Channel2-How to survive a drive-thru robbery

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Channel2-How to survive a drive-thru robbery

Post by Scott B. »

Steve5115 wrote:BTW -- I've had the most severe headache all morning. It does cause major stress to have an encounter like that.
Understood.

What lessons if any did you take away from the incident? Were you happy with your response, how you handled it, awareness, anything you'd have done differently upon reflection?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Steve5115 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I unbuckle my seat belt when pulling into any drive through type arrangement. Avoids having to do the unbuckle/draw thing.

Great story from local news.

Steve5115 - curious, did you call and report your encounter?
No, I did not. When he saw that I had a gun in the car he ran away. Totally messed up guy. Screaming at the car in front of me then approached my car with cash in one hand and fists clinched as if to fight. Motioned to him to go away twice as he approached then pulled my gun up as he got to the passenger door. This happened about 6:10 am.

BTW -- I've had the most severe headache all morning. It does cause major stress to have an encounter like that.
Totally understand your stress level as well as the tension headache, and I'm not intending to sharp shoot your actions.

However, I'd suggest that if we ever feel the need to show our gun under the circumstances that you described it would be best if we also called it in to report it. Not in the vein of 'telling on ourselves ', but to report the threatening person exhibiting characteristics of emotional disturbance, and the fact that when he approached your passenger side door in a threatening manner you presented your firearm to deter him. It would also be (or should be) understandable if you waited until you were in a safe place to make the call (within a few blocks of work, so waited till you were inside the building, etc). I feel that reporting an incident like this accomplishes a couple things:
1. Makes law enforcement aware of a potential threat.
2. Paints the initial impression of responding officers if someone else had not seen the threat's actions, but had seen you with a gun & called that in.

Again, I wasn't there & in your driver's seat, so this is just my thoughts in the event someone else happens to experience something similar. It's definitely a blessing that the fella had just enough clarity to recognize you were not the victim he was looking for and moved on.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Mike S wrote:
Steve5115 wrote:
Scott B. wrote:I unbuckle my seat belt when pulling into any drive through type arrangement. Avoids having to do the unbuckle/draw thing.

Great story from local news.

Steve5115 - curious, did you call and report your encounter?
No, I did not. When he saw that I had a gun in the car he ran away. Totally messed up guy. Screaming at the car in front of me then approached my car with cash in one hand and fists clinched as if to fight. Motioned to him to go away twice as he approached then pulled my gun up as he got to the passenger door. This happened about 6:10 am.

BTW -- I've had the most severe headache all morning. It does cause major stress to have an encounter like that.
Totally understand your stress level as well as the tension headache, and I'm not intending to sharp shoot your actions.

However, I'd suggest that if we ever feel the need to show our gun under the circumstances that you described it would be best if we also called it in to report it. Not in the vein of 'telling on ourselves ', but to report the threatening person exhibiting characteristics of emotional disturbance, and the fact that when he approached your passenger side door in a threatening manner you presented your firearm to deter him. It would also be (or should be) understandable if you waited until you were in a safe place to make the call (within a few blocks of work, so waited till you were inside the building, etc). I feel that reporting an incident like this accomplishes a couple things:
1. Makes law enforcement aware of a potential threat.
2. Paints the initial impression of responding officers if someone else had not seen the threat's actions, but had seen you with a gun & called that in.

Again, I wasn't there & in your driver's seat, so this is just my thoughts in the event someone else happens to experience something similar. It's definitely a blessing that the fella had just enough clarity to recognize you were not the victim he was looking for and moved on.
I agree totally. Even more, what if the BG called the cops to report a MWAG? Then you have to explain your way out of that.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

While it 'could happen' I very much doubt a criminal and/or nutcase would do a MWAG call to the gendarmes.

Chances are this type individual wants nothing to do with anyone in law enforcement.

Were I in such circumstance as the OP I would probably call the police, but I wouldn't be too terribly worried about the other guy calling.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Another good reason to keep all car doors locked and windows rolled up. Also, dont wait till your car doors automaticly lock by them selves, lock then yourself as soon as you get in your car. When i go to the store or shopping, if i see suspicious guys hanging around i dont even park there, i just leave and go somewhere else. Stay in yellow alert at all times. Anyway, glad you didnt have to shot someone.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Take Down Sicko,

Your blue coloring kills my eyes.

Please, no mas.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”