reporting. I'm sure that the investigation will look into which religious circles that this man has associated in, if any. But I doubt that the results of that investigating will even be reported.

I don't believe that religion had any bearing on the murders and can not imagine how it would be relevant.
It sounds like the man had severe mental problems and the breakup with his girlfriend was the trigger that lead to her murder and that of the professor. :tiphat:
Did not know that the woman in Minnesota was a girlfriend. Still not sure what that has to do with his former advisor at UCLA stealing his code. Anger can drive a man to great lengths. In this case it drove this man from Minnesota to LA. Maybe he was also mad that LA stole the Lakers from Minneapolis?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Certainly this was a mental condition. Not related to religion or race. His coming from Minneapolis and being from India, he could be Muslim. Doubtful we will find out, especially since, he is being referred to as "white" in the press.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

allisji wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Did not know that the woman in Minnesota was a girlfriend. Still not sure what that has to do with his former advisor at UCLA stealing his code. Anger can drive a man to great lengths. In this case it drove this man from Minnesota to LA. Maybe he was also mad that LA stole the Lakers from Minneapolis?
The woman in Minnesota was a former girlfriend who broke up with him.
I doubt that the professor stole his code. It sounds to me that the man was paranoid and mentally ill.
There was a "hit list" found by the police.
NRA Endowment Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

I heard on KRLD(local news only radio station in DFW) that the shooter had a note in his pocket, that the police found, that said "please check on my cat'" which led the local police in Minnesota to his address, which they found AND they found the "hit list". One name on the list was the woman he murdered. The local LEO'S followed up on the list and found her.

What in the world was his motive? I dunno.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/us/ucla-s ... index.html

Woman murdered was his wife. Don't know if they were estranged.

He entered the US on a student visa, but was granted legal status. May not have been interviewed before change was made.

It is being reported that his religion was changed from Muslim to Hindu on his on line bio after the shooting.

Return to “Crimes on Campus”