KHOU - Failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve5115
Posts in topic: 1

KHOU - Failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

Post by Steve5115 »

Suspect shot, killed in failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

http://www.khou.com/news/local/suspect- ... /179318763

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: KHOU - Failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've been asked why I grab my sidearm just to run up to the store. This is why. I hope that he was fully justified and is no-billed, and I hope he can muster the strength to deal with it. Even justified self defense, I can't imagine taking a life is easy to deal with. That's one of my biggest fears that I hope I never have to realize.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrs_diesel »

That McD's is only a few miles from our house. :shock:
J.R.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I've been asked why I grab my sidearm just to run up to the store. This is why. I hope that he was fully justified and is no-billed, and I hope he can muster the strength to deal with it. Even justified self defense, I can't imagine taking a life is easy to deal with. That's one of my biggest fears that I hope I never have to realize.
This evening, as I was walking back from my workshop to the house, I noticed some of our cats paying attention to something in a patch of rocks, and then heard the all to familiar rattles. It was a decent sized snake. The young cats were fascinated.... a new game! I realized there was no way to get them away from this snake who was seriously aggitated and ready to strike. I had snake shot in my .357 but since I couldn't be sure where the riccochets would go, with all the cats darting in and out, I had to kill it with a shovel. That's how you should react to a situation like this man faced at McDonalds, and lose no more sleep over it than I will over this snake.

I wish I didn't have to kill the snake. Absent the threat to the young cats, it could have gone on its way. But it was a threat and that's all there was to it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Earlier this evening the usual question about what to have for dinner popped up. The Better Half and I decided chili from Wendy's. That was easy, only about 1 mile away, drive through, cheap and I was planning on making no other stops. I walked out to the car with no shoes or socks on and made the uneventful trip to and fro. However, before leaving I did add my HK P30sk. Always carry!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Here is the facebook excerpt from the League City police:
Thank you for your patience, League City family. Below you will find the full news release. As a reminder, there are families involved and likely to read your comments.

News Release: Suspect Shot During Attempted Robbery

At 2:12 p.m., the League City Police Department responded to a shooting in the parking lot of a restaurant located at 102 South State Highway 3. A man and his young child were in the drive-thru of the restaurant when he was approached by another male at gun point in what appears to be a failed robbery attempt. During the altercation, the driver, who is licensed to carry a handgun, shot the suspect multiple times striking him in the chest region. The injured suspect was transported to Clear Lake Regional Medical Center where he was later pronounced deceased.

Multiple witnesses have confirmed the details of the robbery; however, the investigation is ongoing and will be referred to the grand jury. The driver of the vehicle has been fully cooperative with the investigation.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending next of kin notification.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

It is a shame that the deceased suspect decided to behave in a way that cost him his life. This sounds like a case of "suicide by responsible citizen". Because it was not the victims fault that he was put into a situation that he had to defend himself and loved ones.

I just hope that we don't have to put up with the story where the perp's family says if the victim would have just gave the perp what he wanted then everything would have been ok.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

You know that "he was a good boy and wouldn't hurt anyone" :banghead:

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

I always unbuckle my seatbelt when I am in the parking lot, drive-through lane, my own driveway, other places where I am stopped and still in the car. This is a habit from living in certain countries overseas, and I retained it for places where the risk and consequence of a collision are low, but the consequence of being tied down is very high.
USAF 1982-2005

Goldspurs

Post by Goldspurs »

Flightmare wrote:Here is the facebook excerpt from the League City police:
Thank you for your patience, League City family. Below you will find the full news release. As a reminder, there are families involved and likely to read your comments.

News Release: Suspect Shot During Attempted Robbery

At 2:12 p.m., the League City Police Department responded to a shooting in the parking lot of a restaurant located at 102 South State Highway 3. A man and his young child were in the drive-thru of the restaurant when he was approached by another male at gun point in what appears to be a failed robbery attempt. During the altercation, the driver, who is licensed to carry a handgun, shot the suspect multiple times striking him in the chest region. The injured suspect was transported to Clear Lake Regional Medical Center where he was later pronounced deceased.

Multiple witnesses have confirmed the details of the robbery; however, the investigation is ongoing and will be referred to the grand jury. The driver of the vehicle has been fully cooperative with the investigation.

The name of the deceased is being withheld pending next of kin notification.
Help me out here. If it is going before a grand jury does that mean he was charged by the DA? I assume it's just to see if there is enough to charge him, but I could be wrong. Either way, if enough witnesses corraborate his story he shouldn't even have to worry about this case going before a grand jury IMO.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

The grand jury referral is normal. He will be no billed and life will go on.

goose

Post by goose »

Goldspurs wrote: Help me out here. If it is going before a grand jury does that mean he was charged by the DA? I assume it's just to see if there is enough to charge him, but I could be wrong. Either way, if enough witnesses corraborate his story he shouldn't even have to worry about this case going before a grand jury IMO.
The grand jury is actually a safety net for the LTC holder in this case. When (assuming) he gets no billed, he cannot be taken to civil court by the family of the perpetrator. While I would be scared to go in front of a grand jury, because you never know, they can provide a fair bit of protections to us that might choose to defend our families.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Goldspurs

Post by Goldspurs »

SC1903A3 wrote:The grand jury referral is normal. He will be no billed and life will go on.
Understood. I guess my real question is should this be the norm in these situations?

Goldspurs

Post by Goldspurs »

goose wrote:
Goldspurs wrote: Help me out here. If it is going before a grand jury does that mean he was charged by the DA? I assume it's just to see if there is enough to charge him, but I could be wrong. Either way, if enough witnesses corraborate his story he shouldn't even have to worry about this case going before a grand jury IMO.
The grand jury is actually a safety net for the LTC holder in this case. When (assuming) he gets no billed, he cannot be taken to civil court by the family of the perpetrator. While I would be scared to go in front of a grand jury, because you never know, they can provide a fair bit of protections to us that might choose to defend our families.
Ah. I did not think about that. Good point.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”