71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 941
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby NotRPB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 am

71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers. With a gun
March 15, 2016 at 3:19 pm
http://bearingarms.com/71-year-old-man- ... d-robbers/

in part:
So, when 18 year old Jafari Mitchell and a 15-year-old male approached the man and pulled a gun, demanding all his money, the 71 year old drew his own gun and shot first.

Fearing for his life, he shot the man who had a gun pointed at him ...
The elderly man did the right thing and stayed there with Mitchell, calling 911 and cooperating with authorities in the ongoing investigation.


Mike S
Senior Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Mike S » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:13 am

NotRPB wrote:71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers. With a gun
March 15, 2016 at 3:19 pm
http://bearingarms.com/71-year-old-man- ... d-robbers/

in part:
So, when 18 year old Jafari Mitchell and a 15-year-old male approached the man and pulled a gun, demanding all his money, the 71 year old drew his own gun and shot first.

Fearing for his life, he shot the man who had a gun pointed at him ...
The elderly man did the right thing and stayed there with Mitchell, calling 911 and cooperating with authorities in the ongoing investigation.



I know a couple "70+ year olds" that would be offended by being referred to as "elderly men". Danged good shooters, too!
Mike S.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:17 am

I'm sorry someone had to die, but this is another case of justified self defense. I just wish these stories made more headlines maybe it will make these street urchins think twice before taking on innocent people. Glad the gentleman wasn't injured. and that they were able to pick up the accompanying garbage.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 4993
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby puma guy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:39 pm

The 15 year old was later apprehended and arrested. He has been charged with one count of attempted robbery and one count of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

I'm wondering why they aren't charging the 15 year old with a homicide, too.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22797
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby The Annoyed Man » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:41 pm

puma guy wrote:
The 15 year old was later apprehended and arrested. He has been charged with one count of attempted robbery and one count of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

I'm wondering why they aren't charging the 15 year old with a homicide, too.

Exactly. If the other goblin had been killed in the commission of a bank robbery, the boy would most certainly be charged. Lee Boyd Malvo was given 6 consecutive life sentences for murders he committed while age 17.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:46 pm

puma guy wrote:
The 15 year old was later apprehended and arrested. He has been charged with one count of attempted robbery and one count of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

I'm wondering why they aren't charging the 15 year old with a homicide, too.



That may not be applicable in Virginia, I'm not familiar with their laws regarding charging an accomplice with the death of his partner in crime.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts: 4849
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby flintknapper » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Jusme wrote:I'm sorry someone had to die, but this is another case of justified self defense. I just wish these stories made more headlines maybe it will make these street urchins think twice before taking on innocent people. Glad the gentleman wasn't injured. and that they were able to pick up the accompanying garbage.


Now...now, you know these were good 'Church Goin' Boys', just doin' a little robbing, "ain't no thang'. I'm sure we will hear from the family of the robber's (er...I mean victims) soon enough.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Jusme » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:02 pm

flintknapper wrote:
Jusme wrote:I'm sorry someone had to die, but this is another case of justified self defense. I just wish these stories made more headlines maybe it will make these street urchins think twice before taking on innocent people. Glad the gentleman wasn't injured. and that they were able to pick up the accompanying garbage.


Now...now, you know these were good 'Church Goin' Boys', just doin' a little robbing, "ain't no thang'. I'm sure we will hear from the family of the robber's (er...I mean victims) soon enough.



I know they will be portrayed as the finest choirboys to ever walk among us, and they were just underprivileged, and misguided. How did an 18 year old get a handgun? Shouldn't we have laws to prevent that from happening? Must have got it at a gun show, or just ordered it on line. You know if they just had universal background checks and other "common sense" gun laws this wouldn't have happened.:banghead:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5702
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby ELB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Old dude has a Gran Torino in the garage. :rock"
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5427
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Pawpaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Don't mess with an old guy. He's too tired to fight you and too old to take a whoopin', so he'll just kill you.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts: 8140
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby joe817 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:43 pm

Pawpaw wrote:Don't mess with an old guy. He's too tired to fight you and too old to take a whoopin', so he'll just kill you.


There's some truth in that there statement! :coolgleamA:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

User avatar

Jeff B.
Senior Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Jeff B. » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:56 am

joe817 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Don't mess with an old guy. He's too tired to fight you and too old to take a whoopin', so he'll just kill you.


There's some truth in that there statement! :coolgleamA:


As time goes on, I find myself more and more understanding that saying...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman


Ed4032
Senior Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:24 am
Location: DFW

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby Ed4032 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am

The family already has a GoFundMe page to cover their loss.

Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5702
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby ELB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:44 am

Ed4032 wrote:The family already has a GoFundMe page to cover their loss.



:roll:
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

LabRat
Senior Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: 71 year-old man fights back against armed robbers

Postby LabRat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:56 am

Ed4032 wrote:The family already has a GoFundMe page to cover their loss.


Good grief!!! :banghead:

Guess it is about money instead of demonstrating good moral character for your children.
I can't even look.

LabRat
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you....but it's still on my list.
In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of Emergency notify...", I answered "a doctor"
This is not legal advice.


Return to “Self-Defense Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest