Would you shoot?

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Wmsnider
Posts in topic: 2

Would you shoot?

Post by Wmsnider »

What would you do in this situation? Would you as a licensed LTC holder shoot at this guy (if it were Texas). Seems like immanent danger to me. But its a PVC pipe, so is it life-threatening?

http://www.khou.com/news/nation-now/vid ... /260648432

All opinions are welcome.

thanks!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Would you shoot?

Post by Beiruty »

He was charged with aggravated assault. In Texas, that justifies the use of deadly force.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Yep!

PVC pipe is still hard enough to cause serious bodily injury or death. I hope I never have to make that call, but I won't stand idly by while he attacks me or mine, or even other innocents.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Depends. I'd be very likely to draw.

If I was with my kids, maybe. Could we escape?
If he was going after one of my kids, more likely. Again, I would prefer us all to escape.
If he was coming at me and I was alone? Not likely. Seemed like a drug rage with a plastic pipe. I can run.

If I ran and was pursued? Hard to know.... would prefer to escape rather than shoot.

Not worth the hassle of shooting a random drug crazy if I can evade them, vs having to live with the legal and emotional repercussions of shooting someone. That changes immediately if I'm cornered and feel that I'm in imminent danger of grave bodily harm.

That nut looked avoidable. YMMV
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Wmsnider

Post by Wmsnider »

RoyGBiv, I think i am with you on this one.

I probably would have just ran off.

If he came up behind me and I was with my wife and he smacked her in the head, I probably would be more likely to take care of business.
Or if the pipe sheared and he was trying to stab me with the jagged pipe.
But I don't necessarily think the guy deserved to be killed in this instance.
I thought it was a great border-line scenario for discussion. Would it stand up in court if you did shoot in this exact case?....maybe so, by the book. Morally...probably not worth it.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

First choice is to escape if possible. If I am not able to escape with my family for some reason then I would shoot to stop the threat. I won't shoot just to protect someone I don't know, but that's just my personal decision.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

I have often seen the bases of PVC target stands filled with cement for stability. Would you know if that PVC pipe is hollow or not? Create as much distance as possible but if that's not working it's time to TCB.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I assumed it was a short piece of PVC, but that's not the case. It looked to be almost a full joint of at least 1 1/4" and since it didn't flex much, it was likely at least schedule 40 if not 80. Swinging a long PVC pipe like that could very well kill you or cause serious permanent injury, if hit in the head or neck. At my age with a questionable right knee, running away wouldn't be an option. Might have to call that one suicide by old fart.

Chas.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Coming at me with pipe, swinging like a wild animal and trying to harm and/or kill me? I'd do whatever it takes to stop the threat.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:At may age with a questionable right knee, running away wouldn't be an option. Might have to call that one suicide by old fart.

Chas.
"rlol"

That is funny and reminds me when I took my chl class years ago, instructor was in his mid 70's, and he told me that if fight comes to him it'll be the barrel of his fine polished colt .45 that would do the negotiating.

Something to ponder on, for all the youngsters out there. Old farts are not going to be in good mood and are likely to make you have a really bad day if you try and mess with them. :tiphat:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Beiruty wrote:He was charged with aggravated assault. In Texas, that justifies the use of deadly force.
There you go.

Attacking me or my family like that will get you shot.

If I were a passerby and witnessed this I would be a little slower on the trigger, but would probably draw, while making sure he was not coming after my family if they were with me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

He would be either in the hospital or dead if i was in the place , running only leaves other to deal with it and if i was with my family i would do it quicker and take out the threat to protect them not run away !
leeproductsonline.com

nyj

Post by nyj »

Only if he's coming at me.

Dude who got hit should have fought back.

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

I watched this video once and then immediately began to answer: NO! I absolutely wouldn't have shot.

But then I watched a second time, this time the complete original video and I changed my mind.

This man came all the way from across the street, unprovoked, and randomly launched into his victims. One victim was struck, began to retreat, fell to the ground and he was chased after and struck again and chased after again.

So there could be two questions:

1) In Texas, would shooting him be justified? - I'd argue yes.
2) Would I have shot him? - I definitely would have if I had the right presence of mind to react quickly enough, especially if I thought me or others were still in danger.

But it seems that in hindsight, this particular situation worked out for the "best" since no one was seriously hurt, shot, or killed. Plus the attacker might be mentally ill.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I assumed it was a short piece of PVC, but that's not the case. It looked to be almost a full joint of at least 1 1/4" and since it didn't flex much, it was likely at least schedule 40 if not 80. Swinging a long PVC pipe like that could very well kill you or cause serious permanent injury, if hit in the head or neck. At may age with a questionable right knee, running away wouldn't be an option. Might have to call that one suicide by old fart.

Chas.
:iagree: :thumbs2:
Me too. Too old, fat and beat up by life to run. If I can't turn him, I have to stop him.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”