TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5613
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

Postby ELB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:34 am

http://fox17.com/news/local/walmart-emp ... iple-times

Guy shows up and begins stabbing his wife, a Walmart employee, apparently with a hunting knife.

Up to four employees grabbed him and got the knife away. He then took a box cutter and began cutting himself, making suicidal comments. Employees took that away from him too. I believe I would not have done that as long as he was not threatening me or someone else. Wife went to hospital in critical condition.

More details. http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/loc ... t-date-his

Her Gofundme page says she is recovering. No word on whether Walmart has fired the intervening employees...
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

Postby vjallen75 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:39 pm

ELB wrote:http://fox17.com/news/local/walmart-employees-help-stop-attack-on-co-worker-after-man-stabs-wife-multiple-times

Guy shows up and begins stabbing his wife, a Walmart employee, apparently with a hunting knife.

Up to four employees grabbed him and got the knife away. He then took a box cutter and began cutting himself, making suicidal comments. Employees took that away from him too. I believe I would not have done that as long as he was not threatening me or someone else. Wife went to hospital in critical condition.

More details. http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/loc ... t-date-his

Her Gofundme page says she is recovering. No word on whether Walmart has fired the intervening employees...


Good thing the employees were there to stop him, he could have killed her. As far as what would you do? You wouldn't have stopped the guy if he was threatening to kill himself? I somewhat agree, you would have to assess the situation. 1, Are you carrying? Well yes I always carry especially to Walmart. After you disarm him do you hold him at gun point while the policy arrive since he has a deadly weapon and you fear for your life or do you stand there and wait while he does harm to himself. I think the employees did the right thing as far as disarming him further.

Hopefully she will make a full recovery AND I hope they don't fire the employees. They did the right thing. You should never get in trouble for the right thing.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5613
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

Postby ELB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 pm

vjallen75 wrote: ...You wouldn't have stopped the guy if he was threatening to kill himself? ...


Nope.

I might risk my life and limb to protect an innocent third party. Not to "protect" a guy with a blade who started the whole mess.

I am armed 99.999% of the time, and always at Walmart, but it wouldn't matter. For one thing, it is illegal to use deadly force to try to keep someone from committing suicide. Ergo, that means hands-on, or pepper spray, or club, or something else less lethal, and that is a very ("YUGE!") risky proposition against someone with a blade. Nope, not for me.

But I don't think that if I had been there from the start that we would have ever reached the point of his attempted/alleged suicide. If I saw him going after some unarmed gal with a hunting knife, likely there would have been some shooting in short order.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

Postby vjallen75 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:10 pm

ELB wrote:
vjallen75 wrote: ...You wouldn't have stopped the guy if he was threatening to kill himself? ...


Nope.

I might risk my life and limb to protect an innocent third party. Not to "protect" a guy with a blade who started the whole mess.

I am armed 99.999% of the time, and always at Walmart, but it wouldn't matter. For one thing, it is illegal to use deadly force to try to keep someone from committing suicide. Ergo, that means hands-on, or pepper spray, or club, or something else less lethal, and that is a very ("YUGE!") risky proposition against someone with a blade. Nope, not for me.

But I don't think that if I had been there from the start that we would have ever reached the point of his attempted/alleged suicide. If I saw him going after some unarmed gal with a hunting knife, likely there would have been some shooting in short order.


:tiphat: Point well taken. I didn't look at it that way from the beginning. I was looking at it in the sense of what if he came at me/another innocent third party. Your position is once he is not a threat to anyone else other than himself your job is done?
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

User avatar

Topic author
ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5613
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: TN: Walmart Employees Intervene in Stabbing

Postby ELB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm

vjallen75 wrote:...Your position is once he is not a threat to anyone else other than himself your job is done?


'zackly.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


Return to “Self-Defense Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest