TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Post by ELB »

Last edited by ELB on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Post by bblhd672 »

(edited after re-reading the news reports)- Only thing wrong is the pictures were taken from the robber's hospital room and not the morgue.
Last edited by bblhd672 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

joe817

Post by joe817 »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

bblhd672 wrote:Will be interesting to see if the LTC holder will eventually be charged, since the threat had left the building.
I tend to doubt it. The article says the robber pointed the rifle at him. Assuming this is not contradicted by some other evidence, that is a new threat. The LTCer certainly had a right to be where he was. If the LTCer had his gun in his hand, visible to the robber, it may be sticky, and the robber's attorney may try to argue "self-defense" but I doubt that will fly either. After all, the robber had already cleary identified himself as a lethal threat.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Note the article said the "customer" (a/k/a shooter, a/k/a good guy) was not arrested. WHAT!!!? He didn't have to spend his kids' college fund and take out a second mortgage to hire an attorney? How can this be? /sarcasm

Chas.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Yep. Now we need to "Monday morning quarterback" the LTC and say how we all would have de-escalated it with the non-lethal ninja chop to his arm, avoiding the necessity of drilling the perp with our CCW. :roll:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

viking1000

Post by viking1000 »

He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
Good shooting in my book.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

viking1000 wrote:He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
:iagree: He went outside to make sure his wife was safe. Like most, my family is the reason I carry. Their safety is my number one priority.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

A brave man going up against an AK with a handgun.

But you gota do what you gota do when its your family.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

bblhd672 wrote:(edited after re-reading the news reports)- Only thing wrong is the pictures were taken from the robber's hospital room and not the morgue.
Well, they did say he's on life support. That's one step out of the morgue.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

ELB wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Will be interesting to see if the LTC holder will eventually be charged, since the threat had left the building.
I tend to doubt it. The article says the robber pointed the rifle at him. Assuming this is not contradicted by some other evidence, that is a new threat. The LTCer certainly had a right to be where he was. If the LTCer had his gun in his hand, visible to the robber, it may be sticky, and the robber's attorney may try to argue "self-defense" but I doubt that will fly either. After all, the robber had already cleary identified himself as a lethal threat.
Should be ok

Penal Code
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or

(2) the actor reasonably believes that:

(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;

(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or

(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

vjallen75 wrote:
viking1000 wrote:He did a good job , the bad guy had already robbed folks inside the store, by following the idiot outside he took the fight outside not inside where others could be in the line of fire.
:iagree: He went outside to make sure his wife was safe. Like most, my family is the reason I carry. Their safety is my number one priority.
IMO, seeing this in the article also seems to show this is a guy who knows how to give good information to police such that they knew the robber pointed his gun at him and he went outside out of concern for his wife's safety.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

MechAg94 wrote:
vjallen75 wrote:
IMO, seeing this in the article also seems to show this is a guy who knows how to give good information to police such that they knew the robber pointed his gun at him and he went outside out of concern for his wife's safety.
Is it even necessary to qualify it that the BG pointed his rifle at the GG?

Even listed in the PC quoted above states this, bolded & read as a complete sentence:
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
You shouldn't even "call out" to the BG to make him turn at you. BGs don't run away facing you.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

ScottDLS

Re: TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Post by ScottDLS »

You're supposed to shoot the bad guy in the calf as he's running away, just deep enough so he can't run anymore, but not too deep that risks hitting an artery. Anything else is "shootin' him in the back" which will get you hanged. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Javier730

Re: TX: Robber with AK47 shot by Waffle House customer

Post by Javier730 »

philip964 wrote:A brave man going up against an AK with a handgun.

But you gota do what you gota do when its your family.
:iagree: Good thing it worked out for him. :thumbs2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”