KHOU - Failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: KHOU - Failed robbery attempt in McDonald's drive-thru

Post by jrs_diesel »

Caribe wrote:
jrs_diesel wrote:That McD's is only a few miles from our house. :shock:
Which McD's in LC was it ??
The corner of FM 518 and highway 3.
J.R.

goose

Post by goose »

Goldspurs wrote:
goose wrote:
Goldspurs wrote: Help me out here. If it is going before a grand jury does that mean he was charged by the DA? I assume it's just to see if there is enough to charge him, but I could be wrong. Either way, if enough witnesses corraborate his story he shouldn't even have to worry about this case going before a grand jury IMO.
The grand jury is actually a safety net for the LTC holder in this case. When (assuming) he gets no billed, he cannot be taken to civil court by the family of the perpetrator. While I would be scared to go in front of a grand jury, because you never know, they can provide a fair bit of protections to us that might choose to defend our families.
Ah. I did not think about that. Good point.
Okay, so after shooting my mouth off, I thought "Can you back that up?" I had picked up my view here on the Forum but couldn't remember the specifics. You can be sued after a no-bill, BUT you can also use the no-bill as evidence that you are "immune from liability." Charles is obviously more astute with the details of the law. This is his explanation in another thread. (As always, thank you, Charles.)

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... l#p1005647
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Goldspurs wrote:
SC1903A3 wrote:The grand jury referral is normal. He will be no billed and life will go on.
Understood. I guess my real question is should this be the norm in these situations?
I believe it is required in cases of violent homicides. Now, if I could just find the statute!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XinTX »

jrs_diesel wrote:
Caribe wrote:
jrs_diesel wrote:That McD's is only a few miles from our house. :shock:
Which McD's in LC was it ??
The corner of FM 518 and highway 3.
Yep. I drive by there every day on my way to and from work. Busy intersection, especially that time of day on a Saturday. It's only a couple blocks from the police station too.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Goldspurs »

goose wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
goose wrote:
Goldspurs wrote: Help me out here. If it is going before a grand jury does that mean he was charged by the DA? I assume it's just to see if there is enough to charge him, but I could be wrong. Either way, if enough witnesses corraborate his story he shouldn't even have to worry about this case going before a grand jury IMO.
The grand jury is actually a safety net for the LTC holder in this case. When (assuming) he gets no billed, he cannot be taken to civil court by the family of the perpetrator. While I would be scared to go in front of a grand jury, because you never know, they can provide a fair bit of protections to us that might choose to defend our families.
Ah. I did not think about that. Good point.
Okay, so after shooting my mouth off, I thought "Can you back that up?" I had picked up my view here on the Forum but couldn't remember the specifics. You can be sued after a no-bill, BUT you can also use the no-bill as evidence that you are "immune from liability." Charles is obviously more astute with the details of the law. This is his explanation in another thread. (As always, thank you, Charles.)

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... l#p1005647
Thanks for the link. Hopefully in these rare situations of being sued by the perps family the true victim is able to counter for legal fees.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

ELB

Post by ELB »

Follow-up:

Could find nothing about the defender. Assume grand jury no-billed. The dead robber was identified. Previous non-violent drug offense. http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/artic ... 1b3d1.html
USAF 1982-2005

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Darned fool, those people in League City and Northern Gakveston County almost all have LTCs, and likely well armed.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

Wish we could know more. BG had the drop on our hero father.

That went from there to BG dead.

Mentions an altercation. Did the GG use the BG's gun to shoot him ( got the gun a little to close to the GG , GG turned it away and got it away)? Or was the BG distracted and it gave the GG time to draw? Very tough choice with a child in the car.

ELB

Post by ELB »

philip964 wrote:Wish we could know more. BG had the drop on our hero father.

That went from there to BG dead.

Mentions an altercation. Did the GG use the BG's gun to shoot him ( got the gun a little to close to the GG , GG turned it away and got it away)? Or was the BG distracted and it gave the GG time to draw? Very tough choice with a child in the car.
From the link in the OP: "Police said the driver involved is licensed to carry a handgun ..." I think he had his own gun.

All I could find on this was the link I posted a couple posts back, and that link was to a story only a couple days after the event.

You realize this thread started more than a year ago, right? I have been going through some old SD and Crime Blotter threads to see how some of the initial events turned out.

Generally if the perpetrator survived and the event is in Texas, I will find the perp in the care of the TDCJ -- sometimes on death row.

Generally -- in fact, nearly always -- if the defender is a LTC holder, the story ends "the man was questioned and released, and police (or DA) said the matter will be referred to a grand jury." And then I will find nothing more about the LTC holder. I take that to mean that the GJ no-billed him.

Occasionally the LTC holder/defender is identified, but have not run across any yet that were prosecuted, or even arrested, for anything.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://gunmemorial.org/2016/05/07/ratawn-bourgeois

A memorial page to the robber shot to death with a gun.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If you go looking for trouble, you'll most likely find it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ELB

Post by ELB »

philip964 wrote:http://gunmemorial.org/2016/05/07/ratawn-bourgeois

Yes I've run across this site a lot when running down old stories. They never mention that many (most) of those memorialized brought their "gun death" upon themselves.
USAF 1982-2005

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

ELB wrote:

Yes I've run across this site a lot when running down old stories. They never mention that many (most) of those memorialized brought their "gun death" upon themselves.
"killed during the commission of a (presumably violent) felony" doesn't elicit as much sympathy......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

philip964

Post by philip964 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
ELB wrote:

"killed during the commission of a (presumably violent) felony" doesn't elicit as much sympathy......
I'm seeing this with and the vote to make bullet proof glass barriers illegal, a change in the thinking about robbery.

I see that in the future there will be a push to make defending yourself illegal. Probably won't start in Texas, but back East or in California. We are depriving these documented and undocumented patriots with their livlyhood without due process. Armed citizens are becoming the judge, jury and executioner.

These changes start small, but grow in the minds of parts of our society and reinforced by liberal segements to become mainstream thinking. Look how quickly we are accepting men competing in women's weightlifting completions.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

philip964 wrote:These changes start small, but grow in the minds of parts of our society and reinforced by liberal segements to become mainstream thinking. Look how quickly we are accepting men competing in women's weightlifting completions.
I'm surprised there aren't crowds of feminists protesting the sexism of segregated weightlifting competitions.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”