Mall Shooting in Indiana

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Mall Shooting in Indiana

Post by philip964 »

https://www.thecentersquare.com/nationa ... ac46c.html

Poll Americans trust armed citizens more than law enforcement to protect them in a mass shooting.

Yeah some anti gun group is bad mouthing the hero as he spoiled a good day for them.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:43 pm Yeah some anti gun group is bad mouthing the hero as he spoiled a good day for them.
A perfectly good gun tragedy wasted politically because of some honest, clear-headed, calm, accurate-shooting, everyday citizen. How dare he interfere and save lives. Doesn't he know he's supposed to just cower in place and let the insane felon do his felonious thing?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I’ve heard as far as 40 yds and as close as 15 feet. Either way, great shot in a stressful situation.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

Police are saying defender fired first shots from 30 yards, closed with the shooter, and dropped him with 9 rounds in 15 seconds

Details here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Paladin »

Excaliber wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:32 pm Police are saying defender fired first shots from 30 yards, closed with the shooter, and dropped him with 9 rounds in 15 seconds

Details here.
:cheers2: :patriot: :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Comments from the Anti-gunners make it sound like they actually wanted the armed citizen to leave his gun at home ...making this event a blood bath.

What's also great about armed citizens is that they cost taxpayers nothing.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

Hmmmmm..... it says "the gunman tried to retreat back into the restroom, but Dicken kept shooting him....." A nasty prosecutor could make that one a very tough call......
-Ruark

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Ruark wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:41 pm Hmmmmm..... it says "the gunman tried to retreat back into the restroom, but Dicken kept shooting him....." A nasty prosecutor could make that one a very tough call......
It would be a pretty EASY sell for defense that he could reasonably assume that there were additional mall guests in that bathroom, and therefore as the shooter was still carrying a gun that it was still defense of a third party.

If he threw the gun down and surrendered, then maybe...

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:01 pm
Ruark wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:41 pm Hmmmmm..... it says "the gunman tried to retreat back into the restroom, but Dicken kept shooting him....." A nasty prosecutor could make that one a very tough call......
It would be a pretty EASY sell for defense that he could reasonably assume that there were additional mall guests in that bathroom, and therefore as the shooter was still carrying a gun that it was still defense of a third party.

Yeah I think that’s a pretty easy sell myself. Are we supposed to assume that he wasn’t going in there to reload, change guns, kill innocents in the bathroom, or come back out shooting?

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

According to Redstate, the gunman had another rifle in reserve in the restroom.
Only 15 seconds to take out the bad guy.
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2022/07 ... ng-n598228
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

8 out of 10 rounds on target at 76 feet.
Very nice shooting under pressure.

Girlfriend is reported to have also been calm/cool and applied TQ to injured victim. (details on this still pending.. actual TQ or makeshift, for example?)
Not sure how my 20 something kids would have performed. I'll be asking them about it, just to give them a chance to think about it.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

jb2012 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:10 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:01 pm

Yeah I think that’s a pretty easy sell myself. Are we supposed to assume that he wasn’t going in there to reload, change guns, kill innocents in the bathroom, or come back out shooting?
The fact that the murderer used the bathroom as his original staging area supports the idea he would just use the bathroom to regroup.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

flowrie wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:51 pm According to Redstate, the gunman had another rifle in reserve in the restroom.
Only 15 seconds to take out the bad guy.
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2022/07 ... ng-n598228
Great article!!

10 shots in 15 seconds... 8 hits!! :cheers2:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I disagree. Retreating to a bathroom in the building does not indicate the murderer was giving in and abandoning his quest. It only indicates he was seeking cover and could easily become a threat to those who may be in the restroom and then he could become a barricaded gunman.

If he retreated out the door and did not abandon his weapons, he would still be a threat to innocent bystanders just as he was inside the mall. This scenario is very different than if someone was targeting specific people or trying to rob or break into a structure or vehicle and then decided to retreat. In those scenarios would be abandoning the mission and the target would no longer be in danger. With a mass murderer indiscriminately shooting innocent bystanders, he would still be a threat to innocent bystanders outside.

I realize I am not a lawyer and others may disagree with my layman's opinion. I'm ok with that.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:07 am 8 out of 10 rounds on target at 76 feet.
Very nice shooting under pressure.

Girlfriend is reported to have also been calm/cool and applied TQ to injured victim. (details on this still pending.. actual TQ or makeshift, for example?)
Not sure how my 20 something kids would have performed. I'll be asking them about it, just to give them a chance to think about it.
They may not of had any formal police or military training, but it is apparent they have given consideration to and developed a mental plan prior to the incident. It is good to see people who actually give forethought to potential bad situations and develop a plan of action. I hope I would act as decisive and proficiently as this young couple.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”