A situation for Open Carry?

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

A situation for Open Carry?

Post by LSUTiger »

I had to drop off my vehicle at the dealership for service and pick it up the next day. The dealership service dept. closes at 7pm with an after hours drop off until 10pm, then the gates at both entrances are closed and locked, then reopened at 5am for early drop off and service dept. reopens at 7am. So entrance to dealership lot/ early-late service drop off is not available from 10pm to 5am.

When I arrived at the dealership yesterday after 5pm to pickup my vehicle, I parked my wife's vehicle outside of the dealership gated area, 150yds from service dept., in an unlight 10 car parking area right outside the gate. I parked it in the very first spot closest to the gate at the end of the row. Hers was the only vehicle out there when I left at 7pm, so the service dept. was closed.

I walked to the dealership and picked up my vehicle and drove home, leaving her vehicle behind. At around 9:00-9:30 pm the same evening. My wife and I returned in my vehicle to pick up hers.

The gates were still open but their was a another vehicle, the only other, parked uncomfortably close in the space next to hers. I pulled in a little past her car into the open gate then reversed to back up and turn around. I wanted to illuminate her vehicle and the other parked next to her. As I reverse and pulled forward to turn around I noticed 3 rather large urban gentleman sitting in the vehicle. I pull forward a little so my headlights were not directly on them but turned enough so I could leave quick if needed but still illuminate the area.

As I turned on the interior lights and my wife looked for her keys I mentioned the three guys in the car. She was startled and I asked if she wanted me to drive her vehicle and she could drive my mine. She said no, but cover me. So as she looked for her keys for a couple minutes in her giant purse, I had my flashlight and weapon in hand. We waited a few more minutes to see if they would leave. I was going to get out of my vehicle and stand behind the door as she entered into her vehicle, but then the 3 guys all of a sudden pulled out and sped off into the dealership lot.

As soon as they left she got into her vehicle and we got out of there ASAP. We made it home safely.

I think that would have been the good occasion to OC since things didn't seem right but we didn't know if the perceived threat was there legitimately or not (it didn't make sense for them to be there, then they left and went right into the lot? Service dept is closed, if dropping off another vehicle or if you are waiting to pick up someone up why not wait inside the lot?), they were not making any threats and we still had to get the vehicle. So if I could have, I would have OC'ed to let them know, I see you, you see me and if you attempt to harm me...........instead of them perceiving a single unarmed guy against 3 guys.

Is that escalation or deterrence? Anyway, I was about to leave and make a drive around the block and not risk it, but they left. Which is suspicious to me, I wouldn't leave a place I unless I was up to no good.

Maybe they were thinking the same things about us? LOL, I doubt it.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A situation for Open Carry?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Urban?

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

RoyGBiv wrote:Urban?

[ Image ]

The kinda people you don't want to see in an unlighted remote parking lot late at night who don't seem to have a good reason to be there other than to do something illegal to you.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

Could you see they were unarmed.. ??

Why decide to possibly open carry when you didnt know ??

There are several options in a circumstance you have posed.. sleeeping dogs and kicks :headscratch
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

o b juan wrote:Could you see they were unarmed.. ??

Why decide to possibly open carry when you didnt know ??

There are several options in a circumstance you have posed.. sleeeping dogs and kicks :headscratch
No, couldn't see they were unarmed or not. I guess if they are concealing well you would never know. Perhaps that's the point of OC anyway (besides comfort, larger capacity gun, better shootability, quicker access), you don't know, so if you believe in deterrence then OC.

I plan to OC Jan. 1 but like lots of us who will I will use discretion as to when, but not because of what criminals might think. Most likely in that scenario, public place late at night, unlit, secluded, I would OC in future anyway.

I guess the real question, regardless of OC or not, is since I was in a vehicle and I already perceived potential danger, do I get out or go away and comeback later? If I was already OCing while walking about and came upon a perceived danger or one came upon me, then that's a different story. But having the opportunity to run away and not I guess is my question? I guess it really depends on how bad you feel the threat is. Either way OC will be a deterrence or not.

I think I answered my own question.

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep"

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Maybe one or more of them was getting picked up after work at the shop... ?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

the biggest issue here is that she should have her keys on a hook on the strap of her purse. She shouldn't have to search for them in a big empty parking lot.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

I think you handled the situation just fine.... you saw three people in a car, you kept your headlights off them but still in view, which to me de-escalate a situation some.... how many times have you driven down a street at night and car is parked on the wrong side with lights on..... even low beams can be blinding because the are supposed to be aimed to the side... you asked your wife the correct question because if they were up to no good because chances are they would hesitate in attacking a male vice a female... keeping your carry hidden gives you the advantage... you saw a situation and to me responded correctly.... you did not escalate anything.

Couple weeks ago daughter had a play at her school. (carry locked in center console).. while getting ready to leave decided to just leave it in console. as i was pulling out into the street notice a car turn left onto the street, I had more than enough room to pull into traffic but he laid on his horn. I turned right at the next street and he turned right behind me. I turned right at the next street and he turn right also... next street was a left turn, which was also a street this guy behind me could have went to if he turned right instead of left on the street by the school... when he turned left behind me thats when i pulled my gun out of the console and kept it by my leg... at the next intersection i went straight and he turn left... was he following me because i "cut him" off... I dont know... but i kept watch and to me took the appropriate action... just like you did... you watched and observed.
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”