ABC 13 - Man opens fire across four lanes of traffic

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve5115
Posts in topic: 1

ABC 13 - Man opens fire across four lanes of traffic

Post by Steve5115 »

I don't think that I would have done this...

http://abc13.com/news/man-opens-fire-ac ... s/1328964/

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ABC 13 - Man opens fire across four lanes of traffic

Post by Goldspurs »

Poor choices were definitely made in this situation. Unless other circumstances come out showing he needed to use his weapon, I think this guy should be charged. At the very least his LTC should be revoked.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

won't be charged because he has a license

I hope there will be charges, that's nuts.
Sends a bad message to other LTC's about their near-LEO rights.
You may have the last word.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Maybe there would be no charges for carrying a handgun in public, but I fail to see how he was justified in using deadly force, since he was laying in wait for the suspects. I am sure ya'll know he is still responsible for all the damages caused by his poor shooting.

P.S. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID that is about as nice as I can be, what I really want to say would get me banned.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm surprised he wasn't at least charged with disorderly conduct for shooting across a public road. :headscratch
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The fact that he wasn't charged makes me think there's more to this story than is being reported. There may have been four lanes of traffic (2 in each direction), but were there any cars going by at the time of the shooting? Something doesn't smell right.

Chas.

Goldspurs
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Goldspurs »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The fact that he wasn't charged makes me think there's more to this story than is being reported. There may have been four lanes of traffic (2 in each direction), but were there any cars going by at the time of the shooting? Something doesn't smell right.

Chas.
Agreed. Rather poor reporting to state that he won't be charged because he has a LTC. Last time I checked it didn't have anything on it saying I'm immune from punishment.
"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle." -Sir Winston Churchill

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

There is pretty obviously terrible reporting here. As written, it makes no sense.

LTC holder (LTC) was going through the drive through of his friend's restaurant when he noticed that it was being robbed. Apparently the restaurant employee was not too distracted by the robbery to finish LTC's transaction and give him his food.

LTC then needs to drive across the street to get his gun. Does LTC live across the street? That's the only thing that makes sense for this part.

LTC decides to open fire as the BG's are leaving the restaurant, but does not even bother to get a description of their vehicle. Based on the poor shooting and lack of a description, maybe LTC is nearsighted and left his glasses 4 blocks down the road with his other gun? I'm still struggling with the whole "gun across the street" thing.

That said, it was night time and if the friend had asked LTC to keep an eye on his restaurant, then he might have been justified using deadly force to recover the stolen property (if he could in fact see for sure that the BG's had the stolen property with them). However IMHO, a better course of action would have been to call 911, and get a good description of the BG's and their vehicle. If he felt like being a hero he could have stayed close enough to get a decent cell phone video of the men and their license plate.

A gun is a tool, like a hammer. But just because I have a hammer does not mean that I always need to use it. Sometimes other tools are better suited to the task at hand. Here, LTC had many other tools that would have been much better for this particular job, IMHO. Like his eyes, memory, and a cell phone (I'm making an assumption on that last one).

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:There is pretty obviously terrible reporting here. As written, it makes no sense.

LTC holder (LTC) was going through the drive through of his friend's restaurant when he noticed that it was being robbed. Apparently the restaurant employee was not too distracted by the robbery to finish LTC's transaction and give him his food.

LTC then needs to drive across the street to get his gun. Does LTC live across the street? That's the only thing that makes sense for this part.

LTC decides to open fire as the BG's are leaving the restaurant, but does not even bother to get a description of their vehicle. Based on the poor shooting and lack of a description, maybe LTC is nearsighted and left his glasses 4 blocks down the road with his other gun? I'm still struggling with the whole "gun across the street" thing.

That said, it was night time and if the friend had asked LTC to keep an eye on his restaurant, then he might have been justified using deadly force to recover the stolen property (if he could in fact see for sure that the BG's had the stolen property with them). However IMHO, a better course of action would have been to call 911, and get a good description of the BG's and their vehicle. If he felt like being a hero he could have stayed close enough to get a decent cell phone video of the men and their license plate.

A gun is a tool, like a hammer. But just because I have a hammer does not mean that I always need to use it. Sometimes other tools are better suited to the task at hand. Here, LTC had many other tools that would have been much better for this particular job, IMHO. Like his eyes, memory, and a cell phone (I'm making an assumption on that last one).
:iagree: If he had time to drive across the street retrieve is weapon. He had time to call the leo observe what type of car they were driving and a description of the robbers. At least that is what I would have done.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Pawpaw wrote:I'm surprised he wasn't at least charged with disorderly conduct for shooting across a public road. :headscratch
Sounds about right :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I'm surprised he wasn't at least charged with disorderly conduct for shooting across a public road. :headscratch
I was serious. That is the correct charge for shooting across a road.
PC §42.01 wrote:PC §42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
<snip>
(9) discharges a firearm on or across a public road;
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Pawpaw wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:
I was serious. That is the correct charge for shooting across a road.
PC §42.01 wrote:PC §42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
<snip>
(9) discharges a firearm on or across a public road;
I was also. That statement coincided with my memory of the Texas Penal Code as studied in the Pasadena Police Academy those many years ago.(1978)
:coolgleamA:

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Oh!! The little devil icon made me thing you were being sarcastic. My apologies. :tiphat:

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Pawpaw wrote:Oh!! The little devil icon made me thing you were being sarcastic. My apologies. :tiphat:
No offense taken so None needed.

I speak sarcasm as my second language. Even when I am serious.
:coolgleamA:

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”