Channel2-How to survive a drive-thru robbery

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Steve5115
Posts in topic: 2

Channel2-How to survive a drive-thru robbery

Post by Steve5115 »

I had to draw my gun this morning at an intersection in the Galleria. Just doing so made the meth head run away. Good info in the below story.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/how-t ... ru-robbery
Lesson One:
1. Leave at least 10 feet between you and the car ahead of you, so you can escape
2. Scan the area outside your car, so you are aware of what’s happening around you
3. If you see someone approaching your car, react and drive away, using the space ahead of you to get out
4. Napolitano says the key is to react quickly and without hesitating.

“It’s time to go, go, go. You need to accelerate away from that situation as quickly as possible, putting space between you and the attacker,” Napolitano says.

Lesson Two:
1. If you have a gun in the car or in your purse or on your person, draw the weapon.
2. Point the weapon at the attacker to drive him away.
3. Drive off as quickly as possible.

Jim Napolitano has trained federal agents to escape from the most dangerous situations you can imagine, so he knows what he’s talking about.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Channel2-How to survive a drive-thru robbery

Post by Abraham »

Or, don't use drive thrus for a quick bite.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am stunned, absolutely stunned!! The video and even the newscasters after the video spoke very positively about having and using a gun. The newscaster made a point to say, if you have a gun, have it ready to use because you may need it much faster than you think. This coming from a major network affiliate in the fourth largest city in the U.S. marks a sea-change in gun advocacy.

CH11 has been my favored news channel for years, but I may have to start watching Ch. 2.

Chas.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I am stunned, absolutely stunned!! The video and even the newscasters after the video spoke very positively about having and using a gun. The newscaster made a point to say, if you have a gun, have it ready to use because you may need it much faster than you think. This coming from a major network affiliate in the fourth largest city in the U.S. marks a sea-change in gun advocacy.

CH11 has been my favored news channel for years, but I may have to start watching Ch. 2.

Chas.

Yeah I was surprised too. I have never seen a report that actually encouraged people to do more than "give in" to what ever the poor misunderstood miscreants want.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Good advice, but not all drive thru's are designed so that driving away is an option.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

You are the most vulnerable while getting your burger and fries and paying for them. Unless, you have an armed partner with a gun discreetly at the ready.

Plus, I would avoid ALL drive thrus, as in banks, pharmacies, etc.

Get off your hind quarters and go in.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Jusme wrote:Yeah I was surprised too. I have never seen a report that actually encouraged people to do more than "give in" to what ever the poor misunderstood miscreants want.
Almost as if they are actually worried about our safety and want us to defend ourselves :eek6

EDIT: this is really good advice, my wife frequently goes into drive thru's for her job. Just sent this to her
Last edited by vjallen75 on Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Abraham wrote:You are the most vulnerable while getting your burger and fries and paying for them. Unless, you have an armed partner with a gun discreetly at the ready.

:iagree: Especially in the Houston area.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I unbuckle my seat belt when pulling into any drive through type arrangement. Avoids having to do the unbuckle/draw thing.

Great story from local news.

Steve5115 - curious, did you call and report your encounter?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

That is amazing. Shannon must be throwing a huge fit about now.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:You are the most vulnerable while getting your burger and fries and paying for them. Unless, you have an armed partner with a gun discreetly at the ready.

You are similarly vulnerable at a red light, especially if you are in a middle lane.

Topic author
Steve5115

Post by Steve5115 »

Scott B. wrote:I unbuckle my seat belt when pulling into any drive through type arrangement. Avoids having to do the unbuckle/draw thing.

Great story from local news.

Steve5115 - curious, did you call and report your encounter?
No, I did not. When he saw that I had a gun in the car he ran away. Totally messed up guy. Screaming at the car in front of me then approached my car with cash in one hand and fists clinched as if to fight. Motioned to him to go away twice as he approached then pulled my gun up as he got to the passenger door. This happened about 6:10 am.

BTW -- I've had the most severe headache all morning. It does cause major stress to have an encounter like that.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I went to the station's webpage to the Contact form. I sent the general manager the following email:

I have just seen your report on surviving a drive through robbery, and I must commend you for your mature references to the defensive use of firearms. Most news organizations refuse to acknowledge the legitimate use of firearms by law abiding citizens. It is indeed refreshing to see this subject approached in a manner which recognizes a citizen's right to use whatever is necessary when lives are at risk.
As both an attorney and a firearms instructor I thank you for your handling of this subject.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

One more bit of advice. The video suggests leaving 10 feet between your car and the car in front of you. A rule that I like to use is that if you can see the bottom of the car's rear tires ahead of you, you have enough distance to turn sharply and pull away without hitting the other car.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Mr. Napolitano was my instructor for getting my permit. I enjoyed having him as an instructor. I thought the best part of his class was going through different scenarios and what to do to. Including what to do in the case that your with someone and both armed or if only one person is armed.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”