Man shoots, kills suspected carjacker in parking lot

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PaJ
Posts in topic: 2

Man shoots, kills suspected carjacker in parking lot

Post by PaJ »

Man shoots, kills suspected carjacker in parking lot: http://www.click2houston.com/news/man-s ... t/32656632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shared from Click2Houston via the mobile app for Android.
http://www.click2houston.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download our mobile apps at: http://www.click2houston.com/mobile" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man shoots, kills suspected carjacker in parking lot

Post by The Wall »

Commerce Street? 10:00pm?

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I note with great satisfaction that even our Houston Chronicle is giving the parties in this story the correct names: 'victim' for the vehicle owner, and 'suspect' for the dead guy on the ground.

Who'da think we'd see the day?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
PaJ

Post by PaJ »

RHenriksen wrote:I note with great satisfaction that even our Houston Chronicle is giving the parties in this story the correct names: 'victim' for the vehicle owner, and 'suspect' for the dead guy on the ground.

Who'da think we'd see the day?
:iagree: Satan better buy a parka!

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

The Wall wrote:Commerce Street? 10:00pm?
If by that you mean, what was he doing in that area at that time, not everyone has a 9 to 5 schedule. Some people work nights and are up stopping for fuel or getting some groceries before and after work. What may be dinner time for one person can be breakfast time for another. I can not speak for the person involved in this incident but I have been involved in bad situations late at night or early in the morning and was just going by my normal schedule. Not everyone out late is up to no good. Having to be out at odd hours, when not so good people are up and about, is one reason I got chl in the first place.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Javier730 wrote:
If by that you mean, what was he doing in that area at that time, not everyone has a 9 to 5 schedule. Some people work nights and are up stopping for fuel or getting some groceries before and after work. What may be dinner time for one person can be breakfast time for another. I can not speak for the person involved in this incident but I have been involved in bad situations late at night or early in the morning and was just going by my normal schedule. Not everyone out late is up to no good. Having to be out at odd hours, when not so good people are up and about, is one reason I got chl in the first place.
Also a few blocks from the baseball stadium.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Javier730 wrote:
:iagree:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Javier730 wrote:
Yep, my company is a 24/7 operation, and we have workers on shift getting off and coming to work at all hours...some on regular shifts, some answering calls. I'm fortunately not in that category but we have plenty of employees who are.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I no longer live in the Houston area, I do live in the Dallas area which is as bad if not worse. I am on call 24/7 and it is not uncommon for me to be called out in the middle of the night. Sometimes in areas of town that are less than ideal.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jmra

Post by jmra »

I would like to think that if I were sitting in a parking lot at night and two men approached me asking for a ride and left after I told them no, my situational awareness would kick in and I would either leave and find another place to park or I would at least reposition myself so that I would be able to see anyone approaching.
I'm glad it worked out in the end for this guy but I don't think I would ever follow an order to get on my knees, that has "I'm gonna shoot you in the head" written all over it. Normally I would say that once they were in the vehicle and I felt I was clear that I would not take that shot as I have held the position that I would not take a life just to retrieve property. But in this case with the whole get on your knees thing, I'm not so sure what I would have done.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

jmra wrote:I would like to think that if I were sitting in a parking lot at night and two men approached me asking for a ride and left after I told them no, my situational awareness would kick in and I would either leave and find another place to park or I would at least reposition myself so that I would be able to see anyone approaching.
I'm glad it worked out in the end for this guy but I don't think I would ever follow an order to get on my knees, that has "I'm gonna shoot you in the head" written all over it. Normally I would say that once they were in the vehicle and I felt I was clear that I would not take that shot as I have held the position that I would not take a life just to retrieve property. But in this case with the whole get on your knees thing, I'm not so sure what I would have done.
No doubt the smart thing to do but then we shouldn't have to be chased away by thugs when we're not doing anything wrong or illegal. And of course while this guy might have avoided having to defend himself these guys would have kept doing the same things until they eventually killed someone. In the end though, it was the two thugs who sealed their own fate. They chose to do the crime. Based on the news article the victim did the world a favor. No telling how many lives he may have saved besides his own.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”