Shootout in Tomball, TX

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PaJ
Posts in topic: 2

Shootout in Tomball, TX

Post by PaJ »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/30-sh ... l/30929842" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

30 shots fired! Glad the homeowner wasn't hurt. Being out numbered and lots of lead flying could've been bad. Apparently, he was not just armed, but also trained and had a plan.

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shootout in Tomball, TX

Post by misterlarry »

People think it will never happen to them. Carry 24/7 folks!
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

PaJ wrote:30 shots fired! Glad the homeowner wasn't hurt. Being out numbered and lots of lead flying could've been bad. Apparently, he was not just armed, but also trained and had a plan.
Pistols are for convenience, and apparently in his case, limited collateral damage while you're sprayin' and prayin'. The guy heard his door get kicked in and didn't grab something more effective. That possibility is why my 12ga riot gun is right by the bedroom door.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

A question is why it went to 30 rounds. Not seeing burglars doing anything but attacking to the rear with speed if someone comes up shooting. There's every incentive for them to disengage swiftly.

The cynic in me tells me this was more than a random home invasion.

Topic author
PaJ

Post by PaJ »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:A question is why it went to 30 rounds. Not seeing burglars doing anything but attacking to the rear with speed if someone comes up shooting. There's every incentive for them to disengage swiftly.

The cynic in me tells me this was more than a random home invasion.
You could certainly be correct. This neighborhood isn't far from where I live. In general the area isn't known for invasions though there have been a couple of others in the news recently. A dog alerted his family to a BG in the house. The husband used a hockey stick to keep the man down while the wife called the police. Another house in the area had a mom and her kids forced into a closet while the house was robbed.

My first thought in this case was the BGs had been watching the house. The man's family was gone, but he was at home. The BGs thought the house was empty, but then were surprised when the home owner game out shooting. Of course, this scenario is pure speculation.

Slightly different version of the report: http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/20 ... /22355763/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Not far from me either; but not actually in Tomball. (Tomball mailing address, but not in the Tomball city limits.)

There was another home invasion in Cypress recently... To the west/southwest of this one.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

brhalltx wrote:Not far from me either; but not actually in Tomball. (Tomball mailing address, but not in the Tomball city limits.
Correct, but it is also within Tomball ISD.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

PaJ wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:My first thought in this case was the BGs had been watching the house. The man's family was gone, but he was at home. The BGs thought the house was empty, but then were surprised when the home owner game out shooting. Of course, this scenario is pure speculation.
12:30 does sound more like a burglary with the expectation of an empty house. If you want to catch somebody sleeping, you go after 3AM when most people are well into deep sleep.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

misterlarry wrote:People think it will never happen to them. Carry 24/7 folks!
Agreed. If you don't have it on you its not going to help and you're up to the BG's merci.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Since they broke down his door, you also might consider some more passive security upgrades. Windows should be addressed too, but I am not sure where to start on that.

http://armorconcepts.com/Our-Solutions/Door-Jamb-Armor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I keep telling myself I need to try this but haven't. Make your door harder to smash through. I guess you can also look at solid wood, iron, or steel doors, but that is more expensive.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A cheaper item is a door wedge that has an alarm pressure plate. Lowes used to have these, but I found it on Amazon. The alarm is loud. Other brands are there also. I doubt it would stop someone, but it will alert you and buy you a few extra seconds. You can push the wedge out of the way if you have to get in, but not instantly.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”