Chicago liquor store clerk fatally shoots 2 would-be robbers, 15 and 17

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Chicago liquor store clerk fatally shoots 2 would-be robbers, 15 and 17

Post by VMI77 »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Another two in Chicago bite the dust.
Citing preliminary information, authorities said two people walked into the store, and one of them hopped over the counter.

That person hit the clerk standing behind the counter, while the other remained in front of the counter, authorities said.

Meanwhile, a relative of the store owner heard a commotion upstairs and saw the robbery suspects from a stairwell, authorities said.

He pulled out a gun and opened fire on the two, killing them, authorities said. At least one of them was armed with a gun.
And just when they were about to turn their lives around:
Brandon acknowledged her brother had been in trouble before but did not specify what that entailed. She said he and Marzette were "always together," and that Larson recently had received his GED and enrolled in Triton College in suburban River Grove.

"He showed me his class schedule, filled out his FAFSA and everything," Brandon said, referring to a form for student aid. "He didn't even get a chance to start. I'm just lost. I'm just numb that I won't see my brother again."
OTOH, a surprising comment from their uncle who was waiting for them across the street:
Bruce Jones said he was sitting in a van across the street while his nephews bought drinks inside the store. He said he heard shots and ran into the store, where he saw both robbers lying on the floor "bleeding out."

"Greed and being thirsty, that's what gets you killed," Jones said. "You just can't go taking people's stuff."
And from a bystander:
"They don't play, and I don't blame them," a woman said of the storekeepers. "This (has) happened to them before."

Other details here....including a gruesome photo of the aftermath.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=28818#more-28818
And sure enough, the Reverends are already condemning the store-owning family for “killing two young boys over mere money. They didn’t deserve that.”

Remember: they came in threatening to kill for that money. Robbery by definition is theft by the use of violence — statutes often refer to “force or fear.” These worthless wastes of skin also violently assaulted the clerk.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Redneck_Buddha

Re: Chicago liquor store clerk fatally shoots 2 would-be robbers, 15 and 17

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Welp...bye.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JALLEN »

Shooting them in the act is the most efficient, no inefficient trial proceedings, no expensive prison stays, no bogus rehab programs, no recidivism, no probation foolishness, no alibis about being in Peoria that night, and you are pretty sure to shoot the right perp. The gene pool is preserved.

If you are stupid enough, uncaring enough, to do things like this, you are little more than an animal anyway.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

And sure enough, the Reverends are already condemning the store-owning family for “killing two young boys over mere money. They didn’t deserve that.”
They might point out to the Reverends that Death Row is packed with criminals who robbed a convenience store, then shot the clerk.
-Ruark

Ron7624

Post by Ron7624 »

The uncle said: Greed and being thirsty, that's what gets you killed," Jones said. "You just can't go taking people's stuff.
It amazes me that the thinking of the related person who was driving the get a way van, quickly accepted their death as a way of life in such a matter of fact manner.
ALSO
and the article said that the deaths were classified as homicides.... is that a typo?

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Ron7624 wrote:The uncle said: Greed and being thirsty, that's what gets you killed," Jones said. "You just can't go taking people's stuff.
It amazes me that the thinking of the related person who was driving the get a way van, quickly accepted their death as a way of life in such a matter of fact manner.
ALSO
and the article said that the deaths were classified as homicides.... is that a typo?
Technically it was a homicide. Whether it was justified is key. This was Chicago, so I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Ron7624 wrote:The uncle said: Greed and being thirsty, that's what gets you killed," Jones said. "You just can't go taking people's stuff.
ALSO
I think it's homicide if you intended to kill the person, even if you aren't prosecuted due to justification. "Justifiable Homicide".
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Ron7624

Post by Ron7624 »

Ah, thanks. Got it. That word threw me a bit. Putting the word justifiable in front of it cleared it up in my mind.
Thanks guys.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Maybe if the Reverend had let those boys know he would hand them money whenever they wanted it, they wouldn't have robbed the store. The reverend is obviously generous and would have no problem handing out cash to any of that area's troubled youth.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Picked a wrong place to rob.

"...Meanwhile, a relative of the store owner heard a commotion from upstairs and saw the robbery suspects from a stairwell, authorities said.

He pulled out a gun and opened fire on the two, killing them both, authorities said. At least one of them was armed with a gun..."

http://www.officer.com/news/12156599/wo ... quor-store

Chicago liquor stores are war zones.

http://articles.chicagobreakingnews.com ... quor-store

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

My first CHL instructor impressed upon us the fact that if you carry a pistol, you might have to shoot a kid with it because one of his earliest students had to shoot a 14 year old who was robbing him with a gun. He told us that we had better be emotionally ready to shoot a kid because that kid has no problem with shooting you. Kinda stuck with me. Case in point with these two teens in this story.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

ScottDLS wrote:
ALSO
I think it's homicide if you intended to kill the person, even if you aren't prosecuted due to justification. "Justifiable Homicide".
Homicide is any killing of a human being by another. Each state defines homicides into intentional (murder of various degrees) or unintentional (manslaughter in varying degrees). Some homicides are justifiable, even if intentional, as defined in the statutes of each state.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Unocat
Banned

Post by Unocat »

Aledgedly good riddance.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

The whole incident is just sad.
The "reverend" says they didn't deserve it, but in the words of Mr. Eastwood "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."
In an armed robbery there is the element of the unknown...will the robber kill...or not? Should the victim wait until they are shot to find out? Should robbers fill out a survey first with a disclaimer that says if they proceed with the robbery there is a chance they could be shot?
Of course not. Anyone who engages in such criminal activity is aware of the terror they are imposing on others, and someone defending themselves with equal force should be expected.
The incident is sad, and a huge, looming reality is that the young men didn't have to do it...they had the freedom and liberty to not terrorize people with armed robbery and to not get shot.
It's called "consequences."

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Can't tell who they looked like from the photo..... :headscratch

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”