TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5693
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby ELB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Last edited by ELB on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2642
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:41 pm

(edited after re-reading the news reports)- Only thing wrong is the pictures were taken from the robber's hospital room and not the morgue.
Last edited by bblhd672 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts: 8140
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby joe817 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:49 pm

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5693
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby ELB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:05 pm

bblhd672 wrote:Will be interesting to see if the LTC holder will eventually be charged, since the threat had left the building.


I tend to doubt it. The article says the robber pointed the rifle at him. Assuming this is not contradicted by some other evidence, that is a new threat. The LTCer certainly had a right to be where he was. If the LTCer had his gun in his hand, visible to the robber, it may be sticky, and the robber's attorney may try to argue "self-defense" but I doubt that will fly either. After all, the robber had already cleary identified himself as a lethal threat.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16560
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Note the article said the "customer" (a/k/a shooter, a/k/a good guy) was not arrested. WHAT!!!? He didn't have to spend his kids' college fund and take out a second mortgage to hire an attorney? How can this be? /sarcasm

Chas.
Image

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby ScottDLS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Yep. Now we need to "Monday morning quarterback" the LTC and say how we all would have de-escalated it with the non-lethal ninja chop to his arm, avoiding the necessity of drilling the perp with our CCW. :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


viking1000
Senior Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby viking1000 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:24 pm

He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
Good shooting in my book.


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby vjallen75 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:01 pm

viking1000 wrote:He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
Good shooting in my book.


:iagree: He went outside to make sure his wife was safe. Like most, my family is the reason I carry. Their safety is my number one priority.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.


philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5523
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby philip964 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:48 pm

A brave man going up against an AK with a handgun.

But you gota do what you gota do when its your family.


Rex B
Senior Member
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby Rex B » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:59 pm

bblhd672 wrote:(edited after re-reading the news reports)- Only thing wrong is the pictures were taken from the robber's hospital room and not the morgue.


Well, they did say he's on life support. That's one step out of the morgue.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

User avatar

Jim Beaux
Senior Member
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby Jim Beaux » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:20 pm

ELB wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Will be interesting to see if the LTC holder will eventually be charged, since the threat had left the building.


I tend to doubt it. The article says the robber pointed the rifle at him. Assuming this is not contradicted by some other evidence, that is a new threat. The LTCer certainly had a right to be where he was. If the LTCer had his gun in his hand, visible to the robber, it may be sticky, and the robber's attorney may try to argue "self-defense" but I doubt that will fly either. After all, the robber had already cleary identified himself as a lethal threat.


Should be ok

Penal Code
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.


Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown


MechAg94
Senior Member
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby MechAg94 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:31 pm

vjallen75 wrote:
viking1000 wrote:He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
Good shooting in my book.


:iagree: He went outside to make sure his wife was safe. Like most, my family is the reason I carry. Their safety is my number one priority.


IMO, seeing this in the article also seems to show this is a guy who knows how to give good information to police such that they knew the robber pointed his gun at him and he went outside out of concern for his wife's safety.

User avatar

LAYGO
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: Cross Roads, TX (Denton Co)

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby LAYGO » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 am

MechAg94 wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
viking1000 wrote:He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
Good shooting in my book.


:iagree: He went outside to make sure his wife was safe. Like most, my family is the reason I carry. Their safety is my number one priority.


IMO, seeing this in the article also seems to show this is a guy who knows how to give good information to police such that they knew the robber pointed his gun at him and he went outside out of concern for his wife's safety.


Is it even necessary to qualify it that the BG pointed his rifle at the GG?

Even listed in the PC quoted above states this, bolded & read as a complete sentence:

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.


You shouldn't even "call out" to the BG to make him turn at you. BGs don't run away facing you.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 - Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26!

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby ScottDLS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm

You're supposed to shoot the bad guy in the calf as he's running away, just deep enough so he can't run anymore, but not too deep that risks hitting an artery. Anything else is "shootin' him in the back" which will get you hanged. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

Javier730
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Postby Javier730 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm

philip964 wrote:A brave man going up against an AK with a handgun.

But you gota do what you gota do when its your family.

:iagree: Good thing it worked out for him. :thumbs2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann


Return to “Self-Defense Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests