OK: Cops, crazies, wpn retention, "sight picture"

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

OK: Cops, crazies, wpn retention, "sight picture"

Post by ELB »

This is labelled "Graphic", and it is, someone dies, but no more graphic than this one: This is why you don't draw on a drawn gun!

I didn't hear any bad words, but I can't understand most of what was being said, especially when the screaming starts.

There is a shorter version that shows from the point just before the cop enters the bus, but I think it is educational to see the lead-up to the final confrontation. You can think about what you'd do if you were on the bus when this guy gets onboard (or when the fight starts). Also food for thought on gun retention, holding your gun when entering close spaces, and so forth.

What the bus driver did not know is that this guy had already had one interaction with the police that day. The police had been called when the man was observed banging his head on the floor (at a church I think), apparently upset about impending divorce. The police took him to a hospital for a mental evaluation where he was evaluated, treated I guess, and released. He then possibly broke a window on a car, then jumped in another car with two women (who didn't know him) and told them to drive. After about a mile he got out, and somewhere in there someone called the police. The police started looking for him (don't know if they realized it was the same guy from earlier in the day). He ran down the street and got on the bus, which is where the video picked up. The two cops who entered the bus were in the area looking for him because of the "kidnapping" report.
USAF 1982-2005

nightmare69

Re: OK: Cops, crazies, wpn retention, "sight picture"

Post by nightmare69 »

The female shouldn't have gone lethal right off the bat IMO. She did and once the suspect started fighting with her going for her gun it was a deadly force situation and the end result was justified. Thankfully she had backup there in seconds or she could have easily ended up as another LODD. She made a lot of mistakes that will be shown to new recruits to learn from for decades.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

"But why did he have to shoot the poor man so many times?"
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It is easier to watch on the internet and make judgment calls. That aside I think the LEO would have been better off if she would have not went into the bus so fast. Back off and observe at what you are facing first. She just went in hot with pistol drawn.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”